Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 624

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 201222 times)

jmmengel

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #9255 on: June 26, 2024, 04:29:59 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-court-public-corruption-bribery-89774f1e3cd6f1a353718b7ce3ff18a0

Scrotus just made it harder to fight public corruption.  And easier to give bribes. 
Well no. At issue was not a bribe but a gratuity. Had you or the AP actually read the decision you would understand the 6-3 vote. assuming you can read.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24778091-snyder-v-united-states

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #9256 on: June 26, 2024, 04:41:08 PM »

The cost of insuring it might be a problem, maybe I could sell photos of my hands and feet online to get the money.

Why would people pay money to see your hands and feet?

Upon reflection and research I discovered one has to be a young female to be able to attract buyers for such photos.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #9257 on: June 26, 2024, 04:44:10 PM »

Googling  "EV graveyards" makes interesting reading.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9258 on: June 26, 2024, 05:18:54 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-court-public-corruption-bribery-89774f1e3cd6f1a353718b7ce3ff18a0

Scrotus just made it harder to fight public corruption.  And easier to give bribes. 
Well no. At issue was not a bribe but a gratuity. Had you or the AP actually read the decision you would understand the 6-3 vote. assuming you can read.

Bacon once defended himself against accusations of bribery by saying since the money he received from a litigant did not affect his judgment and so was not a bribe. In terms of Bacon facts that slots right behind his mother's maiden name being Cooke and his being at one time the MP for Middlesex. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

The distinction between accepting a 13k "bribe" before you steer $1 million in business to a trucking company and accepting a 13k "gratuity" afterwards is an interesting one. But one thing is certain: as oil notes, two things the decision absolute does are, first, make public corruption more difficult to prosecute, and second, make it easier to bribe someone by fortuitously timing the payment.
"Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality."

The word of the lord.

Thanks be to God.

Oil Filter

• View Profile
« Reply #9259 on: June 26, 2024, 06:02:24 PM »

Well no. At issue was not a bribe but a gratuity. Had you or the AP actually read the decision you would understand the 6-3 vote.

Bribe v gratuity = potayto, potahto.  As Lime notes, it is not difficult to skirt a law so narrowly interpreted that one need only deliver the money-filled suitcase after the favor has been done. 

assuming you can read

Ah, name calling.  Right on cue.
Peoples minds are changed through observation and not through argument.    - Will Rogers

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #9260 on: June 26, 2024, 06:42:54 PM »

The Roberts court is bought and sold.
"There you go givin a fuck when it's not your turn to give a fuck"

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9261 on: June 26, 2024, 06:58:20 PM »

Scrotus just made it harder to fight public corruption.  And easier to give bribes.  Given the attitude towards professional ethics on the current Court, that's not too surprising.

sweet fuck all.

Did you spend some time over in the UK?  I hear a Britishism from you now and then, just wondered.  When I was there people would sometimes code switch that to sweet Fanny Adams when in mixed company (i.e. not with mates).

My cousins wedding was the last time I was over, must be 18 years or so. I wish them luck in their upcoming elections. They will be right buggered if they get it wrong.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #9262 on: June 26, 2024, 11:05:41 PM »

Scrotus just made it harder to fight public corruption.  And easier to give bribes.  Given the attitude towards professional ethics on the current Court, that's not too surprising.

sweet fuck all.

Did you spend some time over in the UK?  I hear a Britishism from you now and then, just wondered.  When I was there people would sometimes code switch that to sweet Fanny Adams when in mixed company (i.e. not with mates).

My cousins wedding was the last time I was over, must be 18 years or so. I wish them luck in their upcoming elections. They will be right buggered if they get it wrong.

Indeed...like electing a Labour (left/far left) govt into power...who are going to give 16 yr olds the vote if elected.
Britain is the mess it is today because the People kept electing leftist govts.
Oh well, the People were, have been, and still are being warned what will happen to them...but they refuse to listen.
They seem to think chances go on forever...they don't.
If they don't elect a Rightist govt then they're finished.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #9263 on: June 26, 2024, 11:31:36 PM »

It would be best to keep all Youth in COLLEGE until they are 22 years old at least, and let them grow up before they have to raise children and become adults. Right now the children are having children, teenage women are having babies. I do not support teen pregnancies, let the women grow up first. Go to Europe after High school and then go to College, and then worry about being an adult. We also need to support the United Nations and Peace so that our youth do not have to be cannon fodder. Blessed are the Peacemakers.

And Kentucky needs to put everyone in college and in job training, etc, and they are building a new movie and television studio in Kentucky, etc.

We need to teach America how to be rich and successful and smart and altruistic, etc. And for sure everyone needs to know the Golden Rule. I also support Louisiana on their right to put the 10 Commandments posters on the walls of the classrooms.

