Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 48

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 42377 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2020, 02:29:02 PM »

James Lipton died, that is sad, he was great. I attended an interview that he did with Clint Eastwood, I went with my Uncle Dennis, we went down from Lancaster to Los Angeles in my motorhome, and James interviewed Clint for about 7 hours at the Geffen Playhouse. Our seats were right behind Clint's wife and family who were there. It was awesome. Then, after watching James interview Clint, we took the motorhome to the beach and we spent the night at the beach, it was great. So that is my memory from the time that I saw James Lipton do an interview, it is a good memory. May he rest in peace.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2020, 12:12:45 PM »

The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

oilcan

« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2020, 01:03:55 PM »

Maybe he should have exorcised more?

barton

« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2020, 08:54:39 PM »

Midsommar

What a waste of talent to put Florence Pugh in this inept pastiche of Nordic legends, folk tales, Bergman, and The Wicker Man (the 1973 one). It is relentlessly grindingly soul-numbingly weird, as it seems to plumb dark depths of the Swedish psyche that, really, should be allowed to fester in peace. In this modern-but-ancient-rooted commune in central Sweden, a midsummer Festival happens every year, but this year's is one they only do every 90 years when they go all out on ritual suicides, human sacrifices, sex with strangers, putting your pubic hair in a pie for that special fellah you're interested in, guzzling hallucinogens, and gutting bears so they can stuff bad boyfriends into the sticky remains before setting them on fire and having a nice group wail (think of that eerie wailing scene in Persona multiplied by several hundred.). That's just a small sample of what goes on, as our American heroine does her level best to not be a party pooper and navigate the awkward social situations which, as you might imagine, arise frequently.

Anyway, I hate this movie, hate that I felt some fascination and even some titillation as I watched, and hope all of you can watch it too so that we can all join together in hating it. I also hate that the land of my ancestors (central Sweden) was played by some fields in Hungary. That's just not right.

barton

« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2020, 06:48:42 PM »

So... "Contagion" worth a re-watch?   

What are your favorite pandemic movies?   

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2020, 07:16:26 PM »

Never watched in the first place.

Not sure about the movie, but Poe's Masque of the Red Death makes for interesting social distancing reading.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

barton

« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2020, 09:04:18 PM »

Heh.  Poe folks should pay heed.

I watched "Contagion" because Marion Cotillard.   Spoiler:  it's the bat's fault.   

oilcan

« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2020, 11:43:14 AM »

Right.   Bat drops banana.   Pig eats banana.   Chef slaughters pig then doesn't wash,  and shakes hands with Gwyneth Paltrow.  Who goes back to US home and dies, transmitting all along the way.   Say what you will,  Soderbergh knows how to shoot movies with neck-wrenching scene changes.  I even liked Haywire,  which is a guilty pleasure.   

Anyway,  the moral is Wash your goddamned hands.

barton

« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2020, 12:21:30 PM »

The many deaths of Sean Bean (a propos of a digression in the Trump thread)....

(if that gif doesn't load,  it's in this article)

https://mymodernmet.com/sean-bean-dies-in-every-movie/

As the article reports,  he LIVES in "World on Fire. " 

barton

« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2020, 06:17:38 PM »

Planet of the Humans

Free,  on YouTube.  Nuanced contrarian look at alternatives to fossil fuel,  and at "greenwashing. " 

Michael Moore's new film (though not directed by him).   

barton

« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2020, 12:44:19 PM »

I guess The King of Staten Island has gone to VOD,  and won't be in theaters,  but I'm hoping the distribution co will rethink this in a few months.  Theaters are partly opening here and I've really missed seeing current releases.  TKoSI sounds pretty good to me.   I notice one of the firefighters in the film is played by Steve Buscemi,  who was an actual firefighter prior to his acting career.   

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2020, 02:31:26 PM »

Olivia de Haviland dies at 104. Reportedly her last words were "At least I outlived that bitch by six years."

barton

« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2020, 03:46:00 PM »

A stupid petty grudge.   Fontaine won for "Suspicion" and beat out Olivia, who'd been nominated for "Hold back the Dawn. "    And was, at that time, the big star in the family.   So Joan went and messed up the pecking order.   I've read elsewhere (probably back in 2013, when Fontaine died) that the sisters never got along all that well,  but that it was the Hitchcock film that really broke them up.    Probably further chapped Olivia's ass, later,  that nobody much remembered HBtD while Suspicion is a classic.   

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2020, 05:57:29 PM »

She always has Melanie. Cancel culture notwithstanding.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 27, 2020, 02:56:47 PM »

If you want to watch a good Christian movie, I recommend "The Scarlet and the Black" starring Gregory Peck as a priest at the Vatican in Rome who saves allied soldiers and Jews from the Nazis during World War II. It is a great movie, and it was shot on location in Rome. I highly recommend the film. Maybe you can find it on Netflix or other network.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarlet_and_the_Black

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 48