Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 50

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 43506 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #540 on: December 19, 2022, 12:27:15 PM »

Do you mean the musical adaptation called Scrooge with Albert Finney?  They should run that more often.   For nonmusical, I find the Alistair Sim Scrooge hard to beat. 

Oliver! and Scrooge were made a couple years apart...why didn't they keep going and turn all of Dickens oeuvre into musicals? 

Bleak House!  The unforgettable song Your mother, Esther, is your disgrace, and you were hers"   
The real highlight was Krook the rag dealer doing a cover of Springsteen s I m on Fire.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 20, 2022, 08:32:14 PM »

Haha!  Both the applause and the combustion was spontaneous.

The theatrical release of Glass Onion ABBM was apparently both brief and limited.  Too bad, I wanted to see it in theater but it didn't appear here.  So it's a small screen viewing on Friday, looks like. 
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 27, 2022, 11:01:07 AM »

Theyre fuckin kidding me right?

https://allblk.tv/

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 27, 2022, 11:26:28 AM »

Glass Onion is an enjoyable satiric poke at the billionaire ego, as Ed Norton delivers amoral kookiness channeling a Zuckerbergian fool who eventually gets what he deserves.  The end has a small problem of character/legal logic, which is nothing fatal to a fun romp in celebrity shallowness, but which I might mention later when it doesn't spoiler the thread.  Kate Hudson drolly channels her famous mother, which will be noticed only by audience members of a certain age.  Daniel Craig is, once again, a shot of southern comfort with his Foghorn Leghorn/Sherlock Holmes hybrid. (Reportedly, Craig based his accent and delivery on the historian Shelby Foote)

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 27, 2022, 09:37:56 PM »

You would have thought as observant a detective as Benoit Blanc would have recognized Trooper Wagner even in deep cover.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 28, 2022, 01:13:09 PM »

And that is why I like to see movies on the big screen, or a large enough screen to clearly distinguish the features of the slacker stoner who lives on Miles Bron's estate.  I thought he looked familiar, but was clustered with familials around a smallish screen.  Darryl was a nice recurring gag. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 28, 2022, 01:53:14 PM »

And that is why I like to see movies on the big screen, or a large enough screen to clearly distinguish the features of the slacker stoner who lives on Miles Bron's estate.  I thought he looked familiar, but was clustered with familials around a smallish screen.  Darryl was a nice recurring gag.
Well, Segan has been in every Rian Johnson movie, so I was looking for him. Joseph Gordon Levitt has also been in every Johnson film, though in Glass Onion, only his dong makes an appearance.

I did not like it as much as Knives Out but is was fun and I may rewatch. It did have some moments that cracked me up, like Jonelle Monaes solution to the puzzle box although I am a little unsure of who the character was, and yes Kate Hudson chanelling her mother. Loved the Serena Williams cameo, including the little KO call back in the book she was reading. And Blanc playing the on line mystery game with Jessica Fletcher, the screenwriter for The Last of Sheila, a Russian Doll and someone i never realized until I Googled it had cowritten several mystery novels. But the reveal seemed way too long and unfocused, especially compared to Knives Out's hilarious solution speech, and the social criticism more blunt and one sided. Monae was great but not quite Ana de Amas.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 28, 2022, 06:24:54 PM »

Well, Segan has been in every Rian Johnson movie, so I was looking for him. Joseph Gordon Levitt has also been in every Johnson film, though in Glass Onion, only his dong makes an appearance....

Snicker. 

did not like it as much as Knives Out

For sure, a lesser work.  And agree the social criticism lacking finesse.  And felt a little swamped by the many showbiz culture jokes...like the Jared Leto kombucha that's alcoholic or the Jeremy Renner hot sauce...I suspect there's no real in joke there. 

It did have some moments that cracked me up, like Jonelle Monaes solution to the puzzle box although I am a little unsure of who the character was,....

Helen only finds the invite when she is cleaning out Andi's place.  It is Andi who, yes hilariously, engages in the equivalent of solving a Rubik's Cube with pliers. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 31, 2022, 04:23:42 PM »

No, it was Helen. She told Blanc she was cleaning out Andis house when the box came. She was wearing a turban when she solved the puzzle box, which hid her hair.

Better on a rewatch, if only because one characters complete idiocy plays out in that characters facial expressions so clearly.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 01, 2023, 12:04:43 PM »

Yep, I had the timeline skewed. 

Wonder if Hugh Grant will become a regular in the franchise, as BBs boyfriend.  Or continue to cameo anyway.

And will KO 3 in any way reference a world that is Mona Lisa less.  They are all planned to be standalone films, from what I've heard, so maybe not. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 03, 2023, 04:12:37 PM »

Somewhat relatedly, I just realized I have a Jude Law or Michael Fassbender issue with Catherine Keener and Kathryn Hahn.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 04, 2023, 12:45:37 PM »

They seem somewhat interchangeable.   Keener could have easily played Hahn's role in Captain Fantastic.

FWiW, I once confused Hahn and Idina Menzel, thinking Hahn had been in the cast of "Rent". 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 10, 2023, 11:24:27 AM »

Made a sort of mystery double header. Matched my 3rd Glass Onion viewing with my first complete watch of the third version of Death on the Nile I have seen. Rian Johnson is much better at this sort of thing then Branagh.  I did not mind some of the changes to the characters, and some were a definite improvement, but my whole biggest problem with the Branagh Poirot movies can be summed up by this: he reunited Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders and gave them absolutely nothing funny to do. His Poirot is dull and not as fun as a Christie should be. He needs to lean into the absurdity of it all, and he just does not. Also, as someone else has pointed out. Death on the Nile takes over an hour to Death. The story has a lot of necessary set up, but 10 minutes on an origin story for Poirot s mustache is not by any definition necessary.

I saw his next is going to be a version of Halloween Party set in Venice. Since that one has Ariadne Oliver in it, easily the greatest of Poirot assistants (and Agatha Christie doing a mocking self portrait) the botching of the potentially absolutely fabulous French and Saunders pairing makes me despair for that character. Even if she is played (according to rumor) by Tina Fey. Making her American is, well, very odd as is setting a closed circle mystery in Venice, but making her unfunny would be inexcusable. She does not have to be Zoe Wanamaker funny, just not dull.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 10, 2023, 01:56:22 PM »

"set in Venice"

My Christie-loving wife's head nearly exploded.  Who then treated me to a well informed rant on the travesties Branagh is making, the failure to capture Christie's characters in proper context of time and location, the monstrous mismatch of Halloween Party and Venice, etc. 

The rotting but loved paperback she just plopped in my lap is, I see, dedicated to the well known Venetian author PG Wodehouse.

I won't share the full exposition I just received on the reasons that Poirot is Belgian but suffice it to say that "He's Belgian" is all the moustache origin story any sane person needs.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 10, 2023, 02:25:15 PM »

Ariadne Oliver always regretted making Sven Hjerson Finnish.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 50