Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 57

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 70094 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #795 on: May 30, 2024, 07:04:07 PM »

TCM today, starting 5 MST: The Front Page, The Front Page, His Girl Friday (also, The Front Page) and Switching Channels (also also The Front Page). Not sure is that is genius programming or incerdibly lazy.
A parrot bit me.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 31, 2024, 09:10:20 AM »

Watch Pat Obrien turn into Rosalind Russell who turns into Jack Lemmon who turns into Kathleen Turner.  TCM really plays with its Johnson there.  Have only seen the Russell and Lemmon versions.  Not sure it would be genius to offer all four in a row, unless they were spaced over a week.  Even then, isn't the last version kind of a POS?  Not a good batting order.
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 01, 2024, 04:34:42 PM »

I have seen all of three and all I need of the other. If HGF is not in my Top 100 it is in my Top 150. Russell is brilliant, and Grant is very very very VERY great at that sort of thing. The first is a bit dated in style but still a true Milestone of... I think I have used that joke before. Wilder's version is ok, but very low grade Wilder. And...  POS. Yes, that is accurate.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 03, 2024, 02:06:22 PM »

We watched The Nest the other day. Forgettable, so much so that I am not entirely sure how, or for that matter if, it ended. I mention it only for one reason. When it came on, I said, "Hey! That's Jude Law!" And... IT WAS!

And I originally typoed "Nude Law" which, I can say even as a strictly heterosexual man, would have been more interesting.
A parrot bit me.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 03, 2024, 03:11:06 PM »

An odd movie which on first viewing I kept expecting to morph into a horror flick, due to a cluster of Gothic mise en scene choices.  Then it just became preposterous and sad as Fassbender keeps trying to maintain his eminence front in a home that would appear to be beyond the price range of most royal family members.  I think he wakes up to his folly at the end and has a good cry, but youre right it lands with such a dull thud that one could forget it entirely.

Im on the pavement

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 03, 2024, 06:16:54 PM »

Yeah, Michael J Lawbender walks home after.getting kicked out of a cab, and I went to let the dog in. And come back to the standard, next up on Netflix ads. Did it end? Did anything happen?
A parrot bit me.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 05, 2024, 03:26:11 PM »

Yeah, Michael J Lawbender walks home after.getting kicked out of a cab, and I went to let the dog in. And come back to the standard, next up on Netflix ads. Did it end? Did anything happen?

Sort of.  I don't recall the precise sequence, but it was something like him shambling in and starting to ramble about some new harebrained scheme that would pull them out of debt and his wife says basically stop with that shit and just STFU.  And he does, then weeps quietly.  And the daughter walks over and hugs him.  Fade to black, roll credits.
Audience members set to muttering, like WTAF?  I could have gone for a little denouement, maybe something like Craig Nelson hurling the tv out of the motel room at the end of Poltergeist.  Or them all grabbing petrol cans and burning the place down.  Or a shot of them all grooming horses on a farm in Kansas for minimum wage but somehow joyful and playfully squirting soap at each other.  Anything.
Im on the pavement

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 06, 2024, 10:46:44 AM »

Sort of.  I don't recall the precise sequence, but it was something like him shambling in and starting to ramble about some new harebrained scheme that would pull them out of debt and his wife says basically stop with that shit and just STFU.  And he does, then weeps quietly.  And the daughter walks over and hugs him.  Fade to black, roll credits.
Audience members set to muttering, like WTAF?  I could have gone for a little denouement, maybe something like Craig Nelson hurling the tv out of the motel room at the end of Poltergeist.  Or them all grabbing petrol cans and burning the place down.  Or a shot of them all grooming horses on a farm in Kansas for minimum wage but somehow joyful and playfully squirting soap at each other.  Anything.
Wife: Do you want to rewind?

Me: Why?
A parrot bit me.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 11, 2024, 09:20:18 AM »

A crisp, witty crime caper, an outlaw romance,  a popcorn movie that also namechecks Nietzsche and offers up a deft interrogation of the nature (and malleability) of identity. Like its chameleonic central character, Richard Linklaters Hit Man can be whatever you want it to be. But mostly, its an unabashed blast of fun...   

https://www.theguardian.com/film/article/2024/may/25/hit-man-review-glen-powell-and-adria-arjona-sizzle-in-richard-linklaters-witty-caper

As the brief review says, Powell has graduated from supporting roles to star power of laser beam intensity.

I would say the same of co-star Adria Arjona. 

Im on the pavement

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 20, 2024, 01:26:18 PM »

RIP to the original Hawkeye Pierce.
A parrot bit me.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 02, 2024, 05:27:30 PM »

Comcast from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, now owns Universal Studios, I sent them a message on Facebook, I hope that Comcast reads my message, and it would be great to work with Comcast making films and television shows for Universal, and I would love to own Universal someday. I hope that Comcast read and likes my message on Facebook, here is a copy of what I posted for them...

New film and television studios are being built in Kentucky, which can help to bring dreams and new visions to the people of Kentucky and of the world.

New studios are also being built in Las Vegas. And Battle Mountain, Nevada, has land for $1,000 per acre and it is the best deal on land in the United States and it is a good safe place with good schools for the children, etc, and there is a college in Elko, Nevada, where they have the Cowboy Poetry Festival.

Meanwhile, Universal is the best, with the Studio in Hollywood, and in Orlando, and the City Walks, etc, I love Universal, and Universal has the biggest record label in the world now when it comes to music. Universal is great.

I hope that Universal will expand and film more in Hollywood, and in Orlando, and in other areas. I wish the best for Universal. ( I worked at Universal Studios in Hollywood in 1995, and I watched Ron Howard as he was making "Apollo 13" and we also had Spielberg, it was great. )

Also, the shops from the City Walk can expand to the Blvds of Southern California now that cruising has returned, etc, Hollywood Blvd, Van Nuys Blvd, Anaheim Blvd, Sunset Blvd, Lancaster Blvd in the desert, etc, they can all use fun shops for the tourists and for the locals.

Salute,

Tony V.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 03, 2024, 03:24:19 PM »

The topic is Movies, as in Seen any good movies lately?

Im on the pavement

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 03, 2024, 03:48:01 PM »

Shit.

Robert Towne, Oscar-Winning 'Chinatown' Screenwriter, Dies At 89
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/robert-towne-dead-chinatown_n_668487ede4b038babc7d581a
A parrot bit me.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 04, 2024, 12:59:09 PM »

Great writer and script MD.  He was inspired by a magazine article about Raymond Chandlers LA, when writing Chinatown.  An odd synchrony, as I had been looking at this still from a Chandler adaptation (famous for being almost entirely POV cinematog) when I heard of his death.

The letter shadows on the office wall is an inspired bit of photography.  Notice also the mispelled headline.

Im on the pavement

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 06, 2024, 07:35:56 AM »

That headline promises quite a yarn.
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 57