Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Television  (Read 21041 times)

liquidsilver

• View Profile
Television
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:01:38 PM »

Discuss your favorite - and not so favorite - television programs.

oilcan

Re: Television
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 07:11:07 PM »

Television will eat your brain.   

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 07:08:35 AM »

Here is an episode on You Tube of The Loretta Young Show, this episode is called "Nobody's Boy," and it is about a club for boys who do not have anyone and so they help each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gugf4Su6mTk

I was thinking about writing a movie about a club for orphans, where they all help each other.

I met one foster youth who came out of the system without getting adopted, and the poor kid was 18 with a pregnant girlfriend, they lived in an old camper, and he was unemployed, and the poor kid did not even know who Abraham Lincoln was. His big break came when one of his friends from the system got a job managing a movie theater, and his friend hired him to work there. It was good that his friend helped him. There needs to be a club of boys helping each other.

Salute,

Tony V.

ffleate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 09:39:24 PM »

Babylon Berlin now available on Netflix.  German production, era Berlin 1929, fraught times, intriguing complex plot,  good characters,  superb sets & cinematography.  Worth a look.  Subtitles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_Berlin

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 12:21:35 AM »

Les Moonves is finally gone also hopefully the talentless Julie Chen.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

barton

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 11:30:34 AM »

The Night Of - excellent.  A story well-told (so far - 3 episodes in) that doesn't hurl social messages at you, and yet illuminates.  Barton Fi- er, John Turturro - is aces as a bottom feeder lawyer who stumbles way above his skill level into representing a murder suspect whose case seems open-and-shut and yet isn't.  Ditto Riz Ahmed as a young Pakistani-American in a heap of trouble, and Peyman Moaadi as his father. 

Itz ME!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 03:35:55 PM »

Big ups for The Good Place in today's Grey Lady.

On Netflix there is "Norm Macdonald Has (Had?) A Show" E I E I O!

I don't want to spoiler, or build your hopes, butat least watch the first episode, with David Spade.

All I can say is that several times during the series (at least twice per episode on average) I was laughing uproariously!

To some extent, Norm is doing the Sasha Barron Cohen sort of thing that so many have co-opted. Where you interview some unsuspecting schlub, and the hilarity is when they allow you to make a fool out of them. (I'm not a fan of that kind of comedy, but I have laughed)

Norm is spoofing his guests, but he doesn't make them look or feel badly about what they have said or done. He's more self deprecating.

It's funny. and the season was about 7 eps, so it's not a lifelong commitment.

Saw the pilot for Green Acres last night. Just as I remembered it, and only marginally funny. Yet I do have very fond memories of later episodes. I don't think I'll be getting to those anytime soon. I'm happy with my memories, and apparently they are pretty good, given the way I remembered the pilot. (In all honesty, I might have seen the pilot twice, maybe three times. Once as the show began back in whenever it was, once, maybe, during Rerun season back then and again on Nick at Nite back in the '90s.)

I still remember my experience of seeing My 3 Sons from the beginning. That show was surreal for the first year(ish). Then I suppose there were "Notes" from upstairs, and the show got campier and more "Leave It To Beaver" and an all male cast of Donna Reed with a dash of Gilligan's Island. But it started out way more Dobie Gillis meets Ingmar Bergman. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 03:15:34 PM »

Roy Clark Is Dead at 85; a Face of Country Music on ‘Hee Haw’

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/obituaries/roy-clark-dead.html

-----------

Rest in Peace Roy Clark. He was great. I saw him live once when I was a child, at the Orange Show in San Bernardino, he performed with Buck Owens and Johnny Cash, it was awesome.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 01:04:04 PM »

NOCTURNAL

Color blind people can see better at night. The eyes have cones and rods, one detects color, the other detects light, so color blind people can see better at night. 

The military will not accept color blind people. But, I told them that color blind people could see better at night, so maybe color blind people would be good for special teams that operate at night under the cover of darkness. 

