Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 580

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 122699 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #3315 on: March 29, 2023, 07:15:45 AM »

Would not one step toward absolute security be keeping weapons out of the hands of lunatics?

Yes.
The NYT reports that the Nashville school shooter was a former student who had maps of the school and details of its security protocols.
Shooter reportedly entered the school by a side door armed with two assault-style rifles and a handgun.
Metropolitan Nashville Police Department spokesman reportedly said that "The school does not have a police officer guarding it".

President Biden has reportedly said:
"So I call on Congress, again, to pass my assault weapons ban. It's about time that we begin to make some progress."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 07:20:48 AM by bambu. »
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: March 29, 2023, 07:22:18 AM »

Do schools in Australia have armed guards?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: March 29, 2023, 08:03:40 AM »

No...as far as I know.
Assault rifles are banned in society...handguns are banned in society...bolt action rifles are mostly in rural areas, on farms. Farmers in general are not into massacres in schools.
On the rare occasions there have been rural shootings other than "domestics", the victims have been cops, and govt officials involved in policing land clearing etc.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 08:10:17 AM by bambu. »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: March 29, 2023, 02:54:53 PM »

Here is an idea that I just sent to Mayor Bass...

Los Angeles is so beautiful, with so much to offer, it is so sad that we have people who are out there on the streets homeless who do not get to experience the magic of Los Angeles.

As the homeless people are put into housing, then there needs to be day trips for the people, they need buses for the homeless people where they can all take day trips after they get into housing and after they get cleaned up, and the people can go visit the many great destinations in Los Angeles. They can do it every Saturday, or whatever.

The same way that the school kids have field trips, then there needs to be day trips for the formerly homeless people as they are helped, and the people can visit the many great destinations in Los Angeles.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: March 29, 2023, 03:30:54 PM »

I had a friend who owned and operated a Board and Care Home for formerly homeless people who were mentally ill, Her whole family worked at their Board and Care Home that they owned, and they used to charter a bus and take the people from the Board and Care Home to Las Vegas for a weekend in Vegas. That kind of stuff is great for people.

Los Angeles does not need to do expensive stuff like a trip to Vegas for the weekend, but instead they can just do cool little day trips every Saturday for the formerly homeless people, to Olvera Street, and to museums, etc, etc, etc, to the beach, to the Griffith Park Observatory, etc, etc, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: March 29, 2023, 03:50:38 PM »

I would love to own this apartment complex where I live, I would rent out all of the apartments to Film Students from Chapman Film School, and we could shoot films here, and we could write movies and television shows, and we have a swimming pool and barbecue grills, etc. I think we have around 70 apartments here.

There was an apartment complex by Oki Dog in L.A. where a bunch of Punk Rockers lived, and the complex was a famous hangout for Punk Rockers. The same thing could be done here in the OC for Film Makers and for people from the Film Industry.

Where Suzanne Pleshette lived, at Empire West, her whole building was full of people from the Entertainment Industry, and the same thing could happen here in the OC for Film Students, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: March 29, 2023, 03:57:41 PM »

Inevitably Whoopi Goldberg would run her mouth and make a bad situation worse.

And so it went today when she called for a ban on the AR-15 rifle after the deadly school shootings in Nashville.

Let us start with this, let us start with this. The AR-15-style rifle needs to go, period. Period, Goldberg said during their discussion following the Nashville shooting.
You cannot hunt with it. There is nothing left after you shot it. We all know what it does. Until that conversation can be had, nothing is going to happen, that is the issue.

[/i] Well.
First, the Nashville shooter did not use an AR 15

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/2023/03/29/surveillance-footage-shows-nashville-shooter-used-a-carbine-which-fires-pistol-rounds-not-an-ar-15/

Second, a Washington Post survey this week asked AR 15 owners why they bought the popular gun that is owned by 16 million Americans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/27/ar-15-facts-what-we-learned/

A conversation should proceed but dwell on facts, not opinions that were not well researched.

i
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 04:32:35 PM by Espnthree »

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: March 29, 2023, 04:02:06 PM »

Inevitably Whoopi Goldberg would run her mouth and make a bad situation worse.

And so it went today when she called for a ban on the AR-15 rifle after the deadly school shootings in Nashville.

Let us start with this, let us start with this. The AR-15-style rifle needs to go, period. Period, Goldberg said during their discussion following the Nashville shooting.
You cannot hunt with it. There is nothing left after you shot it. We all know what it does. Until that conversation can be had, nothing is going to happen, that is the issue.

[/i] Well.
First, the Nashville shooter did not use an AR 15

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/2023/03/29/surveillance-footage-shows-nashville-shooter-used-a-carbine-which-fires-pistol-rounds-not-an-ar-15/

Second, a Washington Post survey this week asked AR 15 owners why they bought the popular gun that is owned by 16 million Americans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/27/ar-15-facts-what-we-learned/

A conversation should proceed but dwell on facts, not opinions that were not well researched.

[url]

You realize none that means shit, right?

Oiled

• View Profile
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: March 29, 2023, 04:30:10 PM »

I had a friend who gave her son an apartment complex in Hollywood for his 18th Birthday. Her only command to him was that he donate 10% of the money to charity. She spent her whole life helping the homeless and helping people, and she wanted for her son to learn the joy of doing service and of doing charity as well.

Salute,

Tony V.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: March 29, 2023, 04:45:43 PM »

Quote from: EspDickWad

You mean facts like this, from the WaPo piece you linked (which I actually read)?

The AR15s mechanics, which allow shooters to easily fire bullets at a high velocity in rapid succession, make the weapon lethal and destructive. When the bullets penetrate the body, they create a blast effect that blows up organs and pulverizes bones. The weapon s power magnifies the impact of gun violence, both because of the number of victims and, for survivors, the longlasting effects on physical and mental health. In Sutherland Springs, Tex., where more than two dozen people were killed during an eight minute rampage in 2017, the additional 20 people injured continue to grapple with debilitating, lifelong conditions such as paralysis or infertility...

10 of the 17 deadliest U.S. mass killings since 2012 have involved AR15s.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: March 29, 2023, 04:50:01 PM »

This whole bit about waiting for more facts reminds me of a sketch where a doctor is trying to diagnose a patient who is gravely ill. 

Doctor: We really don't have enough here to make a diagnosis or suggest a treatment.  But we will know more after there is an autopsy.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: March 29, 2023, 05:26:32 PM »

When I once took the wrong exit from a roundabout/traffic circle .....about 25 years ago in Sydney, in my white delivery van with a bull bar on the front, mowers and yard equipment on board, also mrs bambu on her RDO (Rostered Day Off, one day per month you didn't have to go to your job but still got paid) in the van cabin.....mid-morning I arrived at the closed gates entry to a Jewish school.
In front of the closed gates was a man wearing a handgun in a holster "cop style"
He would've had to have had special govt permission to be carrying that gun.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: March 29, 2023, 05:51:54 PM »

When I once took the wrong exit from a roundabout/traffic circle .....about 25 years ago in Sydney, in my white delivery van with a bull bar on the front, mowers and yard equipment on board, also mrs bambu on her RDO (Rostered Day Off, one day per month you didn't have to go to your job but still got paid) in the van cabin.....mid-morning I arrived at the closed gates entry to a Jewish school.
In front of the closed gates was a man wearing a handgun in a holster "cop style"
He would've had to have had special govt permission to be carrying that gun.

If your countrymen are anything like you shooting first in Australia makes a lot of sense. Maybe that had something to do with why you all chose to make it so hard to get a gun down there. Either way, bless your little heart.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 580