Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 4766 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2019, 04:36:44 PM »

JOSH,

The Third Eye film forum might be closing, and archiving itself (with the Wayback Machine or whatever), and some there wondered if Elba could accommodate them (it's about six active members left).  That would involve adding a couple more film threads (but wouldn't need to transport any posts, just start fresh ones).

Sorry! I missed this.

By all means and let me know what you need added, okay?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2019, 07:12:34 PM »

Thanks.   I passed along your welcoming words to Third Eye.   They seem to be still unsure what they're doing.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2019, 01:04:49 PM »

USC film school is rated as the best film school by the Hollywood Reporter...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/top-25-american-film-schools-ranked-1231343/item/2019-top-25-film-schools-usc-1231345

NYU came in second.

And Chapman should be third, but instead they put Chapman as seventh.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2019, 03:50:49 PM »

RIP Peter Fonda.   His passage sadly noted here in the Black Hills.  He often showed up at the bike rally in Sturgis.  In many films I didn't see, but also in films I did see and liked, like Ulee's Gold, The Limey, and of course ER. 
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes. "

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2019, 03:07:53 PM »

I noticed that Disney has made a new film, "Maleficent, Mistress of Evil," and there is a new film "Joker," and I wonder why they are all focusing on the villains instead of focusing on the good heroes like the old days.

Films are supposed to bring out the best in us, and they are supposed to give the kids good role models to look up to, like Roy Rogers, and the Lone Ranger, etc.

I need to start making movies, so that I can make movies my way.

Although, my film "Echo, A Rock and Roll Tragedy" will not be a good film for children, and will be rated "R."

I want to make a bunch of love stories. And really, "Echo" is a love story.

And I may make a movie about Lech Walesa, who is a hero.

We will see what I can do...

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• Used to be whiskeypriest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2019, 03:13:24 PM »

The late, great Andrzej Wajda beat you to it.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2113820/
You and I aren't heroes. This world doesn't make any heroes, outside of your stories

barton

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2019, 11:20:25 PM »

Lolita

Though I read the novel eons ago, I realized neither of us had seen the movie.   Despite some mixed feelings about the sanitizing process Kubrick was forced into by production codes, the quality of the performances make it worth seeing, with memorable swerves between creepy and comedic.   Shelley Winters is amazing as usual  -- predatory, pretentious, volatile, and whiny.   Though looking a bit run down at the end.

Given that Sue Lyon was 15 by the time production ended, and easily passed for 17 (movie Lolita is in high school, not the 11 year old of the novel), the pedophile aspect is considerably watered down.   

Some reservations about Sellers in this - his "Quilty" often has the feel of an actor amusing cast and crew with over-the-top riffs on other movie roles where he does funny accents, rather than something that really belongs in the film.   That Humbert can't recognize Quilty when he impersonates Dr. Strangelove a German psychologist is a bit improbable, and pulled me out of the movie a little.   The scene where Quilty poses as a state policeman is just annoying and ridiculous.   

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes. "
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]