Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 50

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 43545 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Movies
« Reply #345 on: August 18, 2021, 01:41:05 PM »

I'm not one to gravitate to tv series that feature a budding filmmaker vomiting up a kitten in the pilot, but there is something kind of intriguing (and darkly funny) about the new Netflix series, "Brand New Cherry Flavor."  Touches of David Cronenberg, along with the bad dreams of Barton Fink, but somehow its own thing.  Always nice to see Catherine Keener playing a weirdo, too. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 23, 2021, 03:35:12 PM »

It's the first book (the early trilogy) I ordered, around age 12, from the Doubleday-run Science Fiction Book Club.  Many of the concepts and political plot points were over my head then, but I did grasp that shortening a Dark Age from 30,000 years to 1000 years was a good goal.  Revisiting that Asimovian universe is def on the bucket list. 

Wonder if they'll move beyond the early trilogy to his later sequels.  I think there were four more, going into the eighties.  Robots of Dawn was also in that universe, as well as a couple others outside the series.

I hope not, but expect that if the trilogy is successful they may go straight to the additional books instead of doing a thorough job with the robots first.

Who knows, maybe they'll do Smith's Lensmen (the first 6 books, please) or Smith's Norstrilia next!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #347 on: August 23, 2021, 09:25:08 PM »

Lensmen.   That's some serious old-school sci-fi.  Have seen those on bookstore shelves,  never partaken.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 26, 2021, 01:43:10 AM »

Lensmen.   That's some serious old-school sci-fi.  Have seen those on bookstore shelves,  never partaken.

I do love them.

You don't need to even buy them, at this stage. You can read them on your computer, listen to them, or just download the text to your Kindle or Nook or whatever.
https://archive.org/search.php?query=triplanetary&page=1
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 26, 2021, 09:25:17 AM »

Bart - I rewatched Johnny English Reborn on HBO from about the midpoint, just for the pleasure of hearing "Dear God please let me not die at the hands of the Swiss", a line that continues to offer me no end of pleasure when HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT'S DANIEL KALUUYA! I had completely forgotten,  if it had ever registered,  that he played the main sidekick in that movie. He does a pretty credible English accent.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #350 on: August 26, 2021, 09:32:56 AM »

Kaluuya went to some trouble developing his accent,  selecting a womb located in London,  then residing there through his childhood,  in order to really capture the nuances. 

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 07, 2021, 12:24:09 PM »

"Chappie," which starts with some potential to delve into the societal implications of AI, is disappointing.  Implausible as its plot turnings may be, it is interesting to watch and has some heart. 

Will say, regarding  the fate of "Mommy" at the end -- if your brain tracings are loaded onto a flashdrive, and then that flashdrive is loaded into a new robotic body, that's not going to be you.  It's not like you will wake up in the robot body.  You, as a conscious being, died and went elsewhere.  The robot will be a simulation of you. 
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 17, 2021, 01:34:32 PM »

Mahlagha Jaberi needs to get her big break into acting, right now she is an influencer on social media, and she is a model, here are a couple of ideas...

Mahlagha could do "Lysistrata" by Aristophanes in Greece at an old ancient Greek theatre, and it could be filmed, and it could go to Netflix. Having a sexy Persian play the lead in this comedy about peace would be great.

Also, someone could produce "A Man Called Ove" with Woody Harrelson as Ove, and Mahlagha Jaberi can play Ove's Persian neighbor Parvaneh. This could go to the big screen.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 22, 2021, 08:19:35 PM »

If you are into French films, I recommend that you check out "Chloe in the Afternoon" starring Bernard Verley, and be careful as it may have nudity.

https://www.newyorker.com/video/watch/chloe-in-the-afternoon

Hopefully you can find all of the great French films on Netlix. I have Netflix now, and I want to check out the classic French Cinema.

My Grandfather said we were related to Bernard Verley, I will find out when I do my DNA on Ancestry.com.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 26, 2021, 10:34:21 AM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Holly Martins

« Reply #355 on: November 26, 2021, 11:15:47 AM »

House of Gucci turns out to be the sort of high-camp movie that someone like Adam McKay might make, in which case it would be huge fun. Unfortunately, Ridley Scott directs, so I can see how critics, expecting something more serious and penetrating, were put off. The spouse and I enjoyed it for the trash-tacular it is, and OTT performances (with horrendous/hilarious Italian accents) especially from Jared Leto, who seemed to have been converted (by a bald wig and facial prosthetics and a plump suit) into one of the Mario Brothers. Al Pacino sounds more like the Bronx than Florence, and joins Leto and Lady Gaga in feasting voraciously on the sets and scenery, which is gorgeous BTW. Adam Driver, as Maurizio Gucci, the one who was murdered outside his office in the nineties, is the soul of actorly restraint that the rest of the film lacks.

I am going to recommend it for the exuberantly grotesque performance of Jared Leto, and for the unrivaled velocity with which it hurtles through plot issues that would have made a lesser (and wiser) director ask, erm, shouldn't this be more like a twelve hour miniseries??

Ridley turns 84 next week. I suggest throwing a big retirement party. Maybe have a snake burst out of a cake that looks like John Hurt?

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 28, 2021, 05:06:34 PM »

I watched the 2002 version of "The Count of Monte Cristo" starring Jim Caviezel, with my Mother and we loved it. Jim Caviezel is a great actor, and Richard Harris is in it, it is a good movie.

The book is long and there is no way to squeeze it into a two hour movie, so they had to cut a lot of stuff out, and they changed some things, but they did a good job.

If I produce it then I want to do it as a mini-series and stay true to the book. It could be made at Cinecitta in Rome, for Netflix, or for Disney, or whatever works.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #357 on: December 24, 2021, 12:31:07 PM »

The heading of the previous post (hopefully deleted by the time anyone reads this) makes me believe there is potential poetry in a spambot.

Fine evacuate
 uncircumcised compartment,
 sarcomas pancreas,
alienated.

Well who has not eaten six Christmas cookies and had their pancreas be a bit alienated?

Holly Martins

« Reply #358 on: December 24, 2021, 12:32:37 PM »

I remain, yours truly, an "able-bodied abundant mandible."

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 24, 2021, 10:20:04 PM »

Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 50