News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 7376 times)

Hairy Lime

• Used to be whiskeypriest.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2020, 10:24:29 PM »

Words cannot explain how much I adore every single frame of Knives Out. From the almost imperceptible barking of the dogs over the March of the Logos to Don Johnson's black eye, to the coffee mug as a framing device to  Chris Evans's perfect line reading of the single word "Shit".
You and I aren't heroes. This world doesn't make any heroes, outside of your stories

barton

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2020, 11:55:23 AM »

The sigboth and I both loved it.   I could have said we hated it,  but then I would have had to involuntarily vomit up breakfast.  I'm going to watch it again.   Sounds like there's a sequel greenlit, in which Foghorn Leghorn Benoit Blanc will solve another mystery. 

Not sure a sequel can succeed at so many things... a pitch-perfect eccentric whodunit,  a superb sendup  of the classic twisty plotted mystery,  a clever metaphor of the sclerotic and racist subcultures of America,  the brilliant cinematographic rendition of a house as America,  the final take-down and exorcism of all things Trumpian,  and as you note the clever framings... including the most literal sense of framing as Harlan's portrait is altered at the end to a bit of a smirk.   I liked the "something is afoot" double entendre, the plot trajectory of a baseball,  every family member naming a different SA country of origin for Marta, the donut analogy...and others that will come to me on a repeat viewing.   
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes. "

Hairy Lime

• Used to be whiskeypriest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2020, 12:45:15 PM »

All those things. Plus the very first thing Blanc looks at when he meets Marta, which explains why he keeps her close in his investigation: he needs her to determine the arc. And Michael Shannon's alternating whipped and intense performance ("I am not.eating one iota of shit!" "Have another cookie! Maybe Harlan left you a cold glass of milk in his will!"). And the way Meg's betrayal causes Marta to toss in with Ransom. And Chris Evans's sweater. And the titles of Harlan's novels. And Lakieth Stanfeld's response to Noah Segran's fan boy moments. As an aside, I will never, for the rest of his career, not notice whenever Stanfeld's character tells someone to get out. And Walt and Linda both claiming they were outvoted about inviting Marta to the funeral. And the way the movie goes from Whodunnit to Crime Drama in a flip of a coin. And then back.

I think Johnson can fashion a clever and entertaining whodunnit but I doubt he can totally recapture the magic, especially without Ana de Armas. She worked so well with Craig. If only someone would pair the two in a blockbuster movie franchise... I would die for such a movie, if I had the time for that.

Actually, why not include her? Every Holmes needs a Doctor Watson. Or Nurse Watson.

Streaming on Prime, everyone. Watch.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:48:36 PM by Hairy Lime »
You and I aren't heroes. This world doesn't make any heroes, outside of your stories
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]