Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 48

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 42374 times)

barton

Re: Movies
« Reply #240 on: November 22, 2020, 12:06:52 PM »

Yep.   I could see Angela Lansbury as Ratched,  however.   Not saying she'd have been better than Fletcher,  but it would have been nicely disturbing. 

Wonder how many parody scenes have been done of Chief Bromden yanking out the water taps and tossing it through the window.   I've seen a couple.   

Somehow I knew Fletcher was on Deep Space 9, which means I must have watched a few eps.  Had forgotten them.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 23, 2020, 10:26:29 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

oilcan

« Reply #242 on: November 24, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »

In the words of Fox Mulder:  "I want to believe."

Cue music:  Also Sprach Zarathustra

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 24, 2020, 10:32:46 PM »

In the words of Fox Mulder:  "I want to believe."

Cue music:  Also Sprach Zarathustra

I posted the link on FB mentioning the music.

I'd not remembered that that was just the first almost couple minutes of the whole 31-35 minute Strauss piece, however! It always struck me as a finale.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 26, 2020, 04:20:41 PM »

Adam-Troy Castro
4 hrtsaSrpolnsoarredSs
When Steven Spielberg got the rights to SCHINDLER'S LIST, intending initially only to function as producer, one director who begged him for the gig was one to whom it was intensely personal, Billy Wilder. Wilder, one of the greats, had not been able to get a project going for many years, and he would made an entirely different masterpiece (whether or not you think the Spielberg version lives up to that descriptor). Alas, Wilder walked out without the job. A tragedy. I can't blame Spielberg. Maybe he perceived that Wilder really was too old. But maybe he wasn't. Wilder died with a dozen late-life scripts in the drawer, and those are tragedies too.

What happened is that Spielberg continued to try to make the project work, and at one point gave it to Martin Scorsese, who also would have made a masterpiece. But Spielberg ultimately decided he wanted to do it, and so he contacted Scorsese and said, tell you what, I'll trade with you the project I have in the pipeline, that you would likely make better, anyway: my remake of CAPE FEAR.

So, honestly, this one project has multiple maddening ifs. I love the films that got made, but I want to see Billy Wilder's SCHINDLER, I want to see Scorsese's SCHINDLER, and I want to see Spielberg's CAPE FEAR. I would watch all of those tomorrow

barton

« Reply #245 on: December 05, 2020, 12:07:41 PM »

Anyone seen "Mank"? 

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 22, 2020, 03:23:15 PM »

Pretty dull.   Less than the sum of its well crafted parts IMO. 

Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 27, 2020, 01:59:37 PM »

If you were to produce a new modern version of "Auntie Mame" who would you cast to play Auntie Mame? Goldie Hawn? Who?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051383/

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 27, 2020, 02:42:15 PM »

If you were to produce a new modern version of "Auntie Mame" who would you cast to play Auntie Mame? Goldie Hawn? Who?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051383/

Salute,

Tony V.

My Mother thinks that it would be cool to produce "Auntie Mame" with an all Black cast, with Queen Latifah playing Auntie Mame. The only thing is, Queen Latifah is only 50 years old, she is too young to play Auntie Mame. I think the character is at least 60. I could be wrong, it just seems that the character should be played by an older woman like Goldie Hawn. Goldie Hawn is 75 years old. 

What do you guys think?

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #249 on: December 27, 2020, 08:19:52 PM »

Well,  in the original novel,  Mame was in her late forties,  iirc, which fits the story logic of being an aunt to a young boy.  Rosalind Russell was in her forties when she played Mame in the stage adaptation in the 50's.   Angela Lansbury was also just past 40 when she played Mame in the musical adaptation in the 60's.  So I'd think casting a 75 year old would be a cockamamie idea.   Ha.  Then again,  Meryl Streep could absolutely nail it,  couldn't she?   

I would look for someone fortyish or fiftyish with a Roz Russell look.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 28, 2020, 12:21:26 PM »

Well,  in the original novel,  Mame was in her late forties,  iirc, which fits the story logic of being an aunt to a young boy.  Rosalind Russell was in her forties when she played Mame in the stage adaptation in the 50's.   Angela Lansbury was also just past 40 when she played Mame in the musical adaptation in the 60's.  So I'd think casting a 75 year old would be a cockamamie idea.   Ha.  Then again,  Meryl Streep could absolutely nail it,  couldn't she?   

I would look for someone fortyish or fiftyish with a Roz Russell look.   

And in "real" life, playwright and character Patrick Dennis (pen name of Edward Everett Tanner) was born when his aunt was 30, so 45 when he was 15.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2021, 10:32:34 PM »

The screenwriter for Buckaroo Banzai has a sequel novel coming out soon!

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 13, 2021, 05:10:17 PM »

What's that watermelon doing there?
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

barton

« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2021, 03:18:47 PM »

"gurgle warn anxieties segment"

Words I try to live by!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2021, 01:37:05 AM »

I have been enjoying the short science fiction movies from Dust.

This is the most recent one I watched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR0dp1lQPZcmMu-zzs0HyjRRSjYDBmqYqyFWPTH7221TTYW-utnyNyu3H04&v=RIKaRigsL44&feature=youtu.be
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 48