Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 561

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 117859 times)

Walter Sobchak

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #8220 on: April 17, 2024, 09:40:58 AM »

(standard Reddus Dickus Straw Man argument)

You obviously never heard of storage batteries.

He's heard.  And probably heard of large-scale grid distribution, gravitic storage, and geothermal base power.  But his smug and invincible partisan posture is to pretend none of that can happen before we drink every last drop of the petroleum milkshake.
Partisan?
You mean scientific facts.
The grid cannot provide year round reliability without fossil fuels.
Nor can we power our economy without them

So why is it that renewables, batteries and nuclear will add up to 96% of all new power capacity constructed this year, per federal data. (and only two percent of that 96% is nuclear)

https://www.canarymedia.com/articles/clean-energy/chart-nearly-all-new-us-power-plants-built-in-2024-will-be-clean-energy

Clearly the power industry is backing a different horse than your old nag.

Walter Sobchak

• View Profile
« Reply #8221 on: April 17, 2024, 09:47:15 AM »

I also find that most of what you espouse, condone and cheer amounts to death to America blow by idiotic blow. How you feel about what that guy and some others were chanting in Dearborn is how reasonable people take most of what you have to say.

Walter Sobchak

• View Profile
« Reply #8222 on: April 17, 2024, 10:05:37 AM »

Or, alternatively, it is a free board and you comment on what you want to and do not comment on what you do not want to, you tiny-brained wiper of other people's bottoms.

It is astonishing that somehow my sigboth has never seen the grail movie.  But friends and family have quoted lines or described scenes from it often enough that she pretty much knows all of them.  A few years ago she saw me limping and asked what I'd done and I said, ni! ni! ni! referring to my tricky left knee acquired working a construction job in college.  Poor knight, she said. 

And yes, lack of comment on an online forum is not itself a comment.  Many things happen daily in the world.  Construing an absence of comment on them as a tacit opinion is idiot sophistry.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8223 on: April 17, 2024, 10:50:32 AM »

Or, alternatively, it is a free board and you comment on what you want to and do not comment on what you do not want to, you tiny-brained wiper of other people's bottoms.

It is astonishing that somehow my sigboth has never seen the grail movie.  But friends and family have quoted lines or described scenes from it often enough that she pretty much knows all of them.  A few years ago she saw me limping and asked what I'd done and I said, ni! ni! ni! referring to my tricky left knee acquired working a construction job in college.  Poor knight, she said. 

And yes, lack of comment on an online forum is not itself a comment.  Many things happen daily in the world.  Construing an absence of comment on them as a tacit opinion is idiot sophistry.
People like RedDick pick up manufactured outrage from the right wing outrage machine and are 8shocked - shocked! - to find out no one outside their bubble gives a shit.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 12:07:46 PM by Hairy Lime »
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8224 on: April 17, 2024, 11:36:34 AM »

So why is it that renewables, batteries and nuclear will add up to 96% of all new power capacity constructed this year,.
Clearly the power industry is backing a different horse than your old nag.
Because that old nag is needed to keep the HVAC systems working.
It is a shame the federal bureaucracy, the leftist naysayers priced Nuclear
out of the quest for alternatives.
The problem now,  of course, is the that climate alarmists are screaming for REPLACEMENT energy via solar and wind and neither , even combined, can  come close to replacing natural gas and coal.
We are hell bent ( well you are) in solving climate change instead of proceeding cautiously while developing new technology.
We have had doomsday predictions now for 50 years and the Old Nag is not anywhere close to being put out to pasture. 
It is not surprising that Wind Farm Projects and the Roof Top Solar panel industry are pulling back, not to mention the flatlining EV market.
Adding demand( like electric vehicles) is going to make matters worse.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 11:39:08 AM by jmmengel »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #8225 on: April 17, 2024, 12:51:14 PM »

Bambu, they had a family from Australia on the television news, they were tourists visiting Disneyland, the reporter told the Aussies that Disney is going to invest billions of dollars into improving Disneyland and she asked them if they were going to come back after the work is complete, the Aussies said they would love to come back. It is nice that the Aussies like it here.

On the issue of USC and the valedictorian, Spielberg is highly involved with the film department at USC, and other prominent Jews help to run USC, they are not going to allow antisemitic people to give speeches at USC.

Sean Astin is giving the speech at UCLA, he is a great choice, I met him when I worked for Suzanne Pleshette, and Sean Astin is a cool dude.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #8226 on: April 17, 2024, 02:05:36 PM »

Bambu, they had a family from Australia on the television news, they were tourists visiting Disneyland,
We are letting Australians in now? Seal the border!
the reporter told the Aussies that Disney is going to invest billions of dollars into improving Disneyland and she asked them if they were going to come back after the work is complete, the Aussies said they would love to come back. It is nice that the Aussies like it here.

