Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 43003 times)

barton

Re: Movies
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 11:35:23 AM »

SPOILERS FOR "TULLY"

Seriously, this movie has quite the plot twist and so I'm going to type a couple of run-on sentences in here, just in case you absent-mindedly kept reading past the SPOILER ALERT or somehow have the notion that maybe you can stop reading before it gets too spoilery. No. I am going to really really spoil this movie if I even obliquely allude to the plot twist in the final reel. OK, then.

The movie started out for me as a fairly standard indie dramedy with some fairly standard off-the-shelf parts about modern family life, and middle-aged motherhood, and the amusing rigors of affluent suburban life. I probably would have bailed, if not for a strong cast - Charlize Theron, Mark Duplass, Rob Livingston and a new-ish face, Mackenzie Davis, who plays the "night nanny" that Theron's wealthy brother hires for her as a support system for a middle-aged mom with a newborn and a couple of kids already (one of them is "quirky," which is apparently the term that everyone in the movie settles on for the autistic/Asperger's boy).

But then the nanny offers an extra service that seems quite above and beyond the call of duty - and which you wouldn't expect to see in her CV. The scene is a bit surreal, but the film presents it a way that dulls the edges of implausbility enough to keep you thinking it's real and maybe this is something that's even a trend in some part of the country you don't live in.

From this point on, the movie had me well-hooked. And, looking back, I don't quite understand how I didn't see the Big Reveal coming at the end. Plenty of bread crumbs were dropped for me. I usually can smell this particular twist coming a mile away. I can imagine real pleasure in watching again, knowing the true status of Tully the nanny, and considering the clever allegorical story that it all becomes when you understand that status.

Grade: A (in spite of my general aversion to films that focus too often on the details of lactation and breast pumps)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2018, 11:42:22 AM »

"Juliet, Naked" very entertaining. Have to love Ethan Hawke.

"The Wife", Glenn Close Oscar nomination coming.

See them both, but see "The Wife", now.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

oilcan

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2018, 12:17:04 PM »

I liked Tully.  Haven't seen Juliet, Naked, but any film that has naked in the title tweaks primitive Cro-Magnon movie instincts, and Ethan Hawke has been really getting better as an actor in the past decade.  I don't recommend Hereditary, which was too unrelievedly grim and then just turned into a bunch of better horror film ripoffs at the end.  A Star is Born is just shit, just like the previous version was. 

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2018, 05:11:21 PM »

I can rec "Tully", also. Dark comedy with a message---hang in there, it's worth it.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2018, 04:26:16 AM »

I found Tully pretty average and not that engaging.
The pieces didn't come together or add up to much for me.

I would strongly rec Young Adult for a Reitman/Cody/Theron film.  Just looked it up and that was way back in 2011 (I would have thought 2013 or'14).  Actually these two films are really companion pieces, so if you liked Tully, check out Young Adult.

Tully had a lot of writerly tricks which didn't work for me and were too visible on screen.  While I thought Young Adult remained unpredictable and fresh.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2018, 12:30:38 PM »

It seems William Goldman finally went up against a Sicilian when DEATH was on the line. RIP
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

oilcan

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2018, 01:02:02 PM »

"What happened to the old bank? It was beautiful.”

“People kept robbing it.”

“Small price to pay for beauty.”

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 01:18:42 PM »

"What happened to the old bank? It was beautiful.”

“People kept robbing it.”

“Small price to pay for beauty.”
When I heard Goldman died, I thought of a line, from the movie where Winslet and Diaz switch houses, about an old time screenwriter played by Eli Wallach: there are things we say that we only say because he wrote them first.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 04:56:27 PM »

Maybe, just maybe..."he's only mostly dead".

barton

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2018, 06:49:07 PM »

Inconceivable!

One of the true masters.   

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2018, 12:23:14 PM »

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is now streaming on Netflix after a brief qualifying run in theaters. Not top flight Coens, but still pretty good. I particularly liked the last two segments, with Zoe Kazan and Bill Heck finding love on a wagon train, only to have the Coens upset our expectations, the bastards, and five people riding in a stagecoach with death hovering above them in a figurative and literal sense. Great torrents of words you dare not laugh at lest you miss something and a slowly darkening mood as three of the riders start to realize there may be something... otherworldly about the whole journey.  Also features the bleakest, darkest episode I think the Coens have have ever filmed, and a chilling, merciless smile from Liam Neeson to wrap it up. Also, Tom Waits was born - or at least aged - to play a grizzled prospectors.

Well willing to forgive that the titular first episode is the  brothers in my least favorite of their modes, and that the second is essentially a 15 minute filmed version of an old joke. A wading in before.the abyss as it were.

oilcan

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »

"The quality of mercy is not strained,  it droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven. "

Never going to hear that line the same again.   

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2018, 05:38:12 PM »

That made me want to stick my head in the oven. Fortunately electric.

barton

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2018, 10:52:28 AM »

We don't have Netflix but are doing a one month free trial mostly to see TBoBS.   

I will read your more extended review at 3rd Eye,  when we've watched it.   

Last night I plumbed what is truly the bottom tier of Coeniana with "Suburbicon."  An incoherent goatfuck of trite and poorly connected cliches of the 50s, which systematically exterminates almost the entire cast without any real feeling of either loss or gain.   As sterile as its suburban countertops.   Surprised Joel and Ethan didn't Alan Smithee their script contribution. 

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2018, 11:58:43 AM »

I figured there was a reason they did not make it themselves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50