Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 558

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 117350 times)

Oiled

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #8010 on: March 28, 2024, 10:46:18 AM »

A challenging scrutiny of the current state of journalism. 

https://www.persuasion.community/p/how-pseudo-intellectualism-ruined

I miss journalists like Mike Royko.  There's still some out there, but sometimes you need to get out in the weeds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Royko
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: March 28, 2024, 10:50:43 AM »

Republicans blame Democrats for the bridge collapse because, what else? Racism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/03/27/politics-baltimore-bridge-collapse-republican-conspiracy/

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: March 28, 2024, 12:38:28 PM »

While it was a tad before my time, Royko used to frequent my Chicago haunt, the Old Town Ale House, where he famously brought in some friends of his for a tasting test between foreign and domestic beers.  The US didn't do very well.

"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: March 28, 2024, 01:36:03 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/03/27/politics-baltimore-bridge-collapse-republican-conspiracy/
Behind a paywall. But this is not:

Baltimore Mayor Taunts Right-Wing Trolls With Brutally Honest New
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: March 28, 2024, 03:05:54 PM »

Should be accessible

https://wapo.st/3TTsLjZ

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: March 28, 2024, 03:19:46 PM »

There are a lot of good people in Hollywood who I am sure want to help the homeless people in Hollywood, and I think more stars will come forward and help the homeless as it becomes more fashionable. The stars can have fancy dinner parties to help the homeless, etc, like Ricardo Montalban used to do.

There was a rich lady who lived in Empire West who used to go to all of the parties to benefit the homeless, etc. She was a nice lady who did a lot to help the community. She had a yellow Rolls Royce, and sadly one day when she went to the market someone dumped a milk shake on the hood of her car, people were just jealous because she had a Rolls Royce, but she was the kind of lady who would give money to the homeless. We need to organize the good rich people like her to help the homeless, and we can bring back the fancy parties to raise money to help the homeless, etc.

A lot of the rich people have big hearts, and I am sure more people will step forward to help the homeless in Hollywood as it becomes more fashionable. And they can bring back the parties like Ricardo Montalban used to do.

Some people think that there is some struggle between the rich and the poor, but really a lot of the rich people started out poor, and they remember what it was like to be poor and they are the first person to step forward to help the poor people. And like Elvis, and Marlon Brando, they both gave money to help the poor, and Elvis did the song "In the Ghetto" to raise awareness to the plight of the poor people in the ghetto. And Johnny Cash helped the poor people. A lot of stars will step forward to help the homeless in Hollywood, I am sure of it.

And one thing that Hollywood needs is cheap hostels where people can take a shower and where they can sleep in a bed for $15 per night, and plus they need at least a couple of free sandwiches per day, etc. Just a cheap bed and shower, and a couple of sandwiches, that would totally help a new young actor on the streets in Hollywood. I think a lot of stars are going to step forward to help the homeless in Hollywood.

Salute,

Tony V.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 11:30:35 PM by FlyingVProd »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: March 28, 2024, 03:29:55 PM »

I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: March 28, 2024, 09:15:12 PM »

Perhaps conservative genius Matt Schlapp can reassure him that every worker involved was an addict.

And also that morning, Matt Schlapp, chairman of the American Conservative Union, discussed his concerns about an unqualified, drug-addled workforce hamstrung by coronavirus lockdowns.

I am one of these people that believes weve never fully come out of all the lockdowns and the covid issues, Schlapp said on Newsmax. Im no expert on whats going on in the seas, but all I would say is that if you talk to employers in America, theyll tell you that filling slots with employees who arent drug-addled is a very huge problem. So Im making no specific charges here, because we dont know.  We have to kind of wake up as a country and deal with the fact that we have too many people who arent ready to do the job.   

He is making no specific charges here!

When an ignoramus prefaces his pearls of wisdom with

Im no expert but

you know it is going to be an especially ripe steaming load of bullshit innuendos.
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: March 28, 2024, 09:42:56 PM »

Baltimore...'the worst run city in America' according to Youtube.
'Tied with 4 others as having the worst violent crime rate in the nation' - Fox Baltimore
Charming.
People are leaving the city, 'it now has its lowest population in 100 years'.
One view is that the city has become 'cars central', the city catering for cars first.
Another is that people are leaving because of all the violent crime.
One lady (who happend to be Black) interviewed said "your home can be robbed twice in the same day".

Is this bridge crash just one more horror to befall Baltimore?

I'm currently walking thru 'The Drug Infested Slums of Baltimore'.
I haven't been walking long, but what I've seen so far is purely horrid.

No one loves Baltimore than one of my contemporary heroes, David Simon, who would undoubtedly refer to you accurately as a basement-dwelling shitsquib responds to those taking advantage of the tragedy to post the most stupid shit possible.

https://deadline.com/2024/03/david-simon-marjorie-taylor-greene-baltimore-bridge-1235868804/

Given what happened in NYC, Ms Greene is quite right to ask the question about the crash possibly being a terror attack...thus ensuring a complete, thorough, in depth, no stone left unturned, everything made public, nothing 'hidden' investigation ... is done.
Wouldn't want anything being covered up, because the ship is registered in Asia, etc...so as not to offend anyone, would we.

If Mr Simon loves Baltimore so much he should want it to be the best it can be.
He should visit the horrid slums and use his profile to enact serious change

The ship sent out a

It did.
No arm in considering all possibilities though.

Why not wait for the investigation?

