Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 559

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 117483 times)

jmmengel

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #7485 on: February 08, 2024, 01:12:51 PM »

I finally figured out how to disable some of the security on Firefox and log in here with that browser.  They don't make it easy.  Basically, the browser has to ignore all the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol, which is the de facto means for establishing security on the Web.  COULD SOMEONE CONTACT LIQUIDSILVER AND HAVE HIM DO THE BARE MINIMUM OF UPDATING HIS FUCKING THREE YEARS EXPIRED SSL CERTIFICATE?  AND FIX THE GODDAMMNED APOSTROPHE/QUOTE MARKS?

SCROTUS:   

Listened to the oral arguments for a while.  The Supremes are not making it easy for Murray.  Very tough room.  They seem to be steering past the establishing that Trump disqualified himself by fomenting insurrection and letting section 3 execute, and drilling down on technical procedural questions.  Not a good sign for the Colorado action, right?
Exactly.  States have no Constitutional power in this matter, they cannot set or revise qualifications for federal office.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #7486 on: February 08, 2024, 01:24:04 PM »

NSW driver with OCT7TH car registration plates has been ordered to hand in the 'offensive' plates or car
will be de-registered.
Plates approved, the OCT7TH could be driver's birthday.
After complaints, deemed 'offensive', not allowed.

Same thing happened to driver with plate NAZ111.
Innocent 'mistake' though...first 3 letters of Driver's name...and 111 (first of Nov here, day first then month)....birthday.

You can have 'special plates', for an annual fee.
Colored plates as well.

After 9/11 , some Porsche 911 drivers with special plates were complained about, but allowed to keep the plates.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 01:30:48 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7487 on: February 08, 2024, 02:21:05 PM »

Go slam your head in a door, Bambu.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #7488 on: February 08, 2024, 02:36:03 PM »

Some towers are sitting empty in Los Angeles, and graffiti artists have been painting on them, the Chinese who were building the towers ran out of money. Some of the Locals here in Los Angeles need to team up with the Chinese to complete the towers as housing for our homeless Senior Citizens and for housing for Homeless Veterans, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/03/us/la-graffiti-building.html

Team work makes the dream work. These empty towers can be a great place for our homeless Seniors, and for our homeless Vets.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: February 08, 2024, 02:57:19 PM »

I finally figured out how to disable some of the security on Firefox and log in here with that browser.  They don't make it easy.  Basically, the browser has to ignore all the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol, which is the de facto means for establishing security on the Web.  COULD SOMEONE CONTACT LIQUIDSILVER AND HAVE HIM DO THE BARE MINIMUM OF UPDATING HIS FUCKING THREE YEARS EXPIRED SSL CERTIFICATE?  AND FIX THE GODDAMMNED APOSTROPHE/QUOTE MARKS?

SCROTUS:   

Listened to the oral arguments for a while.  The Supremes are not making it easy for Murray.  Very tough room.  They seem to be steering past the establishing that Trump disqualified himself by fomenting insurrection and letting section 3 execute, and drilling down on technical procedural questions.  Not a good sign for the Colorado action, right?
Exactly.  States have no Constitutional power in this matter, they cannot set or revise qualifications for federal office.
Except, of course, the Amendment sets the qualifications for federal office, so an adjudication under the language of the provision would not "set or revise" the qualifications, provided that adjudication properly followed the law. And nothing in the 14th Amendment specifies who makes the relevant disqualification decision. It has been made, in the past, both by states and by the House of Representatives refusing to fill the seat. It is a convenient argument if the Court is looking for an off ramp, especially with the risk of differing opinions.

But if not the State election officials, who? The provision has been used once or twice to justify the Hojse not seating Representatives, but they would not have power over the executive branch.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7490 on: February 08, 2024, 03:46:38 PM »

Ladies in waiting made my skin crawl.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: February 08, 2024, 03:47:46 PM »

But if not the State election officials, who? The provision has been used once or twice to justify the House not seating Representatives, but they would not have power over the executive branch.

Would Congress have power after the election of a President, to boot a POTUS who was not qualified -- via the impeachment process?  What I mean is, is there any provision for fast tracking a process to boot a president-elect, or would they then be stuck with the standard impeachment procedures after January? 

