Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 48

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 42428 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #285 on: June 14, 2021, 07:22:59 PM »

RIP Ned Beatty. No one could squeal like a pig quite like him.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Oilcan

• View Profile
Re: Zooey Deschanel Alert
« Reply #286 on: June 15, 2021, 10:06:41 AM »

Also great in Network.   Seemed like he was in every other movie I watched in the seventies and eighties.   

HAIRY,  be advised that your object of affection may be in need of rescue....

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jun/15/the-celebrity-dating-game-zooey-deschanel-michael-bolton
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

Holly Martins

« Reply #287 on: June 20, 2021, 09:51:06 PM »

In the Heights was the FD movie - excellent adaptation for the screen,  amazing cast.   What Bernstein and Sondheim did for the West Side,  Miranda has done for Washington Heights,  and the people that call it home (even when they're not sure it's home).   Indeed,  Miranda is far more successful IMO at telling us a story about a specific place and the whole multigenerational range of people that truly makes a neighborhood.

Holly Martins

« Reply #288 on: June 22, 2021, 10:26:13 AM »

Does  In the Heights misrepresent the Washington Heights area,   which is predominantly Afro-Dominican, in favor of paler Latinx actors who pass the "brown paper bag test"?   And is the music all wrong,  too?   This writer seems to think so....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/06/21/in-the-heights-lin-manuel-miranda-black-colorism-afro-latinos/

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 22, 2021, 10:42:05 AM »

I watched the Japanese movie Mother on Netflix over the weekend. Kenneth Lonergan called it the feel good movie of the summer, so it has that going for it.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Holly Martins

« Reply #290 on: June 22, 2021, 11:48:05 AM »

...feel good movie of the summer... 

***Spit take***

I bailed on this film.   You are a stoic and rugged viewer,  Boz.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 22, 2021, 02:44:18 PM »

It gets bleaker.

I almost didn't make it past the first scene.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 22, 2021, 05:31:34 PM »

Does  In the Heights misrepresent the Washington Heights area,   which is predominantly Afro-Dominican, in favor of paler Latinx actors who pass the "brown paper bag test"?   And is the music all wrong,  too?   This writer seems to think so....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/06/21/in-the-heights-lin-manuel-miranda-black-colorism-afro-latinos/

Yeah, well fuck him. What? Does he bring a Sherwin Williams color chart to watch a fucking movie?

And what's with the stupid "Latinx"?

Geezus, these people are such turds.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Holly Martins

« Reply #293 on: June 23, 2021, 08:54:07 AM »

It gets bleaker.

I almost didn't make it past the first scene.

There are three movies titled "Mother," in the past decade or so,  all difficult to watch.  Bong Joon Ho's 2009 film is sort of the flipped script of the 2020 one,  with a devoted mother who takes drastic steps to protect her mentally challenged son,  when he's accused of murdering a schoolgirl.   Probably the best of the three.   Darren Aronofsky's "Mother!" (2017) was disappointing and self-indulgently weird, like Terry Gilliam at his worst. I was ready to bail long before J-Law has her newborn baby eaten by cannibalistic fans of her writer husband.   YMMV.   

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 23, 2021, 11:21:47 AM »

Yeah, well fuck him. What? Does he bring a Sherwin Williams color chart to watch a fucking movie?

And what's with the stupid "Latinx"?

Geezus, these people are such turds.
Yeah, fuck all those minorities trying to reverse a century of underrepresentation and misportrayals in movies and visual media! Make persons of color MORE WHITE, Ham the Racist demands.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 23, 2021, 11:44:44 AM »

"Latinx" is a gender neutral term to replace Latino or Latina. Because unlike white or Caucasian or black or African American there isn't a gender neutral term already.

Holly Martins

« Reply #296 on: June 23, 2021, 11:59:57 AM »

Yeah, the whole Lena Horne legacy, where all "black" actors are carefully selected for pale de-Africanized facial features has persisted in various forms.  I didn't personally mind that the cast in "Heights" was not Afro-Dominican, because I really had no idea what the ethnic mix in Washington Heights was and I was enjoying it for being so multi-generational and about the whole community and not just a couple romantic leads.  But I'm aware that my perspective rests on a mountain of ignorance, the type of ignorance which manifested in my youth as think of all "Asians" as a single ethnic category and all "Latinx," the same way.  We know there are cultural differences between a Scotsman and an Italian, and that you don't generally don't cast Neapolitan heartthrob Luigi Petrocelli as Highland crofter Angus McTavish.  No reason we can't distinguish Dominicans and Chileans and Cubans, etc.  The question of casting, for me, is of who is available among those groups, and is some talent being overlooked. 

It is permissible however to cast Jude Law as Michael Fassbender.  And I'm sure it happens all the time.  (Lime's review of "The Light Between Oceans" remains one of the funniest I've ever read, on this matter...)

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 23, 2021, 12:27:42 PM »

Might as well be twins.

I tend to think of Fassbender as an angrier Jude Law.  Punch Fassbender and he might defenestrate you, and show no remorse.  Punch Law and he might collapse into a chair, wipe at his face sadly, and shakily light a cigarette.

But otherwise, twins. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 12:30:55 PM by oilcanopy »
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 23, 2021, 12:46:24 PM »

Yeah, the whole Lena Horne legacy, where all "black" actors are carefully selected for pale de-Africanized facial features has persisted in various forms.  I didn't personally mind that the cast in "Heights" was not Afro-Dominican, because I really had no idea what the ethnic mix in Washington Heights was and I was enjoying it for being so multi-generational and about the whole community and not just a couple romantic leads.  But I'm aware that my perspective rests on a mountain of ignorance, the type of ignorance which manifested in my youth as think of all "Asians" as a single ethnic category and all "Latinx," the same way.  We know there are cultural differences between a Scotsman and an Italian, and that you don't generally don't cast Neapolitan heartthrob Luigi Petrocelli as Highland crofter Angus McTavish.  No reason we can't distinguish Dominicans and Chileans and Cubans, etc.  The question of casting, for me, is of who is available among those groups, and is some talent being overlooked. 

It is permissible however to cast Jude Law as Michael Fassbender.  And I'm sure it happens all the time.  (Lime's review of "The Light Between Oceans" remains one of the funniest I've ever read, on this matter...)
Personally, I think attributing "The feel good movie of the summer" to Kenneth Lonergan was pretty funny, but what do I know.

Holly Martins

« Reply #299 on: June 23, 2021, 01:24:11 PM »

Well, I did give the Lonergan attribution a "spit take," so I'm not ranking your jokes.  Not even possible to rank jokes, really, given how dependent they are on mood at that moment and so on.

But your review of The Light Between Oceans (2-3 years ago?) was one I passed along to a female friend who is a Jude Law* fan, and hysterical howls of laughter resulted.

* Michael Fassbender, actually

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 48