So, there could be a television show about a special team of color blind people who operate at night under the cover of darkness, and the show could be named "NOCTURNAL."

Salute,

Tony V.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 11:03:25 AM »

SAG awards nominations dropped.

Nominations for the 25th annual SAG Awards were announced on Wednesday.

Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s “A Star Is Born” led film nominations with four nods, including best actor for Cooper, best actress for Gaga, best ensemble, and best supporting actor for Sam Elliot. “BlacKkKlansman” and “The Favourite” followed close behind, both taking home a trio of nods.

On the small screen, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” and “Ozark” topped TV superlatives with a quartet of nominations apiece, followed by “Barry,” “GLOW,” “The Handmaid’s Tale,” and “The Kominsky Method,” scoring three nominations each.

Awkwafina and Laverne Cox announced nominations live from the Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood, Calif. SAG-AFTRA president Gabrielle Carteris introduced the presenters, who revealed nominations for acting in television and film. Prior to that, SAG Awards committee chair JoBeth Williams and committee member Elizabeth McLaughlin revealed this year’s stunt ensemble nominees.

Full list of nominations found here:https://variety.com/2018/film/news/2019-sag-award-nominations-list-nominees-1203087472/

BTW, if you haven't seen "The Kominsky Method" on Netflix, you are missing a helluva good show.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

oilcan

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 12:29:58 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/business/media/cbs-bull-weatherly-dushku-sexual-harassment.html

I'm really split on this.  The comments to be Ms. Dushku, with the exception of the one from a crew member, seemed to consist in ad libs on the shooting script, where Mr. Weatherly was trying out some variations in presenting his roguish character.  But maybe they were also him getting in some kind of noxious flirtation.  She could be oversensitive, or she could be absolutely right.  It's hard to tell if they really wrote her off for confronting Weatherly about it.  Or if she would really have earned 9.5 million dollars if she'd stayed on for more seasons.  If sums of money like that are handed over every time an actress is made "uncomfortable" by what could have been a joke, or actorly excess, then I wonder if interesting ad libs by colorful characters will start to be contractually prohibited.  I do agree that an actress shouldn't be rated on her "sense of humor" if that rating is predicated on her ability to tolerate "threesome" jokes.

I guess what I'm really getting at, lacking all the facts, is what the hell happened to people apologizing and moving on?  Why not just fire the crew member who apparently did turn the ad lib into a crude advance?  And why has a good hard slap upside the head of a man gone out of style? 

barton

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 01:30:30 PM »

Started watching a Canadian biotech thriller (a young woman discovers she is one of a group of clones, all leading quite separate and dissimilar lives) called Orphan Black. Actress Tatiana Maslany does a superb job playing multiple roles, and there are wonderful comedic touches and turns of plot that make this my most-likely-to-binge TV viewing.  (these comments are based on season one only)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »

Started watching a Canadian biotech thriller (a young woman discovers she is one of a group of clones, all leading quite separate and dissimilar lives) called Orphan Black. Actress Tatiana Maslany does a superb job playing multiple roles, and there are wonderful comedic touches and turns of plot that make this my most-likely-to-binge TV viewing.  (these comments are based on season one only)

I enjoyed the series quite a lot. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 12:00:03 PM »

Thanks.  Given the fraught ending of season one, there is little doubt I'll keep going into season two.  I love how, though each clone is a distinct personality, there are little pieces of the other clones in each of them.  Alison, though fussy and a bit OCD as a suburban mom, manages to channel something from the more "street" Sarah when she needs to.  Which makes for one of the funniest scenes of the first season.  Sarah, in turn, finds her way beyond mere punk-rock grifter and towards more responsible motherhood.  One thing I hope for, somewhere down the plotline, is a flashback to the real Beth and her final days before her rendezvous with Toronto's light rail system.  Not necessary, maybe, but it would be interesting. 

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 12:52:00 PM »

There is no better show than this one: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5788792/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:54:38 PM by HamiltonIII »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16