Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Television  (Read 21945 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Television
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2021, 09:53:24 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/20/media/jeopardy-mike-richards-steps-down/index.html

He was the shortest serving official Jeopardy host ever.

Who was Mike Richards?

TV host killed off before starting the job.

Wokies strike again.

Sexist prig re-announces his alliances to draw commentary.

Gets it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2021, 10:52:07 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2021, 11:28:47 PM »

Mayim.

All our content is thru Roku these days,  on which I  find no access to Jeopardy,  so haven't seen the prospects.   Somewhere in the basement,  in a box of defunct cords and electronic misc might be an antenna. 

I think Sony should invest in max Bialik stock.
My wife is of Bialystock stock.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2021, 11:31:44 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/20/media/jeopardy-mike-richards-steps-down/index.html

He was the shortest serving official Jeopardy host ever.

Who was Mike Richards?

TV host killed off before starting the job. facing the consequences for past sexist and bigoted comments.
fify, Forrest.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2021, 09:34:39 AM »

...he confirmed he's now removed the episodes in which his attempts to be "funny and provocative were not acceptable."

In one 2014 episode of The Randumb Show, he calls his former assistant and co-host Beth Triffon a "booth ho" and "booth slut" because of a modeling job she had at CES.

Across multiple episodes he appears to make several comments about the appearance of women. In another conversation with Triffon, Richards says a picture of her friends in one-piece swimsuits makes them "look really frumpy and overweight."

Commenting on Triffon's height, he repeatedly uses the word "midget" to describe her, as well as actress Kristin Chenoweth.

In another episode, when a nonspecific comment is made about big noses, Richards says "Ixnay on the ose-nay. She's not an ew-Jay."

Richards also commented on the living conditions of his assistant Triffon, comparing her apartment to Haiti. During an episode where she is talking about problems in her apartment, Richards said: "Does Beth live, like, in Haiti? Doesn't it sound like that? Like, the urine smell, the woman in the muumuu, the stray cats."
(...)
Bloomberg's Justin Sink claims Richards "joked about the physical appearance of women, Jews, and Asians across series of podcasts he hosted" and brings up pregnancy discrimination lawsuits he faced at The Price is Right. Sink also points out that he wiped the entire podcast series from the internet when asked about it....

https://www.newsweek.com/what-did-jeopardy-host-mike-richards-say-terribly-embarrassing-podcast-1620913

If it had been just one of those remarks,  especially in the context of a show where old friends are bantering with each other,  I could see giving him some slack.  But the overall seems to cross the line,  especially with pregnancy discrimination and hurriedly deleting the evidence.   Also,  it's very difficult for midgets, people calling them "short arse" and like that,  many of them commit suicide...

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2021, 10:14:10 AM »

just say no to Lavar? I found him white noise boring. Richards picking himself, so shameful.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Holly Martins

« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2021, 08:49:03 AM »

My memories of Ed Asner on TV are sprinkled with weirdness.   First time I saw him was when I was around ten,  on The Outer Limits,  where he's a cop investigating a weird being that escaped from a physics lab.   He was also on The X-Files, paired with Lily Tomlin playing a ghostly duo.   

He was so ubiquitous that I sometimes think I recall him in something he wasn't in,  like the Sidney Lumet version of 12 Angry Men.  I had to go look it up to convince myself that he was not in that movie,  because it sure seemed like he was.   

Holly Martins

« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2021, 01:43:31 PM »

Glad to hear Bob Odenkirk has recovered from his small heart attack this summer (while on the set of "Saul").  At 58, he always seems slim and healthy,  so was surprised to hear of his collapse.  Now if they can just $@/*(!  release season five to Netflix - it's been nearly two years since it played on AMC.  Guess the covid hiatus has slowed down the season six release on AMC,  which in turns makes a longer wait for S5 on streaming.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2021, 04:59:03 PM »

Fuck the Emmys
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Holly Martins

« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2021, 07:50:10 PM »

Never watch em.   Always struck me as the TV biz wanking itself off.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2021, 09:27:34 AM »

HBO re-running Sopranos from Season 1 ahead of the new prequel

"Too bad they don't have a telethon for fuckfaceitis, eh?  They find a cure yet"?

- Tony, to Junior's soldier

Heh - Season 1 ep 2.

(Of course on demand always has the entirety available)
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2021, 02:39:02 PM »

What would make this person happy?

Maybe she doesn't get that Hollywood is about making money.

Representation, itself, feels like a distraction not just from the racist underpinnings of the industry but from the ways Hollywood very much exists within an imperial project that seeks to propagate false notions of reality. When reboots and the Black Recast wed, it can mask a practical issue central to the remake-industrial complex
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2021, 04:20:23 PM »

Actually, though you have provided no context, I expect she is not only aware of it she thinks it is the root of the problem.
Representation, itself, feels like a distraction not just from the racist underpinnings of the industry but from the ways Hollywood very much exists within an imperial project that seeks to propagate false notions of reality. When reboots and the Black Recast wed, it can mask a practical issue central to the remake-industrial complex
A more just society as reflected in our entertainment product? How does one know when you provide no context or link?

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2021, 04:48:53 PM »

Actually, though you have provided no context, I expect she is not only aware of it she thinks it is the root of the problem.
A more just society as reflected in our entertainment product? How does one know when you provide no context or link?

Google it...link didn't work.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Holly Martins

« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2021, 08:16:53 PM »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-wonder-years-and-the-emptiness-of-the-black-hollywood-recast

As for making money,  all products in a capitalist society seek a market.   But we don't assign value to commodities solely on the basis that they made profit.   If so,  the Ford F150 would be seen as the crowning glory of western civilization.  The writer is suggesting black auteurs have a shot at bringing something original and authentic to the larger market.   
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17