Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 42344 times)

liquidsilver

• View Profile
Movies
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:02:06 PM »

Discuss your favorite movies.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 05:00:10 PM »

Here are two great movies that you can only find on You Tube, for free, you cannot buy them.

"Harrison Bergeron"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBcpuBRUdNs

And Orson Welles' version of "Othello"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09NWcKA7JKw

These are two great films that you cannot buy, which can only be found on You Tube for free. It is awesome that they can be found on You Tube.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 11:51:44 AM »

Claire Foy has a noteworthy role in "Unsane," as an office worker who goes through a harrowing involuntary commitment to a private mental hospital (part of an insurance scam). The plot is fairly off-the-shelf in a "bad day keeps getting worse" motif (turns out her former stalker is now an orderly at the hospital), but Soderbergh's experimental approach (which includes shooting the whole film secretly, on an Iphone) makes something that could have been generic quite fascinating. This is NOT a "found footage" film, btw - the production quality is actually excellent and I did not realize until after watching the brief DVD extra that the film was made on an Iphone.

Foy is an actress to watch - considerable talent and screen presence who, in this film, shows her power to completely inhabit a character. There's a scene where she is brought breakfast in a padded room and you feel certain she went full Method Acting on this - skipping a couple meals perhaps - and wolfing it down in a way that I rarely see actors do. No fake chewing here - that girl was hungry.

(after two seasons of "The Crown," what fun it must have been to cram half an egg mcmuffin into one's mouth in front of a camera)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 07:14:18 PM »

Sad news of the death of producer Vincenzo Labella marred by an In Bruges induced snot shot upon reading that he was the producer of Jesus of Fucking Nazareth, with Robert Fucking Powell in the title role.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

barton

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 09:36:28 AM »

Sfunny, I was just reading this,  regarding children in Belgium....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/children-are-being-euthanized-in-belgium/2018/08/06/9473bac2-9988-11e8-b60b-1c897f17e185_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9f9a49d7298c

The chocolates are just for getting them to consent...

oilcan

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 12:26:31 PM »

It's a film thread.  Not a "use the topic to be snide to others" thread. 

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »

It's a film thread.  Not a "use the topic to be snide to others" thread.

So, why are you doing so, snide one?

You don't know kid. He'd be open-minded enough to go see Spike Lee.

Now, move along, Barney Phife. I'm sure there's some real crimes out there In which you can stick your big nose.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

smithtod1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 12:13:49 AM »

What's going on?

barton

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 12:27:24 AM »

Now there's a forum moniker I haven't seen in a few years.  Hi,  Smith.   You still in the Dakotas somewhere?   

oilcan

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 11:16:40 AM »

Smithtod!

Have you seen Spike Lee's new movie, anyone?  Hearing good things.  And the topic seems pretty timely.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »

Watched The Last Jedi because having seen the first seven I felt duty bound to do so. Eh. I thought it was ok. Until the very end, when a slave child walks out with a broom he holds like a light saber and a Resistance ring and I realized I was not seeing the end of episode 8 but the set up for episodes 10,.11 and 12. Holy shit this Fucking thing will never end.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

barton

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 11:23:57 PM »

Someone needs to build a deathstar that works.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 01:43:36 AM »

I've never seen a Star Wars film . . .
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 11:44:04 AM »

I predict "Black Klansman" wins the Best Picture For 2018.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 01:52:25 PM »

Smitty, what up?

I've seen "baby driver" like 50 times now because it's always on SHO, don't pay for HBO or Max for whatever reason, $$, been watching "Get Shorty" the tv series, which is acually better than the movie, darker, and more true to what I thought EL would have envisioned.

Elmore Leonard test:  Who does it best?  Soderbergh, Tarantino, whoever did GS, or the the Peter Weller one, "cat chaser" I think.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48