Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Television  (Read 21973 times)

NotYourAverageSockPuppet

• View Profile
Re: Television
« Reply #210 on: August 19, 2022, 06:12:47 PM »

Caught up on Resident Alien, which is back for the second half of S2.  A lot of the supporting cast is so good, but Sara Tomko (Asta) is a real gem, so I'm glad she's getting some extra attention.  Strangely -- or maybe not so strangely, I don't know --  I like most of the supporting cast more than the star. 

Also starting S3 of Never Have I Ever at my earliest opportunity because I'm 12. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #211 on: August 20, 2022, 07:21:32 PM »

I don't stream whichever has RA, but I bought the DVD (very cheap) for the first season a while back and really enjoyed it.  May have commented here, or maybe at the Extra Orb website.  The way they play Outsider perspectives, both human and nonhuman, off each other is well done. 

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2022, 03:52:46 PM »

Just realized the actor playing Isuldur in the TLotR: TRoP, Maxim Baldry, played the kid who gets separated from his father in Les Vacances de Monsieur Haricot.

Far less embarrassing to admit I really liked that movie when I name it in French.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #213 on: September 13, 2022, 08:53:17 PM »

Somehow missed Der Urlaub von Herr Bohne.  Also a less embarrassing rendition of the movie, though it sounds massively less fun than in either French or English.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2022, 12:15:38 AM »

I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2022, 11:14:46 AM »

Going back to the firehose of absurdity that is House of Cards to see the final sixth season was final confirmation that I suffer from some form of OCD.  And learning disability.  Either the show pads its episodes with pointless filler about characters and issues no one connected with, or it rushes through plot swerves that required more setup and time to digest.  Either way, anyone remotely likable will be murdered, and you're left with a fourth wall breaking psychopathic bitch who one can only assume is carrying the Antichrist in her womb.  AFAICT the show had two good seasons, with Kevin Spacey delivering an amusing anti-Bartlett in a dark and cynical inversion of The West Wing, then just fell apart like a.... there's a simile I'm looking for here, can't quite pull it up....

Holly Martins

« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2022, 11:19:37 AM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MCJcxb_RtII

Har!  I showed my wife a clip where Monsieur Haricot tries to raise money by performing opera in the street and she said we might possibly negotiate some arrangement where she will watch with me if I consent to another season of Bridgerton. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 12, 2022, 02:28:25 PM »

Rest in peace Angela Lansbury. I never met her, but I worked at Universal when she was making "Murder She Wrote," and everyone at Universal loved Angela Lansbury, she was highly respected at Universal.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 12, 2022, 04:00:52 PM »

Working at Universal Studios was a cool job, I just wish I could have earned enough money to live on, they were paying me minimum wage, I was working for a giant Japanese corporation at that time that owned Universal, Lew Wasserman was the Boss, but a Japanese corporation owned Universal then. The Japanese corporation was rich and they could have paid me enough money to rent an apartment and to buy food and to live on, and I had a college degree and years of work experience working with the public, and working with people in the Entertainment Industry, etc. If I was working for the Vatican to help orphans then I would work for free, but I am not going to work for free for a giant wealthy Japanese corporation.

I was skin and bones when I worked for Universal, they paid me minimum wage, and there was no reason for that, Universal was owned by a wealthy Japanese corporation. I should have earned enough money for food and shelter. I did not feel like I was respected at Universal, they show respect when they pay you well and when they treat you good, and they just paid me the bare minimum.

Universal is owned by Americans now I guess, I have not been keeping track of who owns the studios anymore. I guess the headquarters for Universal is in New York City.

After I quit Universal I kept training, and I attended the AADA after I quit Universal. I received my AA degree in 1992-1994, then I worked at Universal in 1995, and then I attended the AADA in 1996-1997. Then I did a student film at USC in 1998, my student film is on You Tube, it is cool that I am able to share it. Of course, I did lots of other stuff too, I was a limousine driver when I lived in Malibu, and I worked for Suzanne Pleshette at Empire West, etc.

If Universal would have paid me fair, and if they would have treated me well then I would have stayed there, and I would have loved to have been able to act and make movies and television shows at Universal, but it was a Japanese corporation that wanted cheap labor, they did not want to pay the workers enough money for food and shelter. I do not know how they expected me to survive on minimum wage, and I was a serious adult trying to earn a living, I was not working just for the fun of it.

But, Angela Lansbury was treated like a queen at Universal, the Japanese paid her very well and she was treated very well.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #219 on: October 18, 2022, 04:30:21 PM »

Picard, first season.  Worthy addition to the Trek timeline.  Michael Chabons screenplays are a cut above the usual fare. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2022, 01:57:08 PM »

The Young and the Restless

2 hours

The episode today contains sensitive and potentially disturbing content for some audiences. Viewer discretion is advised.

If you are in a crisis, or want to talk to someone, Call 988. Trained counselors are available 24/7.

-----------

There are many issues which can be explored on The Young and the Restless, including homelessness.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2022, 08:31:00 PM »

The day that I auditioned for the AADA I got to hang out on the set of the television show "Beverly Hills, 90210" and it was really cool, and one thing about the show 90210 is that the characters on the show used to volunteer to run the suicide prevention hot line at Beverly Hills High School on the show, and it was cool that the show had cool stuff like that on the show. I would have gladly worked on the show if I could have gotten a job working with them, all of the Aaron Spelling jobs were good jobs.

Salute,

Tony V.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 14, 2022, 12:33:41 PM »

Dead to Me

Linda Cardellini (aka Don Draper's upstairs mistress in "Mad  Men") is terrific in this.  Darkly funny, with plot twists that you can accept with a delighted laugh in spite of their ridiculousness.  Christina Applegate is also notable as a cynical, angry, potty-mouthed widow.  A lesser version of this would be easily dumped in the category of "chick series," but this transcends it.  If there is such a thing as "quality guilty pleasure," this might be it.

Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2022, 12:29:55 PM »

If there be any fans of either "Lost" or The Matrix still hereabouts, you may find "1899" to be fascinating and a subtly different (dark, German, period drama with eerie archetypes) take on the theme of Things Aren't What They Seem.  The sets are spectacular and gritty/grimy, and offer apt metaphors to get at our guilty memories and the unreliable quality of memory in general.  The dominant language on the immigrant coal steamer on which we supposedly find ourselves is English, used between the different European nationalities, so you won't be dependent on subtitles for everything.  The only minus, for me, are the scenes where two different nationals will try to converse each in their own tongue, say a Frenchie and a Dane, and seem to hope that some sort of intuition will get the gist across.  But it doesn't happen too often and is really a minor flaw.

Westworld fans may also get a few bones tossed their way. 

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 02, 2022, 09:17:37 PM »

The German drama/sci-fi series "Dark," once you get a few episodes into it, reveals itself to be dauntingly complex and cerebral, but very rewarding even if you end up poring over charts and diagrams on the web to figure out all the convoluted relationships between characters that time travel can forge.  And, the wonder of it all is that you can just ignore the sci-fi element (wormhole) and enjoy as a compelling drama of estrangements and loss among four families in a small German city. 

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17