Google David Simon

Best to hit em [the investigators] with the 'terrorism' angle before they start looking into everything.
Nothing can be assumed.
"Assumption is the mother of all f-ups" - Under Siege 2

I googled Mr Simon...he seems to be an angry senior citizen...called Ms Greene 'submoronic'.
Not very nice, where were his manners. Respect!
He doesn't know whether or not the crash was intentional...ahem 9/11, initially they thought the first jet had problems and was just of course when it crashed into the tower....turned out to be terrorism.

Mr Simon should've said; "Anything is possible, but I'm of the belief that it was just an accident. The investigation will establish the cause.

"You complete submoronic pratfall of a human being.' What a rude man.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene is a sub moronic twit. She is threatening the House Speaker for working with the Democrats to,pass funding to keep the government running. She is a human hand grenade. A terrible legislator.

If you had done more than a cursory search on David Simon you would have seen very few people know more about or love Baltimore.

Pull the covers over your head and suck your thumb.

A casual observer could be forgiven for thinking that Baltimore is a not so nice city and nowhere they should be living.
Mr Simon might love it, .......maybe he lives in a mansion in Roland Park, with lovely gardens, lovely trees, pretty flowers everywhere, oh life is grand there...75 worlds away from the drug slums........but plenty of people are moving away as fast as they can.
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: March 28, 2024, 10:16:40 PM »

What I learnt from YouTube and the internet today;

The exact location of Maryland...and Washington DC.
Virginia/Maryland...that's where the British were sending their convicts....before the war.
When they could no longer send their convicts to America, they started sending them to Australia instead.
The First Fleet arriving in Botany Bay [then shortly after they sailed up and into Sydney Harbour] in 1788.
On 26th January they raised the Union Jack and claimed Terra Australis for Britain.
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: March 28, 2024, 10:26:15 PM »

That mayor should go fix the drug slums horror in his city.
I'd be so ashamed if my city were like that...I'd do something about it.
"It costs money"...run a lottery, nationally and globally.
Go woke, go broke.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: March 28, 2024, 11:46:08 PM »

That mayor should go fix the drug slums horror in his city.
I'd be so ashamed if my city were like that...I'd do something about it.
"It costs money"...run a lottery, nationally and globally.

Yes, run a lottery, and also groups like Boy's Town, Kiwanis International, and Father Boyle and Homeboy Industries, will all come in and help for free, along with other groups.

And Paul Newman donated a company to sell spaghetti sauce and salad dressing to raise money for charity, it is still raising money for charity long after his death, Paul Newman was a great man.

Famous Amos sold cookies to raise money to teach people how to read.

Dolly Parton donates many books for children, and she does a lot of other good things, including the fact that she donated the money to Vanderbilt University to discover the vaccine for COVID.

Many good people will step forward to help the poor if invited and appreciated.

Salute,

Tony V.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 12:03:21 AM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: March 29, 2024, 12:08:16 AM »

In New England they are training people for the Lobster Industry, there is a huge growing demand for Lobster, so groups such as Boy's Town, and Homeboy Industries, and others, can send young men to learn to work in the Lobster Industry, so that is something that a poor young man in Baltimore could think about doing, they can go work in the Lobster Industry. ( My dearly departed friend Tom used to feed Ribeye Steaks and Lobster to the homeless people when he was managing a homeless shelter, he fed the homeless guys steak and lobster. )

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: March 29, 2024, 04:52:44 AM »

Concerns in Baltimore, before the bridge collapse was added;

Baltimore's infrastructure problems are legion---an ongoing sewage system crisis, the state's oldest schools, lead paint, a lack of healthy affordable housing, streets collapsing under the weight of age and heavier rainfall, and low-income neighborhoods suffering from air pollution and the heat-island effect.

#####

Of course if people stopped rioting, looting businesses, destroying buildings and burning down *half* the city every time something doesn't suit them, things might get better more quickly.
Why would you build people new housing if it's only going to be destroyed?
Why would businesses stick around only to be looted and destroyed?   plenty of other places in America to set up a business.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 05:04:27 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: March 29, 2024, 09:06:14 AM »

Concerns in Baltimore, before the bridge collapse was added;

Baltimore's infrastructure problems are legion---an ongoing sewage system crisis, the state's oldest schools, lead paint, a lack of healthy affordable housing, streets collapsing under the weight of age and heavier rainfall, and low-income neighborhoods suffering from air pollution and the heat-island effect.

#####

Of course if people stopped rioting, looting businesses, destroying buildings and burning down *half* the city every time something doesn't suit them, things might get better more quickly.
Why would you build people new housing if it's only going to be destroyed?
Why would businesses stick around only to be looted and destroyed?   plenty of other places in America to set up a business.

The previous governor of Maryland made sure Baltimore lacked the resources to pull itself into prosperity. Typical of GOP politicians in particular and racists in general to hamstring black peoples then blame them for for their lack of success.

In a Title VI civil rights complaint filed this week against Maryland, the NAACP Legal Defense Fund (LDF) charges that the decision by the Republican governor, Larry Hogan, to eliminate the plans for an east-west light rail line in Baltimore and transfer the state funds slated for it to road projects in largely white suburban and rural parts of the state discriminates against the citys black residents.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/23/maryland-lawsuit-baltimore-rail-project-racism-larry-hogan

Sorely missing is a long-planned east-west transit route that would connect isolated Black Baltimore neighborhoods to downtown and suburban job centers and to other rail lines. In 2014, the Obama administration offered Maryland a selective New Starts grant of $900 million to finally build what was called the Red Line  a project that would not only have connected thousands of Black Marylanders to better jobs but would also create a comprehensive transit system that might restart the Baltimore regions economy and improve race relations by building literal connections between communities.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/07/18/how-larry-hogan-kept-black-baltimore-segregated-and-poor-367930
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 558