Arts and Television > Television

Television

<< < (2/49) > >>

barton:
The Night Of - excellent.  A story well-told (so far - 3 episodes in) that doesn't hurl social messages at you, and yet illuminates.  Barton Fi- er, John Turturro - is aces as a bottom feeder lawyer who stumbles way above his skill level into representing a murder suspect whose case seems open-and-shut and yet isn't.  Ditto Riz Ahmed as a young Pakistani-American in a heap of trouble, and Peyman Moaadi as his father. 

Itz ME!:
Big ups for The Good Place in today's Grey Lady.

On Netflix there is "Norm Macdonald Has (Had?) A Show" E I E I O!

I don't want to spoiler, or build your hopes, butat least watch the first episode, with David Spade.

All I can say is that several times during the series (at least twice per episode on average) I was laughing uproariously!

To some extent, Norm is doing the Sasha Barron Cohen sort of thing that so many have co-opted. Where you interview some unsuspecting schlub, and the hilarity is when they allow you to make a fool out of them. (I'm not a fan of that kind of comedy, but I have laughed)

Norm is spoofing his guests, but he doesn't make them look or feel badly about what they have said or done. He's more self deprecating.

It's funny. and the season was about 7 eps, so it's not a lifelong commitment.

Saw the pilot for Green Acres last night. Just as I remembered it, and only marginally funny. Yet I do have very fond memories of later episodes. I don't think I'll be getting to those anytime soon. I'm happy with my memories, and apparently they are pretty good, given the way I remembered the pilot. (In all honesty, I might have seen the pilot twice, maybe three times. Once as the show began back in whenever it was, once, maybe, during Rerun season back then and again on Nick at Nite back in the '90s.)

I still remember my experience of seeing My 3 Sons from the beginning. That show was surreal for the first year(ish). Then I suppose there were "Notes" from upstairs, and the show got campier and more "Leave It To Beaver" and an all male cast of Donna Reed with a dash of Gilligan's Island. But it started out way more Dobie Gillis meets Ingmar Bergman. 

FlyingVProd:
Roy Clark Is Dead at 85; a Face of Country Music on ‘Hee Haw’

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/obituaries/roy-clark-dead.html

-----------

Rest in Peace Roy Clark. He was great. I saw him live once when I was a child, at the Orange Show in San Bernardino, he performed with Buck Owens and Johnny Cash, it was awesome.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd:
NOCTURNAL

Color blind people can see better at night. The eyes have cones and rods, one detects color, the other detects light, so color blind people can see better at night. 

The military will not accept color blind people. But, I told them that color blind people could see better at night, so maybe color blind people would be good for special teams that operate at night under the cover of darkness. 

So, there could be a television show about a special team of color blind people who operate at night under the cover of darkness, and the show could be named "NOCTURNAL."

Salute,

Tony V.

Hamilton Samuels:
SAG awards nominations dropped.

Nominations for the 25th annual SAG Awards were announced on Wednesday.

Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s “A Star Is Born” led film nominations with four nods, including best actor for Cooper, best actress for Gaga, best ensemble, and best supporting actor for Sam Elliot. “BlacKkKlansman” and “The Favourite” followed close behind, both taking home a trio of nods.

On the small screen, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” and “Ozark” topped TV superlatives with a quartet of nominations apiece, followed by “Barry,” “GLOW,” “The Handmaid’s Tale,” and “The Kominsky Method,” scoring three nominations each.

Awkwafina and Laverne Cox announced nominations live from the Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood, Calif. SAG-AFTRA president Gabrielle Carteris introduced the presenters, who revealed nominations for acting in television and film. Prior to that, SAG Awards committee chair JoBeth Williams and committee member Elizabeth McLaughlin revealed this year’s stunt ensemble nominees.

Full list of nominations found here:https://variety.com/2018/film/news/2019-sag-award-nominations-list-nominees-1203087472/

BTW, if you haven't seen "The Kominsky Method" on Netflix, you are missing a helluva good show.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version