Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 48

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 42352 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2020, 11:04:54 PM »

A young woman from that era would definitely have had Tapestry.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2020, 11:25:20 PM »

As I recall boz-you had a close relationship with Zooey

Anita probably would have had Tapestry

and maybe the Monkees too

But Anita was pretty cutting edge, so maybe not

I was a Stones guy, but still can't get over 2 Stones albums and no Beatles in Anita's stash.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2020, 05:39:11 AM »

I like the selection Cameron uses.  It's not the optimal set of albums (many better Stones than Get Yer Ya Ya's out), so it seems more authentic, more like the random collection of albums someone would genuinely own. 

And between my brother, my sister and myself about 3 or 4 years later, our house had exactly 1 Beatles album, as my brother own the White Album.  We weren't Beatles fans, and besides you heard their songs on the radio all the time anyway.

As for your Q.
Carol King was huge.
Then again so was the 5th Dimension in 1973.
Elton John was huge, but I guess his breakthrough Goodbye Yellow Brick Road just came out in '73.
Alice Cooper's School's Out (1972) was big (and '73's Billion Dollar Babies -- two of the first albums my older brother ever owned)

I'll think of more when I get back later.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2020, 09:28:59 AM »

Time and multiple TROs have taken their toll.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2020, 10:03:49 AM »

what was the deal she couldn't get within 50 ft of you?

barton

« Reply #200 on: September 15, 2020, 10:07:04 AM »

In a minimalist buddhist phase,  I parted with most of my vinyl and around a thousand volumes,  some of the proceeds helped pay for grad school.   I can still flip through some of the LPs mentally.   Some would more likely have been (as far as the movie cache is concerned) bequeathed by a brother than a sister,  e. g. Deep Purple,  "Machine Head, " or Zep IV.    But,  yes,  I can see The Doors in there (the keyboard intro of RotS lives in my head), the Moondance album of VM,  "Tapestry" absolutely, some Dylan,  "Disraeli Gears," maybe "Cosmo's Factory" for some CCR, and the White Album.   And,  based on sisters I knew in 1973, have to add Maria Muldaur.  Cactus is our friend. 

barton

« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2020, 10:09:52 AM »

what was the deal she couldn't get within 50 ft of you?

He was required to wear clothes under his raincoat.   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2020, 10:18:26 AM »

I like the selection Cameron uses.  It's not the optimal set of albums (many better Stones than Get Yer Ya Ya's out), so it seems more authentic, more like the random collection of albums someone would genuinely own. 

And between my brother, my sister and myself about 3 or 4 years later, our house had exactly 1 Beatles album, as my brother own the White Album.  We weren't Beatles fans, and besides you heard their songs on the radio all the time anyway.

As for your Q.
Carol King was huge.
Then again so was the 5th Dimension in 1973.
Elton John was huge, but I guess his breakthrough Goodbye Yellow Brick Road just came out in '73.
Alice Cooper's School's Out (1972) was big (and '73's Billion Dollar Babies -- two of the first albums my older brother ever owned)

I'll think of more when I get back later.

I think Crowe's construction of Anita's portfolio is fine, but a little curious.

in that regard, I'm not sure what optimal is, they may have been his favorite albums as a 15 YO kid, or his sister's favorites, if he had a sister, who gifted him the records.
I got no idea.

I just thought no Beatles, no Sgt Peppers was interesting, as it was, and maybe stlil is considered one of the greatest, albums of all-time. (#1 on Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Albums).

He decided to give a sticky finger to the Fab Four.

In any case doing a little internet sleuthing I found some interesting factoids.

the album scene is 1969, Ya Yas came out in 1970, and Blue didn't come out until 1971.

as to the Stones, having a 2nd Stones album in Anita's collection, (Get Yer Ya Yas) , which seems to fall slighly outside the story timeline, but may have been a nod to Lester Bangs, who in his Rolling Stone review of the album wrote, (from wiki) "I have no doubt that it's the best rock concert ever put on record."

