Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 43535 times)

Oiled

• View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #360 on: December 25, 2021, 12:38:10 PM »

...Because this is what social media does: It puts arguments in front of you over and over again, tempting you to think that you just might be the one special person who can cut through the nonsense and be rewarded for your clarity and insight with attention from your peers. We all know that this is not true, and that we will fail, but that doesnt make us stop. It is almost like popping a pimple - it feels so satisfying in the moment, and comes with such a disgusting, delicious moment of relief...

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2021/12/is-die-hard-christmas-movie/620926/
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 10, 2022, 06:10:42 PM »

We have some great schools here in Southern California which guarantee that the film industry will live on in Hollywood.

We have 2 of the best film schools in the world, we have USC film school, and we have the Dodge film school at Chapman.

And we have the AADA which is training actors in Hollywood, as well as in New York.

We also have a lot of great community colleges, including AVC out in the desert, and Fullerton College here in the OC.

Here is a link for the Cinema and Television section of classes at Fullerton College...

https://cinema.fullcoll.edu/courses/

The studios are just big empty buildings without the great creative people who make the movies and television shows happen, it is all about the people. As long as we keep training and teaching the people how to make movies and television shows then we will have a film and television industry here in Hollywood, it is all about the people.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 10, 2022, 07:34:09 PM »

One thing too, if people want to get good, people need to forget about the money and instead people need to focus on the craft of making movies. People need to have fun and make movies, and the money will come when you start making good movies.

I worked on a student film once when no one else showed up, there was supposed to be a whole big group of people, and no one showed up. Me and the film student shot the film ourselves, and we just made up a film that we could shoot with just the two of us.

And we had a film festival in Anaheim and no one showed up, we did not have any celebrities hardly, and the people did not come. We had to give away free tickets and we still had empty seats. We need to have better film festivals here in Anaheim in the future and we need for the stars to show up, and we need to promote it well in advance so the crowds come. It is ridiculous that Toronto would have a bigger film festival than Anaheim. Anaheim needs to put together a good annual film festival.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #363 on: January 12, 2022, 06:11:10 PM »

Advance Neurosis is one of my favorite Bunuel movies.  The performance by Greek actor Prednisone Urethral was nuanced and very free flowing. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Door Into Summer movie
« Reply #364 on: January 14, 2022, 05:19:00 PM »

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81517003

I have not watched this subtitled Japanese version of The Door Into Summer, yet. I've begun it and am looking forward to the rest of it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #365 on: January 14, 2022, 07:21:05 PM »

Based on the Heinlein?  Cool.  Adding to my list.  Heinlein's anecdote about his cat, which inspired the title, has long been understood in my family of cat lovers.  That first snowfall, you open the door, and the cat gives you that look and plaintive sound, like what did you do with summer??

The last Japanese film I watched was the 2008 award winning "Departures," which I really liked.  And somehow missed, back when it was garnering praise. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 15, 2022, 10:43:56 PM »

Margot Robbie was great as Sharon Tate in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood." Margot might be good to star in my movie "Echo, A Rock and Roll Tragedy" if Ariana Grande is not interested.

Here is the info on Margot Robbie...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3053338/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

She might be perfect for my movie. If I was able to pick the casting director of my choice then I would pick Julie Hutchinson and I would have Julie check out Margot and Ariana as the potential lead in my movie.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

Re: The Door Into Summer movie
« Reply #367 on: February 02, 2022, 11:46:57 AM »

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81517003

I have not watched this subtitled Japanese version of The Door Into Summer, yet. I've begun it and am looking forward to the rest of it.

Did see this a while ago, didn't seem too good.  Or logically consistent.  The acting seemed pretty B movie ish.

Holly Martins

« Reply #368 on: February 02, 2022, 06:34:20 PM »

( In response to spam above which will hopefully be gone )

There's a pharma called penisole?  What is it, a medication for one's penis 'ole?   Blimey! 

Holly Martins

« Reply #369 on: February 03, 2022, 12:33:18 PM »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 08, 2022, 09:45:16 AM »

Oscar loves it some powerful dogs.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #371 on: February 08, 2022, 11:47:03 AM »

No idea what Licorice Pizza or Nightmare Alley are doing on that list.  Still haven't seen Drive My Car, which I hope to remedy soon.  Dog Power was so odd and rife with layered ambiguities...ah fuck it, I just didn't always get the point.  But I think the boy is saving his poor mom. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #372 on: February 08, 2022, 11:49:59 AM »

Here's the list...

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/08/1078904804/oscar-nominations-2022

Don't Look Up was funny, but never as I watched would I be thinking "Oscar material!"

Holly Martins

« Reply #373 on: February 12, 2022, 12:55:26 PM »

We watched a movie last night we had missed when it was released in late 2015, Eye in the Sky, with Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman and a fine ensemble struggling with the ethics and legalities of making a drone strike in Nairobi on a house full of terrorists who are getting ready to do two suicide bombings. Without going into all the complexities (one of the most cerebral political thrillers I've seen), I'll just say it comes down to a choice: strike immediately and kill the bomb-vested ones before they leave (this is the only way to intercept them), while also likely killing a young girl selling bread right outside, or wait until the girl has sold her bread and leaves. If they wait, it is certain the bombers leave and dozens, maybe hundreds, will die in a shopping mall or marketplace. (a surveillance "beetle" is inside the house, so they can see the bombers strapping on vests and wiring up)

This film is a full exploration of what ethicists deal with in their famous thought experiment known as The Trolley Problem. (Worth Googling) - the proposal is to do something morally wrong to do something right, to save many lives. What philosopher Jeremy Bentham developed as an ethical system called utilitarianism. The generals are all pretty much okay with it. The government ministers are more resistant (not all for the best of reasons). The drone pilot, Aaron Paul, seeing the little girl, is horrified and puts up resistance and throws some procedural wrenches into the machinery. If you're not yelling things at the screen in the movie's final act, you just haven't been paying attention.

I especially recommend the film to anyone who has asked "So what's the problem with drone warfare?"

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 15, 2022, 08:54:25 AM »

Nightmare Alley. Excellent take on film noir.

Should win Best Picture.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50