Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Music  (Read 16778 times)

Oiled

• View Profile
Re: Music
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2023, 08:07:15 PM »

The Merry Widow Waltz is also a contender, though that's Lehar, not Strauss.

Anyway, when you're not in the mood for poisoning pigeons in the park, perhaps a waltz will do.
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2023, 11:10:31 AM »

Daylight come and Harry Belafonte wanna go home at 96.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2023, 11:20:12 AM »

Mr Tally Man completed his count.

And today the ridiculous trial begins against Ed Sheeran, charging that he pilfered from Marvin Gaye classic, Let's Get It On...

https://youtu.be/lp-EO5I60KA

I don't think so.  Beyond similar chord progressions, common to thousands of blues and rock pieces, I don't really see him stealing anything. 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2023, 02:37:34 PM »

"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 04, 2023, 12:23:13 PM »

Thank you Gordon Lightfoot for all the memorable seventies songs and for teaching shitty guitar players like me the real value of the suspended A chord.  And for writing Edmund Fitzgerald which has chords so simple that even I could play them.  And for "Sundown" which somehow is woven into my memories of youth and the romantic FOMO that happens in those uncertain relationships.  Canada should put their flags half staff.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2023, 09:19:33 AM »

Yanks current tagline reminds me that 20 years after VM wrote Astral Weeks, he borrowed the slipstream notion from it in Queen of the Slipstream.  QotS also references Brown-Eyed Girl with something about "slipping and a-sliding..."  I never have any problems with VMs recycling phrases.

In a way, though they are completely different songs (VM gets more spiritual), when I hear Astral Weeks I also think of Bob Segers Turn the Page. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2023, 11:56:44 AM »

Yanks current tagline reminds me that 20 years after VM wrote Astral Weeks, he borrowed the slipstream notion from it in Queen of the Slipstream.  QotS also references Brown-Eyed Girl with something about "slipping and a-sliding..."  I never have any problems with VMs recycling phrases.

In a way, though they are completely different songs (VM gets more spiritual), when I hear Astral Weeks I also think of Bob Segers Turn the Page.
Having grown up in SE Michigan i try very, very hard never to think of Boring Bob. Perfectly fine bar band, inexpilcably famous.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2023, 02:49:52 PM »

So I guess when you got out of there, and were done working and practicing on the night moves, and found yourself running against the wind, you didn't go to Kathmandu. 

I liked Hollywood Nights, Night Moves, a couple others.  His vocals carried those songs a little farther than some might have.

That said, mediocre hits like Old Time R&R were so overplayed in the soundtrack of my youth that they wore out their welcome.  Not sure what you call that...Billy Joel syndrome?

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2023, 09:20:40 PM »

https://youtu.be/EsofwhCA1sw

Bangles parody.  I actually loved The Bangles.  I was so smitten by Susanna Hoffs that I have almost zero recollection of the other band members.  I think they were all bipeds and played musical instruments of some kind but that's about the extent of it. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2023, 08:54:57 PM »

Beer drinkers and hell raisers.

https://youtu.be/KXswale5Kss

I smoked a joint with ZZ Top at Del Sur Gardens in Lancaster, California, back in about 1989. A bunch of old bikers and hippies lived at Del Sur Gardens and ZZ Top used to hang out there.

There is still an RV Park at Del Sur Gardens. They are still having parties there. BBQ and live bands all summer.

Salute,

Tony V.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 13, 2023, 09:25:02 PM »

Rumor spreadin round
In that Texas town
About that shack outside La Grange
And you know what Im talkin about
Just let me know if you wanna go
To that home out on the range

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2023, 09:38:52 PM »

Rep. Andy Kim will challenge Menendez in primary for Senate seat.

I'm sure Kim will rock him gently, rock him slowly.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2023, 03:31:14 PM »

My friend Jon is playing tonight with the band "No Reaction" on the Boardwalk in Venice Beach. If you are in the area I am sure it will be great.

Here is a video of Jon from a song that they dedicated to me one night at a club in Venice Beach...

https://youtu.be/XAj82yZMJ-4?si=LPf7FCRK6OxCPNAJ

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 07, 2023, 10:52:10 PM »

Blue Oyster Cult is going to play at the Santa Fe Springs Swap Meet.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/blue-oyster-cult-mark-farners-american-band-and-american-mile-tickets-715740267407

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15