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 10:20:24 AM by bankshot1 »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2020, 10:34:19 AM »

In a minimalist buddhist phase,  I parted with most of my vinyl and around a thousand volumes,  some of the proceeds helped pay for grad school.   I can still flip through some of the LPs mentally.   Some would more likely have been (as far as the movie cache is concerned) bequeathed by a brother than a sister,  e. g. Deep Purple,  "Machine Head, " or Zep IV.    But,  yes,  I can see The Doors in there (the keyboard intro of RotS lives in my head), the Moondance album of VM,  "Tapestry" absolutely, some Dylan,  "Disraeli Gears," maybe "Cosmo's Factory" for some CCR, and the White Album.   And,  based on sisters I knew in 1973, have to add Maria Muldaur.  Cactus is our friend.

bart-there were so many great albums in that time period its about impossible to have the definitive list of 10 that perfectly capture the era or the memories or whatever. 

I had my last "album-flip" a couple of days ago as I wanted to say good-bye to some dear old friends who were off to a new home. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2020, 01:11:45 PM »

The Beatles became a studio band and the film is about touring and concert-going, so maybe that's why the Beatles were left off.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2020, 01:20:15 PM »

The Beatles became a studio band and the film is about touring and concert-going, so maybe that's why the Beatles were left off.

That's the only reason I came up with, same reason the Berry Gordy "produced" Motown sound doesn't show-up either.

Still its hard to imagine that in '69 when Anita gifts her albums to William, she (Crowe) might not have one Beatle album (Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road) in the stash.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:21:49 PM by bankshot1 »

barton

« Reply #206 on: September 15, 2020, 01:49:11 PM »

Then there were bands that, as I remember them, toured endlessly but I don't recall seeing in anyone's LP portfolio - e.g. Moody Blues.  I know they were very successful and popular, but somehow I only remember them for Nights in White Satin.  You heard them on the radio, that was it. 

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow would be plausibly in the portfolio.
The first CSN and CSNY album, ditto.

As you say, Banks, there's no definitive list of ten.  Especially in a genre exploding in all sorts of directions. 

Dark Side of the Moon would have just been out.

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (a little sorry I didn't keep that one, just for the entertaining album cover and inside "newspaper")   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2020, 02:37:15 PM »

Then there were bands that, as I remember them, toured endlessly but I don't recall seeing in anyone's LP portfolio - e.g. Moody Blues.  I know they were very successful and popular, but somehow I only remember them for Nights in White Satin.  You heard them on the radio, that was it. 

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow would be plausibly in the portfolio.
The first CSN and CSNY album, ditto.

As you say, Banks, there's no definitive list of ten.  Especially in a genre exploding in all sorts of directions. 

Dark Side of the Moon would have just been out.

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (a little sorry I didn't keep that one, just for the entertaining album cover and inside "newspaper")

I had Days of Future Passed and saw the Moody Blues in concert with The Steve Miller Band in '68. IMO Steve Miller, who I was less familiar with, stole the show.

with Anita's affinity for the harmony of Simon & Garfunkle and with Joni Mitchell in the portfolio, CSN would make sense for her sensibilities.

I wonder whether Anita was into the Airplane or the SF acid-rock, I see her more smoking pot and getting off to Buffalo Springfield.

i saw Jethro Tull in concert and they sucked. (had the Aqualung album)

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2020, 02:59:18 PM »

Should have some Sly & the Family Stone.
&
Marvin Gaye What's Going On

But I guess music was still pretty segregated then.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2020, 03:22:40 PM »

Should have some Sly & the Family Stone.
&
Marvin Gaye What's Going On

But I guess music was still pretty segregated then.

From OP

And there was no Motown.

No Aretha, no Smokey, no Marvin

Cameron, what's going on?

I saw Sly etal at Woodstock-they were jaw dropping great

that Saturday night-Sunday AM is arguably the greatest night of rock n roll ever

Sly, Santana (who I did not see) and Cocker gave electrifying career jumping performances 
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 48