Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 50

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 42986 times)

barton

Re: Movies
« Reply #270 on: March 15, 2021, 02:14:44 PM »

Indeed.   The mostly ignoring of Da 5 Bloods (one minor nom) seemed like a mistake to me.

We'll try to catch Nomadland and Chicago 7 on streaming.   Though more interested in Judas and the Black Messiah, which viewing would involve signing up for HBO Max.   If it passed through theaters here,  I missed it.   

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 15, 2021, 02:46:54 PM »

CVII reminded me of e erythromycin I have ever seen from Aaron Sorkin - incredibly well written and.acted, but leaving no lasting impression on me.

Where the hell my autocorrect came up with that for "everything" I cannot say. But I like it so much I am leaving it.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

barton

« Reply #272 on: March 15, 2021, 03:42:25 PM »

I first  had to leap the hurdle of a movie titled "107," then why it reminded you of an antibiotic.  Happily I was able to decode Chicago 7, and erythromycin resistance soon followed. 

Sorkin's trademark "walk and talk" narrative style works well for some productions (like West Wing), but I've found it hard to keep up with at times.   Sometimes you have the impression you are learning a lot about a character,  but then it's melted away later.  That said,  I found Moneyball pretty good.   Some of his less acclaimed work,  like Charlie Wilson's War, I've liked more than the uber-hyped ones, like The Social Network.   

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 16, 2021, 06:17:34 PM »

Other interesting Oscar question: if both Judas and the Black Messiah are supporting actors, who is the lead?
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 16, 2021, 07:34:56 PM »

God only knows. 

Seriously, if Stanfield (O'Neal) isn't a lead role,  I must not understand the meaning of the term.   Both Kaluuya and Stanfield would seem to be co-stars,  not supportings.
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

barton

« Reply #275 on: March 25, 2021, 08:51:15 PM »

barton

« Reply #276 on: April 02, 2021, 03:10:33 PM »

My spouse informs me she saw Spaceballs (Mel Brooks 1987 classic) for the first time while on a recent trip.   Wish I'd been along.   I liked it when I saw it back in the 80s, it's middle tier Brooks for me,  with Blazing S,  Young F,  and The Producers in the top tier.

May the Schwartz be with you.   

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 25, 2021, 10:28:23 PM »

Really strange AA year. Anybody know or care?
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

barton

« Reply #278 on: April 26, 2021, 10:01:11 AM »

Except for Nomadland,  we missed most of the major contenders,  so not much interest. 
Ma Rainey was on Netflix, but was not impressed and bailed after 45 minutes.  Same goes for Mank.   Movies you might stick it out for,  in a theater,  you can easily bail on when they're on streaming.   I guess the format was Soderberghian experimental and few liked it.   Didn't watch.   Daniel Kaluuya reportedly thanked his parents for having sex in his acceptance speech, then regretted it.   If the movie makes it back here,  we'll see it. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 26, 2021, 11:12:38 AM »

Except for Nomadland,  we missed most of the major contenders,  so not much interest. 
Ma Rainey was on Netflix, but was not impressed and bailed after 45 minutes.  Same goes for Mank.   Movies you might stick it out for,  in a theater,  you can easily bail on when they're on streaming.   I guess the format was Soderberghian experimental and few liked it.   Didn't watch.   Daniel Kaluuya reportedly thanked his parents for having sex in his acceptance speech, then regretted it.   If the movie makes it back here,  we'll see it.
I am guessing the person most pissed of about Hopkins winning for Best Actor was Soderbergh. The order of the awards was clearly set up for an emotional catharsis. Instead we got the equivalent of the aliens' one weakness literally covers 80% of the planet they just invaded.

Neither Mank nor TTotCVII were worthy of a nomination. Haven't seen the others.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 03, 2021, 07:07:05 PM »

Tot 107 sounds like some dark German sci-fi movie from the seventies.

I'll see JatBM when my HBO free trial starts.   The rest were overhyped except for Frances McD Loves her Camper,  which I found to be a luminous and melancholy meditation on what America is about. 
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

barton

« Reply #281 on: May 07, 2021, 03:46:05 PM »

Caitlyn Flanagan has a funny and interesting take on that film...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/05/nomadland-oscars-1960s-consumerism/618822/

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #283 on: May 13, 2021, 10:23:48 AM »

Yeah,  "organization legitimized by Harvey Weinstein"  has become a bug rather than a feature.   

I'm not sure Cruise returning twenty year old awards is a form of protest that will galvanize action, but the NBC shutdown might.   As for sexually harassing Scarlett,  prepare HFPA for me to open a can of whup-tush on them if they pull that shit again.   

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 27, 2021, 04:18:00 PM »

There are a lot of homeless actors, writers, poets, filmmakers, cinematographers, etc, out there on the streets of Southern California mixed in with the homeless people, and so there needs to be apartment complexes for the artists who are homeless.

Such as the Palm View apartments which were set up by the Chase and Royal Bank of Canada and the Actors Fund...

https://actorsfund.org/services-and-programs/palm-view

And the artists can all help each other, they can teach each other, and they can support each other, and they can make movies together, etc. Where one man has a weakness, his neighbor might have a strength. Working together people can achieve much more than any man could alone, and we are social creatures anyway, we love Tribes, etc.

Having apartment complexes for artists makes sense to me, and for instance in this neighborhood, it is an Industrial Neighborhood, people can film movies here, and people can make television shows, and people can make music videos and television commercials, etc. 

We can have a studio like Occidental in East Hollywood here in my neighborhood in Anaheim. (Also, the neighborhood by Occcidental in East Hollywood is a good, affordable neighborhood for poor artists.)

https://occidentalentertainment.com/

Here is a link for my complex in Anaheim, it would be perfect for homeless artists, and people could make movies across the street, etc. This is an Industrial Neighborhood. 

https://villa-platinum-apartments.business.site/

We have people who have a lot of training, and education, and experience, some have won awards, and they are mixed in with the homeless people, there needs to be special apartment complexes for the homeless artists.

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 50