We need peace and education and civilization. And in America all men are equal.

And I support a Renaissance globally, and we can have entertainment catered to educated people, and designed to educate and better humanity.

Right now God is sending good fortune to Anaheim, so I just need to wait upon the Lord and in good time then great things will happen. And meanwhile, if the Governor of Kentucky is reading my posts on Social Media then that is an accomplishment.

Peace.

And Zelenskyy needs to come to the Russian Tea Room in New York City to ask for help.

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #9264 on: June 26, 2024, 11:45:51 PM »

sweet fuck all.

Indeed...like electing a Labour (left/far left) govt into power...who are going to give 16 yr olds the vote if elected.
Oh well, the People were, have been, and still are being warned what will happen to them...but they refuse to listen.

I heard about all the meth in Australia. Now I know where some of it goes.

Seek help, mate.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #9265 on: June 26, 2024, 11:46:16 PM »

Well no. At issue was not a bribe but a gratuity. Had you or the AP actually read the decision you would understand the 6-3 vote.

Bribe v gratuity = potayto, potahto.  As Lime notes, it is not difficult to skirt a law so narrowly interpreted that one need only deliver the money-filled suitcase after the favor has been done. 

assuming you can read

Ah, name calling.  Right on cue.
Either read the decision or shut up.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #9266 on: June 27, 2024, 12:08:22 AM »

Italy is giving away free land again, this time in Tuscany, I would love to have a home in Tuscany, where they make Chianti, with my own vineyard and olive groves and lemon trees, etc, I could hire workers from Catanduanes, Philippines, to work on my vineyard and winery, and I can have a fully stocked library for the workers, etc, and a movie theatre, etc.

It would also be nice to have a night club in Rome, on Via Cavour, or Via Urbana, in that area, with great food and live bands, etc.

Rome also has Cinecitta where they have the Italian Cinema. Cinecitta is a playground for filmmakers. When I was there last then Martin Scorsese had just been there making "The Gangs of New York" at Cinecitta. I would make "The Count of Monte Cristo" as a Mini-series for Netflix, maybe 8 hours or so, we will see. It would also be nice to produce some Shakespeare, but I could do that here or anywhere.

And I love the Italian Women.

Meanwhile California is nice, and we have Malibu, and Universal Studios for filmmakers, etc, and USC film school, and Chapman film school, etc. And in Anaheim we have Disney, etc, we are so blessed. And San Luis Obispo was just voted to be a top tourist destination, and there is The Madonna Inn, etc, Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers used to play at swimming pool parties at the Hearst Castle for William Randolph Hearst. And Marina Del Rey is nice like Cannes. California is blessed.

Salute,

Tony V.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 12:11:40 AM by FlyingVProd »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #9267 on: June 27, 2024, 12:33:50 AM »

sweet fuck all.

I heard about all the meth in Australia. Now I know where some of it goes.

Seek help, mate.

LOL

The only meth there'd ever be in the house of team bambu would be methylated spirits...and there's none of that.

Yes, meth use is rife in Australia, as is cocaine use and use of pills of any kind of dubious origins.
Dumb is becoming prevalent.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 04:11:27 AM by bambu. »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #9268 on: June 27, 2024, 12:50:29 AM »

Yes. You mentioned you use Sky news as a news source.

No better example is needed.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #9269 on: June 27, 2024, 01:14:50 AM »

Earlier this year, NASA and Lockheed Martin unveiled the X-59 quiet supersonic research aircraft at a rollout ceremony. More on NASA's Quesst mission to demonstrate supersonic flight without generating loud sonic booms in Air & Space Quarterly's latest Up to Speed: 

https://s.si.edu/4byU7Cv

----------

My hometown builds the best stuff for aero-space and defense. NASA out at Edwards has made a lot of accomplishments, and Lockheed, and Northrop, and way back Rockwell built the Space Shuttles but Rockwell is gone now. But, Lockheed can build the new supersonic passenger planes of the future in the Antelope Valley.

Ad yes, meth is stupid, in my hometown they built a prison in the middle of my hometown and then they flooded the town with meth and they put the meth addicts into the prison. Stupid. My Uncle Dennis spent 20 years in prison just because he was a foolish drug addict, what a waste, never owned a home, never had a wife, never had children, never ran a business, nothing, just poverty and drugs and then death from an over-dose. Drugs are for fools. And people waste their whole lives on drugs and prison. People need to wise up, and they need to bulldoze the prison in Quartz Hill, it is time to destroy the prison and build schools instead. Educate the people, and teach them to be leaders, and teach them to say "No" to the drugs. And every young musician should watch "Lady Sings the Blues."

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 624