Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Television  (Read 21340 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Television
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2020, 11:48:04 AM »

That Ms Lilly has 2.3 million followers is the funny thing.

barton

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2020, 09:03:02 PM »

"Lost" was surprisingly popular.

Mr Bean is classic.   I liked the home remodeling episode with the exploding paint can.   Some of his Blackadder stuff was pretty good,  too.   

The Americans - suspense driven though it was,  I found it very rewatchable. 

oilcan

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2020, 11:28:25 AM »

Season 1 of Westworld is rewatchable.  Also fun to watch series with interesting period details that you can miss the first time through when you're more caught up in the plot.
Mad Men,  for example. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2020, 05:06:06 PM »

I watched a great segment on the evening news the other night about a retirement community for people from the entertainment industry, and they had a television studio for the retired people to work at. They are happy, they said that they are working more now than ever. So many people in the entertainment industry spend so much time unemployed while they search for work, that they are grateful to be able to work as much as they want. It is great.

I think that the Seniors should invite in the young people to be assistants so that they can teach the business to the young people. Our Seniors are our best teachers.

I know for my film, I would love to have old-timers teach young people and that would be a great way to make my movie.

Anyhow, I think it is great that their Senior center has a television studio, and there needs to be more of that kind of stuff for our Seniors.

Salute,

Tony V.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2020, 10:30:36 PM »

Rewatching BILLIONS season 4, as Season 5 starts this weekend

Also came across AMC's Halt and Catch Fire - currently on Netflix.  Couple of female leads I hadn't seen before, once from Jersey (though b in NZ) and the other Vancouver, BC.  Aleksa Paladino from Boardwalk Empire also pops in.  Centers around the start of the PC age...

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2020, 08:02:56 PM »

One of the best television producers of all time was Aaron Spelling, he was great. His shows always had beautiful women, and good writers. And Aaron Spelling made sure that everyone who worked on his shows were paid well, everyone loved to work for Aaron Spelling.

I watched them shoot a couple of Spelling shows, "Beverly Hills 90210" and "Melrose Place" and everyone who worked on his shows were having a great time.

On the day that I auditioned for the AADA I stopped on my way home to watch them shoot "Beverly Hills 90210" and I ended up hanging out with them all day, I discussed shots with the director, it was great, they fed me, and it was great to meet all of the stars from the show.

Aaron Spelling was fantastic, it is sad that he is gone. But, a lot can be learned from him.

If you want to produce a hit television show and shoot it here in Anaheim, you need to hire the most beautiful women, and hire great writers.

Also for movies, hire the most beautiful women, and hire great writers.

Spelling lived the dream, and he set a great example for young people who want to grow up to be television producers.

Salute,

Tony V.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Anyone watching Space Force on Netflix?
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2020, 09:13:28 PM »

I just finished the season.  Wondering if others liked it.  I enjoyed it.  John Malkovich was great.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone watching Space Force on Netflix?
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2020, 04:02:12 PM »

I just finished the season.  Wondering if others liked it.  I enjoyed it.  John Malkovich was great.

I watched the first episode. While there were parts I liked, I found it on the whole painful. A brilliant cast, but such an uneven script!

Does it get smoother/better?

I liked The Orville better, but it had a lot of the same unevenness and awkwardness.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone watching Space Force on Netflix?
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2020, 04:20:08 PM »

I watched the first episode. While there were parts I liked, I found it on the whole painful. A brilliant cast, but such an uneven script!

Does it get smoother/better?

I liked The Orville better, but it had a lot of the same unevenness and awkwardness.

I totally agree about episode 1.

The second and third episode are better.

The last few episodes the show really finds its stride.

I haven't watched The Orville yet. My dislike of Seth McFarlane has kept me away.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 04:21:52 PM by Kam »

barton

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2020, 09:40:25 AM »

Any Black Mirror fans?   Started watching some episodes (selected from best-of lists) and was pretty gobsmacked.   San Junipero was great.   

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2020, 03:57:17 PM »

Any Black Mirror fans?   Started watching some episodes (selected from best-of lists) and was pretty gobsmacked.   San Junipero was great.

Yeah that's a favorite of mine.

My top 5 list would probably include

Hang the DJ
USS Callister (A delight for any obsessed Star Trek fan)
Bandersnatch (An interactive "Choose Your Own Adventure" movie)
Hated in the Nation
White Christmas 

Also liked:
Be Right Back
Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too
Men against Fire
Playtest
Nodesive
Shut up and Dance

Most Black Mirror episodes don't have happy endings like San Junipero so it's hard to make a case to binge watch a bunch of episodes at once.

barton

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2020, 06:21:24 PM »

Thanks, Kam.   White Christmas is next for me,  as I just watched The Waldo Moment last night.  I've heard Hang the DJ is good from others,  so it's on the list.  I liked Be Right Back,  too (generally will take interest in an AI theme).   As for Nosedive,  I imagine anyone wanting to understand China's Social Credit System would find it a must-see.

You're right,  a lot of them are pretty dark,  so I wouldn't plan to ever binge out.   

Really appreciate you taking the time to offer some recommendations.   

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2020, 08:42:11 PM »

I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.  Be Right Back was the first Black Mirror episode I ever watched.  I watched Season 1 after Season 2 and i'm glad I did because i might not have kept watching if i had started with Season 1.  I like those episodes the least.   15 million merits was merely ok and the other two episodes were hard to watch.

barton

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2020, 12:06:09 PM »

White Christmas was excellent and also horrific, imagining a fresh kind of hell. 

Nosedive - Howard's performance blew me away.  Opie must be a proud dad.  I liked the story arc towards becoming an authentic human being, angry warts and all.  The scene with the rental car which turned out to only speak Czech and needed an adapter nobody had really cracked me up. 

barton

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2020, 01:50:04 PM »

Yes,  I'd put Hated in the Nation in a best-of list.  In its dark dystopian take on a technology that is currently being developed in laboratories  (artificial bees to replace real ones dying out from Colony Collapse Disorder), paired with the present trends in online shaming, it is the quintessential Black Mirror episode.   

Black Museum was a less successful episode, with an abundance of over-the-top and preposterous plot elements that sort of carry it along as black comedy until it collapses into horrific cruelty at the end.  I kept expecting William Davis (the villainous Cigarette Smoking Man in the X Files) to pop in and allude to black ops and secret government labs.   I did sort of enjoy the part with the husband who opts to have his comatose wife's consciousness loaded into the part of his brain "he isn't using."  It plays out somewhat predictably, but with some fiercely funny moments.   
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16