Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 681

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 250501 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #10155 on: September 30, 2024, 07:28:34 PM »

The Biden debt relief was a pure ploy to get reelection votes.
Guess we will not have to worry about that.
Well then I am sure he dropped debt relief immediately after dropping from the race.
He did not have a choice since he was ousted, his own party knew he was a sure loser.
But he at the time he no longer stepped aside he surely dropped the debt relief since it was a "pure ploy to get reelection votes" that he no longer needed.
A parrot bit me.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: September 30, 2024, 07:36:32 PM »

Well then I am sure he dropped debt relief immediately after dropping from the race.
He did not have a choice since he was ousted, his own party knew he was a sure loser.
But he at the time he no longer stepped aside he surely dropped the debt relief since it was a "pure ploy to get reelection votes" that he no longer needed.
He never stepped aside
Dems dumped hm and the debt relief issue.

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: September 30, 2024, 07:40:51 PM »

Amazing that dockworkers are going on strike during a time when most Americans are reeling from inflation. Pure terrorist blckmail doing it during the election.
To quote the motto of the International Garment Pressers Union, "Strike While the Iron is Hot!"

Which made me turn to Wikipedia to determine that Calvin Trillin is thankfully still alive.

One of my uncles briefly knew Trillin, when both were growing up in Kansas City.  Both kind of similar looking and similar sense of humor, which in my most woo-woo moments makes me think on how places shape people.  It would be fun to seek Trillin out and see if he remembers my uncle, plus another notch on my Odd Penchant for Encounters with Famous People log.  The very formal nod from Gorbachev as he departed a restroom remains my favorite, though the giggle from Debra Winger when I muffed my first take as Student on Bicycle in Terms of Endearment was a close second.  Lower ranked incidents were my wife introducing a guy named David, backstage at a concert she was playing in Eugene Oregon, and not realizing it was David Ogden Stiers until his fat clammy hand closed over mine and I said, "holy shit" and he chuckled.  A deep throaty emphysema chuckle.

Also lower ranking was Alan Ginsberg, mostly from me being nine and having minimal idea who he was until my mother said "show him your poem."  I did, he read it, and then laughed so hard his face turned red and tears formed.  He really was a kind gentle person. 

And then there was Bob Kerry, governor of Nebraska, who was amused to learn I had been his neighbor (a kind of slummy apartment across from the Governor Mansion) and said something about wishing he had kept his blinds drawn.  Ya had to be there.

I guess if there's a pattern to be discerned, it's that I was blessed to meet famous people who didn't take things too seriously.  I expect Jbottle, if still around, would sacrifice body parts to earn a giggle from Ms Winger.
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: September 30, 2024, 09:22:38 PM »

Can anyone understand Santa Joe? Destroyed the economy with 8 million immigrants. Wants to give way student loan debts. Ignores vets and the poor who are literally sleeping in the streets.

Please before you destroy things for your VP stop this ridiculous strike. The economy matters.
https://cis.org/Desautels/Justice-Department-Still-Funding-Sanctuaries
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 09:37:04 PM by luee »
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: September 30, 2024, 09:43:36 PM »

To a tweaker that might make a lot of sense.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #10160 on: September 30, 2024, 10:31:30 PM »

He never stepped aside
Of course since he is no longer running but is still President and the debt relief was "a pure ploy to get ... votes" he as President is no longer pursing debt relief.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: September 30, 2024, 10:35:12 PM »

Amazing that dockworkers are going on strike during a time when most Americans are reeling from inflation. Pure terrorist blckmail doing it during the election.
To quote the motto of the International Garment Pressers Union, "Strike While the Iron is Hot!"

Which made me turn to Wikipedia to determine that Calvin Trillin is thankfully still alive.

One of my uncles briefly knew Trillin, when both were growing up in Kansas City.  Both kind of similar looking and similar sense of humor, which in my most woo-woo moments makes me think on how places shape people.  It would be fun to seek Trillin out and see if he remembers my uncle, plus another notch on my Odd Penchant for Encounters with Famous People log.  The very formal nod from Gorbachev as he departed a restroom remains my favorite, though the giggle from Debra Winger when I muffed my first take as Student on Bicycle in Terms of Endearment was a close second.  Lower ranked incidents were my wife introducing a guy named David, backstage at a concert she was playing in Eugene Oregon, and not realizing it was David Ogden Stiers until his fat clammy hand closed over mine and I said, "holy shit" and he chuckled.  A deep throaty emphysema chuckle.

Also lower ranking was Alan Ginsberg, mostly from me being nine and having minimal idea who he was until my mother said "show him your poem."  I did, he read it, and then laughed so hard his face turned red and tears formed.  He really was a kind gentle person. 

And then there was Bob Kerry, governor of Nebraska, who was amused to learn I had been his neighbor (a kind of slummy apartment across from the Governor Mansion) and said something about wishing he had kept his blinds drawn.  Ya had to be there.

I guess if there's a pattern to be discerned, it's that I was blessed to meet famous people who didn't take things too seriously.  I expect Jbottle, if still around, would sacrifice body parts to earn a giggle from Ms Winger.
I have considered myself a close personal friend of Magic Johnson after having him wave at me whe. I complemented him on a good play when he was playing 3rd in a IM softball game in 1979.
A parrot bit me.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: September 30, 2024, 10:42:09 PM »

He never stepped aside
Of course since he is no longer running but is still President and the debt relief was "a pure ploy to get ... votes" he as President is no longer pursing debt relief.
Why would he.? The origin died with his candidacy.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: September 30, 2024, 10:48:02 PM »

He never stepped aside
So his administration has dropped the appeal?
A parrot bit me.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #10164 on: September 30, 2024, 11:19:52 PM »

He never stepped aside
Why would it? If it wins he can say,( falsely)see? I was right!
It will be another phony notch on his political career but no one will care.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10165 on: October 01, 2024, 02:11:15 AM »

To a tweaker that might make a lot of sense.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10166 on: October 01, 2024, 02:24:49 AM »

He never stepped aside

Harris will most likely pursue debt relief as aggressively as Uncle Joe.
You know why debt relief will resonate with a bunch of people? It is the same lesson the Republicans did not learn with Obamacare and, Medicine. Once people benefit and get used to a program woe to the people who try to block it or take it away.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #10167 on: October 01, 2024, 07:55:59 AM »

He never stepped aside
You have always had a brazenly intellectually dishonest way of dealing with contrary evidence.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2024, 09:03:32 AM by Hairy Lime »
A parrot bit me.

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: October 01, 2024, 09:20:48 AM »

Im on the pavement

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: October 01, 2024, 09:21:47 AM »

I have considered myself a close personal friend of Magic Johnson after having him wave at me whe. I complemented him on a good play when he was playing 3rd in a IM softball game in 1979.

Blows my shit out of the water. 
Im on the pavement

Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 681