Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 559

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 117637 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #855 on: August 13, 2022, 12:42:02 AM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62528689

Salman Rushdie is not doing well, after the attack.

Exactly what happens when security is not absolute.

As previously noted "absolute security" is mythical. The only way to be certain you cannot be killed is to be dead.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 13, 2022, 02:18:52 PM »

Vatican News

3 hours

The Holy See's Permanent Observer to the Organization of American States expresses concern over the social and political situation in Nicaragua, calling for dialogue that serves the common good.

---------------

Poor Nicaragua, they have had so many problems.

When Carter was President the USA supported the Sandinistas, and then President Reagan came along and supported the Contras, so the USA ended up supporting both sides in the civil war in Nicaragua, while Nicaraguans died and their nation suffered.

We need to learn, and we need to rise up, and we need to save lives by promoting peace and democracy in Nicaragua.

The Western Hemisphere is almost all completely free and democratic now, we only have Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua, that have the worst problems so far as not having democracy and good human rights. We need to work hard in those three nations so that we can promote peace and democracy, and avoid civil wars, and save lives. Democracy can be attained peacefully with wisdom and hard work.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 13, 2022, 02:59:00 PM »

We need to make friends with Nicaragua, and Cuba, and Venezuela, by working together on projects of mutual benefit, and then as we develop a better relationship with them then we can work on coming together on more deeper set issues.

We can work with Nicaragua, Venezuela, and Cuba, on the issue of Global Warming, we can help them go Green and Clean and as we work together with them on Global Warming then we can work together to improve our relationship on other issues. We can also work together with the World Bank and others on the issue of food insecurity, and inflation, etc, and we can work together so that everyone can have food and supplies on the shelves of the stores, and medical care.

When I lived in a bad neighborhood in an R.V. park, I had 3 barbecue grills, and a blender, and I made tacos and burritos and margaritas and barbecued chicken and other great stuff for my neighbors, I fed all of my neighbors and served them margaritas, and that is the same way that we need to handle international relations here in the USA, we need to have a relationship with the people in our international community. You do not build a wall and hide behind a gun, instead you fire up the barbecue and get busy cooking and you have feasts with your neighbors and celebrate the blessing of good food and margaritas. As long as you have good food and margaritas then you have a good foundation to build on, and it is the same with international relations.

I used to have a lot of issues with China, and then God gave me the daughter of a Chinese general as a roommate, God put me together with China, and I was able to talk with her about all of my issues, and we made peace. We agreed that our leaders must be wise and patient, and that we need to have peace and prosperity. That is how we need to do international relations.

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 14, 2022, 11:19:30 AM »

cnn.com/2022/08/14/africa/egypt-fire-intl/index.html

41 dead including an unknown number of children.

The "good news" is that it sounds like an accidental electrical fire.

Still awful.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 14, 2022, 11:22:04 AM »

It's good to hear that Salman Rushdie is awake and on the road to recovery, though full recovery is impossible.

I guess he'd lowered his guard, but he should never have had to have it up.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 14, 2022, 11:32:21 AM »

We're lucky only one is dead, at least so far. 17 injured. No motive known, yet.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/14/us/pennsylvania-car-drives-through-crowd/index.html

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 14, 2022, 11:49:41 AM »

You can't make bad things go away by pretending they don't exist.

Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 14, 2022, 12:26:08 PM »

As previously noted "absolute security" is mythical. The only way to be certain you cannot be killed is to be dead.

Not so.
These days you can have absolute security.
In Rushdie's case, where were the armed  guys and gals shooting the attacker before he stabbed Rushdie?

Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 14, 2022, 12:30:22 PM »

It's good to hear that Salman Rushdie is awake and on the road to recovery, though full recovery is impossible.

He should never have gone down The Satanic Versus path or whatever it was that caused the fatwa to be issued.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 12:32:23 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 14, 2022, 12:52:59 PM »

Not so.
These days you can have absolute security.
In Rushdie's case, where were the armed  guys and gals shooting the attacker before he stabbed Rushdie?
If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 12:54:50 PM by Hairy Lime »
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 14, 2022, 01:52:31 PM »

He should never have gone down The Satanic Versus path or whatever it was that caused the fatwa to be issued.

You should crawl deeper into your bunker, Bambi. It is not safe when you can still communicate with the surface world.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 14, 2022, 05:16:29 PM »

Bambu believes you should never express an opinion or take a stand for anything.

Holly Martins

« Reply #868 on: August 14, 2022, 06:49:38 PM »

Did you see that dress she was wearing?  She was asking for it!

Holly Martins

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 559