On the issue of USC and the valedictorian, Spielberg is highly involved with the film department at USC, and other prominent Jews help to run USC, they are not going to allow antisemitic people to give speeches at USC.
USC is private so not covered by the 1st Amendment but equating support of the Palestinian people with anti-semitism is deliberately attempting to silence one side of an important issue. I hope Spielberg is better than that.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8227 on: April 17, 2024, 03:48:01 PM »

Bambu, they had a family from Australia on the television news, they were tourists visiting Disneyland,
the reporter told the Aussies that Disney is going to invest billions of dollars into improving Disneyland and she asked them if they were going to come back after the work is complete, the Aussies said they would love to come back. It is nice that the Aussies like it here.

USC is private so not covered by the 1st Amendment but equating support of the Palestinian people with anti-semitism is deliberately attempting to silence one side of an important issue.
The First Amendment covers speaking against the Government.  It does not protect people threatening violence in a Commencement speech regardless of whether the school is public or private.
And Death To America is now to be equated with Pro Palenstinian?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 03:58:42 PM by jmmengel »

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #8228 on: April 17, 2024, 04:17:02 PM »

USC is private so not covered by the 1st Amendment but equating support of the Palestinian people with anti-semitism is deliberately attempting to silence one side of an important issue.
The First Amendment covers speaking against the Government.  It does not protect people threatening violence in a Commencement speech regardless of whether the school is public or private.

First of all you agreed the 1st amdement protection does not pertain to private institutions.
Please provide a quote from Ms. Tassqbaum where she cries Death to America.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #8229 on: April 17, 2024, 04:20:28 PM »

We are hell bent ( well you are) in solving climate change instead of proceeding cautiously while developing new technology.

developing ?

News flash for you - wind and solar are developed. So robustly so that utilities are investing massively in them, as my previous stats made clear.  You can hide from those facts and suck your oily thumb all you want.  The ONLY cause of any windmill project being pulled back is local NIMBY groups and/or obstruction from conservative political groups heavily supported by oil industry money.  Neither of which is going to longterm halt the progress of the clean energy a majority of Americans want. 
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #8230 on: April 17, 2024, 04:25:10 PM »

Who threatened violence in a commencement address, aside from your would-be fascist orange-hued hero? 
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #8231 on: April 17, 2024, 04:32:11 PM »

I descended from the Pioneers, who traveled to find their dreams and to live peaceful lives. So, that is my advice for the Palestinians, they need to refuse to be a pawn in a war that makes money for bad people, and they need to let Kiwanis International take them to the forest of Canada, and to other peaceful places, Abu Dhabi and Dubai are peaceful, etc. The refugees need to travel to find good safe lives, and they can do forestry work in Canada, etc, or they could be a truck driver in Dubai, etc, they can be essential workers.

And they all need to read "Animal Farm" by George Orwell.

My ancestors were pioneers who traveled in order to have good lives, and that is my advice for the refugees is to travel to where they can have a good peaceful life. And make life about love, and have a nice family, and work a nice peaceful job in the Lumber Industry, etc. Leave the war behind, and go have a peaceful life in the forest of Canada. Kiwanis has a village in Victoria, British Columbia, that would be perfect for the refugees.

Salute,

Tony V.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 04:35:38 PM by FlyingVProd »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #8232 on: April 17, 2024, 04:34:39 PM »

The First Amendment covers speaking against the Government.
It covers all speech including commercial speech. But what it does not cover is the actions of private entities like USC.
It does not protect people threatening violence in a Commencement speech regardless of whether the school is public or private.
No, you and your fellow right wing censors are equating pro-palestnian speech with "Death to America." Which Asna Tabassum has never espoused. And which there is no indication she had ever intended to say in her speech.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #8233 on: April 17, 2024, 04:51:00 PM »

developing ?

News flash for you - wind and solar are developed. So robustly so that utilities are investing massively in them, as my previous stats made clear.  You can hide from those facts and suck your oily thumb all you want.  The ONLY cause of any windmill project being pulled back is local NIMBY groups and/or obstruction from conservative political groups heavily supported by oil industry money.  Neither of which is going to longterm halt the progress of the clean energy a majority of Americans want.

Money dont everything its true
But what it dont get, I cant use
I need money (thats what I want!)
Etc.

https://wapo.st/3xCU0Xr

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8234 on: April 17, 2024, 04:57:07 PM »

The First Amendment covers speaking against the Government.
It covers all speech including commercial speech. But what it does not cover is the actions of private entities like USC.
It does not protect people threatening violence in a Commencement speech regardless of whether the school is public or private.
No, you and your fellow right wing censors are equating pro-palestnian speech with "Death to America."
No, Palestinian protestors are unless you do not read the news.

Which Asna Tabassum has never espoused. And which there is no indication she had ever intended to say in her speech.
Never said she did. Her speech was canceled do significant threats in terms of the specificity of the person, the event, meaning our commencement, and their intent to disrupt our commencement. according to the school.
It had nothing to do with Freedom of Speech
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 561