login Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 27, 2017, 04:57:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 183156 times)
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1935 on: January 09, 2017, 10:38:51 PM »

Happy Birthday to Jimmy Page! I saw him live in Cocoa Beach, Florida, at a small blues club on the beach, he sat in with the house band, the "Groove Monsters," all night, it was awesome. They did like a 45 minute version of "Goin' Down," it was great. And the club was right on the ocean, it was awesome.

Salute,

Tony V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=PgA76eq2RTU

Here is the Groove Monsters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcbco_gQ7zk

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1936 on: January 12, 2017, 03:56:26 PM »

The rain always makes me blue. I love the sunshine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3yt2aH42JE

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1937 on: January 31, 2017, 06:48:46 PM »

California Dreamin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aK6JnyFmk

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1938 on: February 05, 2017, 06:35:52 PM »

Here is a cool old video for anyone who has not seen it yet, this is a video of my friend Jon and his band NASTY HABITS at Club Trip in Venice Beach, this was on a Saturday night, and they dedicated this song to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAj82yZMJ-4

They rocked that club that night, it was great. (Jon played guitar for Suicidal Tendencies, and for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and for other bands, his current bands are NASTY HABITS and SLAMNATION.)

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1939 on: February 16, 2017, 06:13:56 AM »

Show business, that's the way it goes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvFxTpnxk8s

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1940 on: February 24, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »

I saw Alice Cooper live at San Diego State University, Alice opened up for the Scorpions, it was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvXO1WPJOjI

(I sang this song at the Academy, in Vocal Production class, we all had to sing, and we also had to do ballet, and stuff.)

Salute,

Tony V.
"Big Al" Hamilton
Superhero Member

"All the genius I know comes from hard work."--Me

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1941 on: March 18, 2017, 11:03:45 PM »

The best there ever was. RIP, MR. BERRY:

http://youtu.be/kT3kCVFFLNg

"The only distinction between freedom and slavery consists in this: In the former state a man is governed by the laws to which he has given his consent, either in person or by his representative; in the latter, he is governed by the will of another."---Me, again.
bankshot1
Superhero Member

Hoosier Daddy!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1942 on: March 19, 2017, 11:18:46 AM »

Chuckie B really really good

RIP

"If I were you I'd be pretty pissed, too, but I don't think anyone but you and I know what actually went up there on the board last weekend. I know I stepped over the line, and I did apologize, but I apologize again. It has bothered me all week, frankly, to know that I acted in such a manner"-Utley

Salt Grains Sold Separately

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1943 on: March 20, 2017, 02:05:16 PM »

When I saw the news, yesterday, I wanted to come here.

Talk about a "Nothing more to say" artist. I mostly mourn for those who never heard him.

The true tragedy of his life, however, is that his only #1 single was "My Ding-a-Ling."

That is an embarrassment on us! 

Tightly Wound, Loosely Wrapped.

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1944 on: April 01, 2017, 03:58:56 PM »

Because I made the link for something else.

Give this 2 minutes in your head phones and you world will be changed!

It wants head phones , or speakers (better if you get to feel the vibrating air!) LOUD!

East/West as defined by the schism. Turkish influenced Rock guitar that sounds more authentic American Blues than probably any British Band, save Clapton.

The whole album is astonishing but given it's violent subtext (It's about the end of the world. It don't get more violent than that!) But to hear those middle eastern vibes and pacing under Rock and Roll!

Rainy Saturday? Sitting in the den at night? Brandy? You got speakers. Let this thing roll through your head.

1971! They finished this album in 1971. You listen and tell me you don't hear the echoes of a dozen songs that hadn't happened yet! Go to 32:56 and tell me that's not Frankenstein by The Edgar Winter Group! Go to 39:16 and listen to the sax. It's like the sax parts of three different Rolling Stones songs have been overlain. Hear for yourself.
Tell me 47:06 isn't "Fly Like An Eagle" from Steve Miller Band

Cool    
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 04:04:22 PM by I Am Ex » Logged

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1945 on: April 01, 2017, 04:06:50 PM »

47:39 - 52:54...

1st we're all adults here.
2nd  Hey, man, she's an ARTIST!

bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1946 on: April 02, 2017, 12:02:46 PM »

It does reek of influences all over the place - I heard the Steve Miller glissando for sure.  And the "Frankenstein" UFO landing.  Early on, there was a Jethro Tull "thick as a brick" -ish moment, maybe a couple in there.  Etc.  Interesting to hear what Vangelis was up to when he wasn't setting chariots on fire.  I hadn't heard it before.  It's beautifully put together.  IIRC, films like "The Omen" were in the pipeline around that time, too.  Lots of biblical end-times vibe in the air, blended in with Cold War anxieties. 

"I have played a crooked game and I have lost."

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1947 on: April 02, 2017, 07:40:19 PM »

And the quality of the recording! The mixing is astounding.

This album might not be a masterpiece, but they ought to use it as the example of how tremendous you can be and still not make it.

One of the targets was profoundly moved. Turned out he had been looking for this album (that he only knew by a few lyrics. that he had misheard.) for nearly as long as I have been listening it.

Apparently, I had his copy, hey, it happens. Those were the '70s.

(So what his was Stationed in Germany and got there after I had left. It was a metaphor.)  
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:17:59 AM by I Am Ex » Logged

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1948 on: April 03, 2017, 09:36:19 AM »

Funny. I didn't notice it at the time but I was having the same discussion with a mentor yesterday. 

We were talking about the elements of a successful book.  (This mentor having been "of note" in the publishing world. ) and I added that the qualities were not predictors of success. But their absence nearly assured failure.

I hold a number (a very high number) of perhaps irrational notions. I am not a "rational" person. I am an Aesthetic person.

I operate well enough in the rational environment.  But I am what is sometimes referred to as a right brain individual.  One trait of which being the intrinsic acceptance of the esoteric.

To that purpose,  and because I saw a discussion on Jazz that I immediately related to the discussion of education (in that, studying music is HARD. And yet some children love to learn. Love to show what they know. Love to challenge what they know.

Music is not the panacea.  One must be an Aesthetic to desire to thrive in it (past to desire for the riches and though the process. ) But the result should be enough to instruct us of its efficacy.  It is a methodology that ought to be emulated.

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1949 on: April 03, 2017, 09:47:49 AM »

But that is not why I'm here now.

One of the irrational beliefs I hold is that Rock and Roll is more than a simple evolutionary branch on the tree of esoterica. I believe in Rock and Roll,  that music saves your mortal soul  as Don ... Don.. damn.  Said.

Posting (ala DT) on the phone so links are more than a little PITA.

My advice 4 the day is, "Blast 'Do It' into your head and God help anything that makes the mistake of challenging you today! "

That is the power of Rock And Roll!  That the music can excite your limbic system (that's the one, right?) And produce internal power.

Go get 'em!

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132
  Print  

Jump to: