Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 48

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 42392 times)

Holly Martins

Holly Martins

Re: Movies
« Reply #331 on: July 19, 2021, 09:01:52 PM »

We're seeing Promising Young Woman tonight,  so I guess I'll be in on the joke or whatever...

I second OC's praise of Minari.   Sip a cup of boy piss and enjoy.

Holly Martins

« Reply #332 on: July 20, 2021, 10:44:32 AM »

PYW was far more than the revenge flick I'd expected.  Though it had some  darkly funny moments  ("what's my name?"), it is really more a tragedy about trauma and crushing remorse (the PYW cannot get past what she sees as her failure to save a friend from rape).   And the lengths people go to in denying the seriousness of sexual abuse and predatory behavior.   Carrie Mulligan's performance is outstanding. She's been outstanding every time she's appeared on a screen, AFAICT. 

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 20, 2021, 01:12:33 PM »

PYW was far more than the revenge flick I'd expected.  Though it had some  darkly funny moments  ("what's my name?"), it is really more a tragedy about trauma and crushing remorse (the PYW cannot get past what she sees as her failure to save a friend from rape).   And the lengths people go to in denying the seriousness of sexual abuse and predatory behavior.   Carrie Mulligan's performance is outstanding. She's been outstanding every time she's appeared on a screen, AFAICT. 

That's why I recommended it. It's an entertaining perspective on trauma, which is very hard to do.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 20, 2021, 03:09:29 PM »

Oliver Stone 

45 minutes · 

It’s been a delight here at the Cannes Film Festival to rediscover big screens, properly projected to packed and cheering auditoriums (black tie, no less), and movies not made under pressure of box office results or algorithms. It’s infectious to be here with its generous 10-15-minute standing ovations for films. With my “JFK: The Director’s Cut” (1991) shown on the beach at night, and three public screenings of my new documentary, “JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass” (2021), I was only able to catch three of the main event films.

1. Sean Penn’s “Flag Day,” which is great, emotionally intense. Spurred on by his daughter Dylan, who’s quietly stunning in her debut, Sean gives us, I believe, his inner soul in one of his very best performances. The moving story of a fraud and criminal whose one loving treasure is his daughter in a career gone south, Penn as a director delivers a unique visual style.

2. Then there’s “Titane”! Get ready for this one. It will blowtorch your mind and scorch your other parts. The director, Julia Ducournau, is a blonde hurricane who made “Raw” as her first film. Not for everyone. My wife and a young female friend disliked it. But the auditorium went wild. The ‘bête noire’ of this rich lineup. An eruption of anger and love, of cars and androids, of gender fluidity that not for one second abides in the conventional, it comes across as a deeply personal catharsis with a lot of self-loathing evident -- but an “experience” on all levels.

3. Jacques (“The Prophet”) Audiard’s new film “Les Olympiades” is in the vein of intimate and humanistic ‘French’ cinema. But that’s not to ignore how completely beautifully evolved a parallel story he’s set in the mixed-race world of Paris’s 13th Arrondissement (from which the title is drawn). Especially notable is the sensual and sexual, ever-changing nature of people in love, which is so rarely seen in American cinema. Superb leading performances from Chinese Lucie Zhang, African Makita Samba, and French Noémie Merlant.

Of course, rumors and fiercely different opinions abound here, which makes it fun. I’ve heard, for instance, great things about Leos Carax’s opening night film, “Annette,” with Adam Driver and Marion Cotillard. Also, Wes Anderson’s “The French Dispatch,” with an all-star cast. Japan’s “Drive My Car,” a love tale from Ryusuke Hamaguchi, was touted by some as the big prize winner; others said it would be Asghar Farhadi’s “A Hero.”The ever-interesting Paul Verhoeven’s “Benedetta” is about a 17th century Italian nun, but Verhoeven of course has a way of enlivening everything with sex and sensuality. There’s also “Val,” an offbeat documentary on Val Kilmer, and Andrea Arnold’s “Cow,” a film about a cow and its fate, which is the object of adoration of the more sophisticated filmgoers who look for the classic oddball or outsider film. But there are so many pioneering films like this here. It’s all really what you can see in a week at the ultimate candy store. In the US, our metrics of judgement are increasingly box office and algorithms, which leaves little mercy for films that need the space to breathe and hang around.

The Palme d’Or turned out to be “Titane,” which surprised me -- film is definitely alive and well in Cannes.

-----------------------------

My response to Oliver Stone...

Very cool.

I love Cannes. I attended in 2000, and a film titled "Dancer in the Dark" won the Palme d' Or that year. It was a great crowd, I love the beach there, and the French make great chicken. And the night clubs in Cannes are amazing, you get to party with everyone from the international film community.

I have a script that I hope to premier at Cannes when I get it made. I wanted to get you to direct it, based on your work on "The Doors" starring Val Kilmer, this was a long time ago, and Hugh Hefner liked my script and he was going to put up the money if you would direct it, but you turned me down, Hef backed out, and I lost the backing. That was 20 years ago. I still have the script, but I do not know what to do with it. I was thinking about getting Ariana Grande to star, and see if she could help to get the backing to make the film, but I do not know. We will see what happens. Life is a journey.

Cannes is awesome, and I am glad that you had a great time. I am sure Cannes is happy to have you there, you are one of the best.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #335 on: July 22, 2021, 10:06:25 AM »

That's why I recommended it. It's an entertaining perspective on trauma, which is very hard to do.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 22, 2021, 10:26:29 AM »

Tony,  you could maybe find inspiration on how to get films made from "Bowfinger. " 
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 22, 2021, 06:20:03 PM »

Oilcan, "Bowfinger" is an awesome film, I love that movie. :)

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 22, 2021, 06:23:14 PM »

Wendy Carrillo 

18 hours  · 

So proud of the work that went into SB144, signed today, includes major investments in CA Film & TV tax credits and sound stages.

A large piece on equity & diversity for below and above the line workforce related to the oversight of the CA Film Commission began in CA Budget Sub4, which I am honored to chair.

Grateful to the dedicated staff that researched and helped make it a reality. #MoreOfUs  Here’s the signed bill!

“We are providing this incredible tax benefit,” says California Assemblymember Wendy Carrillo, who is leading diversity efforts in Sacramento. “It needs to be reflective of the people of the state.”

----------------------

My response....

Southern California has the best schools in the world, including schools which train filmmakers and actors. We need to create jobs so that they can work here in Southern California after they finish college and when they are all trained and ready to work.

We also need some new studios, for the filmmakers in Orange County, and for the filmmakers who want to make movies in the desert of the Antelope Valley. We can have a new studio in Anaheim, and a new studio in Lancaster.

Keep up the great work. California has great schools, and we need to create jobs for the students after they graduate.

And it would be great to get all new producers, new writers, etc, and film all new television shows, it would be great for people to make a fresh new crop of great television shows with many being made right here in Southern California.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 26, 2021, 02:54:43 PM »

Anaheim needs to start having an annual international film festival. We had one in 2010, and it was great, it would have gotten better over time, but that was it, and we never had another film festival. The same people produced the film festival here in Anaheim who produced the film festival in Palm Springs, and I have not heard of any more film festivals in Palm Springs either. But I did discover a great short film and met an inspiring star.

The best film of the Anaheim film festival, in my opinion, was "The Butterfly Circus" which stars  Nick Vujicic, who was born with no arms and no legs, it is a great film, and it is on You Tube so I can share it with you.

Here is the link...

https://youtu.be/y_MCwlY6zzg

The Anaheim film festival in 2010 was great, and Anaheim needs to start having an annual international film festival every year. Someone needs to organize it. 

And Anaheim needs to build a movie studio for the filmmakers in Orange County.

We have a lot of wonderful schools around here, and we have a lot of beautiful women, and the weather is great, we need to foster Entertainment Industry jobs in Orange County and we can improve the cultural experience. We also need to build a world class Opera House, and we need to support our Ballet, and community theatre, etc. Anaheim is great, and the whole cultural experience can be expanded. I am sure no one would oppose healthy progress and improvement. 

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 30, 2021, 01:04:46 PM »

Lisa Brando, Marlon Brando's daughter, might help me to get my movie made, she put out a call for scripts, and I sent her my script. We will see what happens. I told her that I want Ariana Grande to star in it, with Julie Hutchinson as my casting director. My script is also already registered with SAG to use SAG actors. We will see what happens. I am excited. I have been trying to get my movie made for over 20 years, and it will be exciting if Lisa can help to get it made.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 05, 2021, 05:19:58 PM »

Reese Witherspoon just got nine hundred million dollars to make movies with, and she wants to make movies about women and women's issues, so I sent her an idea for a movie about a woman. There was a soap star who ended up in a cult, and now she made it out and she is a Christian, but she had a really hard time with the cult. Her name is Hunter Tylo, someone can interview her, and someone could make a movie about what happened to her. It could help to teach people how to spot a cult, and how to avoid getting trapped in a cult. It could be a good movie. It would be easy to write, just interview Hunter Tylo and write a movie about what happened to her.

Also, maybe Reese can work together with Lisa Brando to help to make my movie "Echo, A Rock and Roll Tragedy." We will see what happens. With Julie Hutchinson doing the casting, starring Ariana Grande. We will see what happens.

Also, Disney needs to do The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov, the set of films would fit right in with Disney.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 05, 2021, 06:07:08 PM »

Disney could also make "The Count of Monte Cristo" as a set of films, or as a mini-series, they could make it at Cinecitta in Rome.

And someone could make "King Lear" by Shakespeare and they can get Robert De Niro to play King Lear, and that can be filmed at the Occidental studio in East Hollywood.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 07, 2021, 06:13:58 PM »

Also, Disney needs to do The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov, the set of films would fit right in with Disney.

If I am not mistake, the Foundation Trilogy is going to start airing this fall or next year.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #344 on: August 10, 2021, 01:02:24 PM »

It's the first book (the early trilogy) I ordered, around age 12, from the Doubleday-run Science Fiction Book Club.  Many of the concepts and political plot points were over my head then, but I did grasp that shortening a Dark Age from 30,000 years to 1000 years was a good goal.  Revisiting that Asimovian universe is def on the bucket list. 

Wonder if they'll move beyond the early trilogy to his later sequels.  I think there were four more, going into the eighties.  Robots of Dawn was also in that universe, as well as a couple others outside the series. 
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 48