Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 595

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 135326 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #3345 on: March 30, 2023, 03:08:45 PM »

As long as you're willing to concede that plenty of kids and loved ones are going to "accidentally" get killed as a result of a desire for family "protection", then who am I to tell you not to buy a weapon for such "protection." 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 03:24:42 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: March 30, 2023, 03:30:04 PM »

Whether assault type rifles are three or thirty percent of homicides, their impact on the level of public terror is large because their use is seen so often in mass shootings.
ALL types of guns are used in  shootings , regardless of the classifications. Handguns, in terms of numbers of people killed are, by far, the weapon of choice.  The killer in Nashville used a carbine rifle but immediately the media and the President zeroed in on banning the the AR 15, a gun that happens to be very popular with millions of Americans who use it for protection, hunting, and recreation.

So why not make them harder for loonies and troubled youth to own, and limit magazine capacity, and bolster background checks, and so on?
How do you do that in a country that protects individual rights? What constitutes a definition of
loonies, troubled youth? In the Nashville case we are told the killer left a detailed account of her motive.
Why is it still not published?
Because the investigaion is ongoing.
What investigation? Motive? Why not start by publishing her manifesto police confirm she wrote?

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: March 30, 2023, 06:17:55 PM »

The second amendment lays out a collective right granted to states. There is no individual right to bear arms. It is a fiction propagated by murderous bastards and profiteers bent on destroying the United States one school, mall and church at a time.

It is no surprise Red gets that wrong.
Well the Supreme Court got it wrong too, then.  And that's not likely to be overturned short of repealing the second amendment   There's plenty that can be done (even Heller allows for it) and Congress, if it ever found the intestinal fortitude, can do so, but refighting the individual right vs. collective right battle is a colossal waste of time.

However it is framed, personal liability insurance, strict storage and transfer and ammunition accounting laws need to be in place nationally.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: March 30, 2023, 06:26:33 PM »

The second amendment lays out a collective right granted to states. There is no individual right to bear arms. It is a fiction propagated by murderous bastards and profiteers bent on destroying the United States one school, mall and church at a time.

It is no surprise Red gets that wrong.
Well the Supreme Court got it wrong too, then.  And that's not likely to be overturned short of repealing the second amendment   There's plenty that can be done (even Heller allows for it) and Congress, if it ever found the intestinal fortitude, can do so, but refighting the individual right vs. collective right battle is a colossal waste of time.

However it is framed, personal liability insurance, strict storage and transfer and ammunition accounting laws need to be in place nationally.
Yes.  That goes to the intestinal fortitude thing. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: March 30, 2023, 06:28:25 PM »

Though I am glad to see you arguing for enacting common sense gun regulations that go beyond assault rifles.

I'd be the first to admit that regulating a small percentage of guns is a baby step.  And that's all we get.  As YG notes, it's a waste of time to attempt some large-scale retrofit of individual v collective rights. 
Why sleep at home when you can sleep in Congress?

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: March 30, 2023, 06:42:09 PM »

....zeroed in on banning the the AR 15, a gun that happens to be very popular with millions of Americans who use it for protection, hunting, and recreation....

How was Laudanum banned, a tincture of opium that was popular with millions of Americans who used it for sleep aid, intestinal problems, and recreation?  How did they ban it without treading on individual rights?

edit: why is Laudanumb so hard for me to spell?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 06:45:23 PM by Oilcan »

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: March 30, 2023, 08:48:56 PM »

....zeroed in on banning the the AR 15, a gun that happens to be very popular with millions of Americans who use it for protection, hunting, and recreation....

How was Laudanum banned, a tincture of opium that was popular with millions of Americans who used it for sleep aid, intestinal problems, and recreation?  How did they ban it without treading on individual rights?

There is no Constitutional protection for narcotics.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: March 30, 2023, 11:46:50 PM »

No constitutional protection for semi automatic weapons.
"There you go givin a fuck when it's not your turn to give a fuck"

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: March 30, 2023, 11:48:20 PM »

Good guy with a gun, right

Same as it ever was.

"There you go givin a fuck when it's not your turn to give a fuck"

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: March 31, 2023, 02:37:32 AM »

What are American journalists and American citizens still doing in Russia?
Now look what's happened...American journalist arrested for 'spying', facing 20 years in prison.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: March 31, 2023, 09:43:03 AM »

But it's an individual right.  You just told us America prioritizes individual rights.  Why would anything be banned?  And why, if guns have a blanket protection in the 2nd A, as you keep insisting, can't I own a machine gun or an M16?

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: March 31, 2023, 02:23:03 PM »

Now look what's happened...American journalist arrested for 'spying', facing 20 years in prison.

You would have to understand things like courage and integrity, but as a right winger it is clear you do not.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: March 31, 2023, 03:30:05 PM »

If we bring lawsuits against the schools for not keeping the children safe, then I bet the schools would build nice fences and gates and I bet they would hire armed security guards to protect the children. Cameras too.

And when I was a kid in Oregon the bullies used to beat me up on the playground because I was born in California, the people in Oregon do not like Californians, and I always felt like the schools should have kept me safe on the playground, I think the adults were wrong to allow me to be abused on the playgrounds by bullies. The adults need to monitor the children on the playground and the adults need to protect the children from the bullies. I should have filed a lawsuit against the schools for allowing me to get beat up on the playground. That shit needs to stop, the schools need to protect the children.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: March 31, 2023, 03:38:18 PM »

Yes Bambu, both Stormy and Trump are scumbags. Neither one of them have any class. He was wrong for paying her hush money, and she was wrong to accept it. Both are bad people.

It is sad, good men like Lincoln get assassinated while dirt-bags like Trump drive our nation into the dirt while no one does anything.

Trump needs to sit in a nice quiet prison. What a scumbag he is, Trump is bad for America. He should have retired to the Bahamas when he had the chance.

And now we see what a kind and good and honorable person George W. Bush is. ( And Oliver Stone made a good movie about George W. Bush named "W". )

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: March 31, 2023, 04:22:22 PM »

You would have to understand things like courage and integrity, but as a right winger it is clear you do not.

Wisdom trumps courage and integrity.
What were Americans even doing in Russia in the first place?
Oh, visiting family.
Fair enough, blood is very thick, family is family.
You'd hope Americans are not going on vacation to Russia as tourists, to see the sights etc.

20 years, in the prime of his life, will be a long time for the journalist to contemplate 'courage and integrity' as he rots in a horrible Russian prison.

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 595