There seems to be need of a Goldilocks zone, where it is easier to kick out criminal riffraff from the Oval, but not so easy that it is constantly weaponized.
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #7492 on: February 08, 2024, 03:47:54 PM »

Go slam your head in a door, Bambu.

I just took your advice, thinking you had my best interests at heart.
Now my head hurts and I have a giant headache.
I'll have to take some pain killers and lie down.
Go woke, go broke.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #7493 on: February 08, 2024, 03:59:37 PM »

Some towers are sitting empty in Los Angeles, and graffiti artists have been painting on them, the Chinese who were building the towers ran out of money. Some of the Locals here in Los Angeles need to team up with the Chinese to complete the towers as housing for our homeless Senior Citizens and for housing for Homeless Veterans, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/03/us/la-graffiti-building.html

Team work makes the dream work. These empty towers can be a great place for our homeless Seniors, and for our homeless Vets.

Salute,

Tony V.

The nick name for the Daughter of the President of China is "Muzi." Muzi studied Psychology here in the USA at Harvard, and so did Natalie Portman whom also studied Psychology at Harvard. Maybe they can team up to work together to help people on the issue of Mental Health, and Mental Health Associations and Wellness Centers, etc.

And maybe Muzi can help to finish these towers in Los Angeles and use the towers to help the homeless Veterans, many of whom suffer from Mental Illness, and to help the homeless Senior Citizens, etc.

Habitat for Humanity could help to finish the Chinese towers, and Homeboy Industries could help, and maybe Rick Caruso could help, and maybe Carlos Slim could help, etc. And maybe Mayor Karen Bass could help, etc, and maybe these towers can create housing for our homeless Veterans and for our homeless Senior Citizens. Team work makes the dream work.

Salute,

Tony V.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #7494 on: February 08, 2024, 04:01:07 PM »

Re: Appointments of officers of the United States.

The Colorao Supreme Court, citing Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, ruled Trump off its ballot for President.
Colorado does not have that power.
Section 3 governs appointments of officers to the Federal Government and prohibits insurrectionists from those appointments.
The President and Vice President are not appointed officers under Section 3. They are elected under qualifications set by the Constitution. States can rule on the elibility of the  voters in the State but cannot override the Federal qualifications of the candidates.
The Founders thus made sure the executives could never appoint insurrectionists.
It is called Federalism.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7495 on: February 08, 2024, 05:09:58 PM »

The Colorao Supreme Court, citing Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, ruled Trump off its ballot for President.
Section 3 governs appointments of officers to the Federal Government and prohibits insurrectionists from those appointments.
The President and Vice President are not appointed officers under Section 3. They are elected under qualifications set by the Constitution. States can rule on the elibility of the  voters in the State but cannot override the Federal qualifications of the candidates.
The Founders thus made sure the executives could never appoint insurrectionists.
It is called Federalism.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: February 08, 2024, 06:12:11 PM »

Would Congress have power after the election of a President, to boot a POTUS who was not qualified -- via the impeachment process? 
. There are only two qualifications to run for president.
They have to be native born and 35 or older.

What I mean is, is there any provision for fast tracking a process to boot a president-elect, or would they then be stuck with the standard impeachment procedures after January? 

There seems to be need of a Goldilocks zone, where it is easier to kick out criminal riffraff from the Oval, but not so easy that it is constantly weaponized.
There are three constitutional requirements:
Natural born US Citizen
35 years old
14 years living in the USA

Impeachment is for a sitting president who commits high crimes, misdemeanors.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 09:27:26 PM by jmmengel »

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #7497 on: February 08, 2024, 06:54:52 PM »

It is called Federalism.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Even Scalia disagreed with Redward on "officers." 

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #7498 on: February 08, 2024, 07:05:15 PM »

Chomsky reference appreciated btw.  I met him when I was twelve.  My proudest name drop, even if I had no idea who he was (beyond Mark's professor dad's friend who was sitting with Mark's dad in his kitchen and looked at we boys tramping through and asked us if we got caught in the heavy downpour that had just ended).  Later Mark explained who he was, in a way that said to me, he's not famous really except to people like my dad.  Haha.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #7499 on: February 08, 2024, 07:07:23 PM »

There are three constitutional requirements:
Natural born US Citizen
35 years old
14 years living in the USA

And not being an insurrectionist. 
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 559