Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Music  (Read 16310 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Music
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2019, 03:40:00 PM »

Here is a music video that my neighbor, Erik Umland, made, he writes all of his own music, and he sings and plays every instrument, plus he is an expert at recording.

https://youtu.be/lJiYi3SLeDg

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2019, 12:16:37 AM »

For everything there is a season.

https://youtu.be/eiprqeaydik

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2019, 09:13:32 PM »

https://youtu.be/3R8tRKIiAII

Seasonal blast from the past, Too Much Heaven....

oilcan

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2020, 08:04:35 PM »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2020, 06:04:20 AM »

I only saw McCoy Tyner once in NYC, down in the Village circa 1984.  He was pretty flashy, trilling up and down the keyboard.  Technically impressive.  He could do alot.
Unfortunately, he was playing with Ron Carter who had a cast on his leg, kept looking at his watch and clearly wanted to be elsewhere.  That performance didn't last longer than it was obligated to.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2020, 01:25:22 PM »

Pretty amazing when he went solo... here's Autumn Leaves...

https://youtu.be/_eRbNkEUkkk

Can't decide if I prefer Tyner's interpretation of My Favorite Things or Brubeck's - both outstanding in different ways.   

barton

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2020, 08:32:50 PM »

Eight miles out of Memphis and I got no spare...

RIP Kenny Rogers. 

barton

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2020, 10:17:41 AM »

It's not wearing shoes so it must be Paul?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2020, 03:10:48 AM »

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2020, 09:34:39 AM »

Will check it out.  Thanks,  Bo.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2020, 10:24:40 AM »

For the morning segments, they seem to be focusing more on lesser known Mingus particularity his early group and trio work before he was a leader.  A lot with vibes, as Mingus joined Lionel Hampton for a year in 1947-48, and was with the Red Norvo trio (with Tal Farlow on guitar) 1950-51 and they recorded a lot.
From '52-55, Mingus played bass with a lot of the bebop stars of the day, and that would be interesting to me.  The birthday show also jumped to early 70's Mingus for a bit, continuing the lesser-known theme.

So far when I've been listening, very little classic fire-breathing Mingus leading his own band.  More restrained early fare, and you have to remind yourself to listen to the bass.  Mingus was a terrific bass player, and this shows some of his early training.  Mingus was always fond of standards and especially Ellington.  He even called himself Baron Mingus for a time! in his early 20's in the late 1940's trying to make a name for himself.  He didn't lack for confidence.  If you want prime, classic roaring Mingus, probably the afternoon or evening portions.

One thing I noticed is that DJ's seemed to switch somewhat frequently, every 2 or 3 hours apparently.  And they keep saying that this was pre-recorded, which is odd.  It took me a while to figure out why.  Covid-20 (I'm staying up to date, none of that last year stuff for me).  I'm assuming since this project was scheduled well in advance -- hell, since the 1970's -- they had DJ's come in and record their Mingus segments when a studio would be empty and few around.  Usually it's all done radio live. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:41:27 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2020, 09:46:19 PM »

I need to check out some of the new Christian metal bands, in the realm of Stryper, I need to have more balance, I cannot just listen to all devil bands, I need to have some good Christian music going through my head when I ride down the street on my bicycle.

https://youtu.be/vC5PcD9Pq1E

There is Narrow Intercession too, which is cool Christian music that a friend made, Jon Nelson, if you are into Christian music you can check it out.

I need to start listening to Christian music more, and I need to buy some Christian CDs at FYE, I hope they carry Christian music.

Salute,

Tony V.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2020, 06:31:22 AM »

You want good Christian music?   Check out Marion Williams, Albertina Walker, Mahalia Jackson, etc.  100 years of recorded music, so there's plenty of great gospel tunes out there.

Here's a Gospel Mix I made and placed on these here internets a few years back.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/d2c24f5qxnc7t/Gospel_Mix
That's a pretty good sampling of classic gospel music.

But gospel music has had a long and varied lineage.
For instance for some jazz-funk gospel, try Mary Lou Williams Praise The Lord.  A song I slip into many playlists as it's so rowdy and infectious.

For rock-gospel, which you seem to be leaning towards, try Spirit in the Sky- Norman Greenbaum or Jesus is Just Alright - Art Reynolds Singers did the original version.  In the late 60's and early 70's hippies and rockers often took the idea of Jesus seriously and there were interesting songs written.  And of course Dylan famously ventured into Christianity for a a period and a bunch of albums.

Actually I just did a search of my music files for "Jesus" and came away with 184 songs and 9.4 hours of sanctified stylings.
It's only recently I discovered searching your music files for a specific term.

I like when artists try to update the concept of Jesus and Christianity to keep it relevant to the changes and new times.  I'm listening to a gospel song called Jesus Done Blew My Mind, and it's pretty much straight gospel, but from the title you can guess the time frame it was recorded.

Btw, The Jesus & Mary Chain have a song entitled Bo Diddley is Jesus. Sort of a stripped down garage-band punk-techno hybrid sonic blast which doesn't do much for me.  But for anyone who concurs, I can tell you where to send donations ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2020, 01:14:05 PM »

Heh!

Geo Harrison - my sweet lord

Depeche - personal jesus

Doobie bros - jesus just alright (hadn't heard the original art reynolds)

ZZ top - Jesus just left chicago

Tom Waits - Jesus gonna be here

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2020, 02:00:24 PM »

I love Edwin Starr's rendition of My Sweet Lord.
A real favorite of mine.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14