Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 48

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 42341 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2018, 05:47:46 PM »

On the issue of helping the stars and the filmmakers of the future...

Actors need to help each other out during the hard times, and Meryl Streep lived in a commune for a time before she was big and famous. The actors who are big and rich and famous need to help out the actors who are starving by buying places like the Oban Hotel in Hollywood, on Yucca, and making it into a hostel for actors. More communes for actors and writers and filmmakers would also be good.

In the old days there were nuns who ran apartments for starving actresses, etc, and there needs to be more help for starving artists.

The Princess Grace Awards helps actors and filmmakers by awarding them grants so that they can focus on studying, and creating art, etc, and there needs to be more stuff like that. (And I told them to help the students at the AADA where Princess Grace Kelly Grimaldi studied acting, etc)

And the big studios can do more to help the starving artists too, a lot more can be done.

There is a charity group which gets jobs for the homeless people, the charity is Chrysalis, and they get homeless actors and filmmakers jobs working at the Sony Studios in Culver City, and they are establishing a relationship with Disneyland in Anaheim to get the homeless people jobs working at Disney, etc.

More needs to be done to help the starving actors and filmmakers here in Hollywood. Someday they will be rich and famous, but right now many are starving, and they need a helping hand.

Salute,

Tony V.

oilcan

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2018, 11:43:35 AM »

People in third world countries are snickering at "starving actresses...." 

I think hostels, set up as artist hubs, is a good idea, though.  It's a little easier to practice your lines, and show up for auditions, if you aren't busting your hump in a minimum wage job just to make rent. 

oilcan

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2019, 11:48:15 AM »

You all would like "Vice."  Good performances, some very funny/dark moments, and an hilarious mid-credits cut to a focus group that's discussing the movie itself (IOW, don't leave when the credits roll). 

barton

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2019, 12:11:40 PM »

I did, with some reservations....here's a comment I left at Third Eye:

I liked "Vice," an amusing and unapologetically mocking dark comedy, but it definitely has some weak spots. Steve Carell is somehow just wrong as Donald Rumsfeld and made me intensely aware that he was Steve Carell doing a caricature. Almost cartoonish. And I could say much the same about Sam Rockwell as GW Bush (admittedly, Josh Brolin is a tough act to follow). I would also question the degree of coldness that is imputed to Cheney (not that he wasn't a bastard) in regard to his daughter's congress race and her tossing her sister under the Sanctity of Marriage bus. While one can argue that Cheney was some sort of evil puppet-master of the W administration, I tend to think it was likely more of an ensemble effort. There were some informative sidebars and captions that deliver some interesting information (a bit reminiscent of The Big Short) for younger viewers who may not have been aware of Cheney's adherence to the concept of the "unitary executive."

It's the kind of movie that should send any honest person off to spend a few hours fact-checking. Unfortunately, most viewers will probably just place a few checkmarks on either a Knew That checklist or a Fake News checklist.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2019, 10:14:07 PM »

I did, with some reservations....here's a comment I left at Third Eye:

I liked "Vice," an amusing and unapologetically mocking dark comedy, but it definitely has some weak spots. Steve Carell is somehow just wrong as Donald Rumsfeld and made me intensely aware that he was Steve Carell doing a caricature. Almost cartoonish. And I could say much the same about Sam Rockwell as GW Bush (admittedly, Josh Brolin is a tough act to follow). I would also question the degree of coldness that is imputed to Cheney (not that he wasn't a bastard) in regard to his daughter's congress race and her tossing her sister under the Sanctity of Marriage bus. While one can argue that Cheney was some sort of evil puppet-master of the W administration, I tend to think it was likely more of an ensemble effort. There were some informative sidebars and captions that deliver some interesting information (a bit reminiscent of The Big Short) for younger viewers who may not have been aware of Cheney's adherence to the concept of the "unitary executive."

It's the kind of movie that should send any honest person off to spend a few hours fact-checking. Unfortunately, most viewers will probably just place a few checkmarks on either a Knew That checklist or a Fake News checklist.   

Sounds about right.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »

Biggest surprise on the Oscar noms today has to be Pawel Pawelkowski being nominated for Cold War, over Cooper and Farrley. Haven't seen it, but I thought his earlier BFL winner Ida was a strikingly beautiful snooze.

Look forward to watching Tim Blake Nelson and Willie Watson during on WaCTHSfW at the show. Hope Nelson gets wings and his harp.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

barton

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2019, 08:36:41 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/movies/netflix-ballad-of-buster-scruggs.html

The spouse and I continue to avoid streaming services for several reasons,  so we're effectively shut out of Scruggs.  The anti moviehouse business model has just firmed up our boycott of Nflix.   Movies belong in theaters, and AA nominees especially should have extended theatrical releases and second runs.   (same comment on Roma)

You should run that acronym past Bill Weeden...

barton

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2019, 11:09:46 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/feb/23/trump-picks-up-two-razzies-as-holmes-watson-dominates-worst-of-hollywood

When I read that "Etan Cohen" won worst director I had a moment of confusion, but Wikipedia resolved it...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etan_Cohen

barton

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2019, 03:12:49 PM »

While I'm on about spellings of names, why do the Irish need so many vowels when one would suffice?

Take Saoirse Ronan (nominated last year, in LadyBird).  It's Sur-sheh.  Dump the "aoi" and use a "u" and everyone can go home. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2019, 10:29:01 PM »

While I'm on about spellings of names, why do the Irish need so many vowels when one would suffice?

Take Saoirse Ronan (nominated last year, in LadyBird).  It's Sur-sheh.  Dump the "aoi" and use a "u" and everyone can go home.

Cof, cof.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2019, 10:05:32 AM »

Because the English were teaching them to spell.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2019, 10:13:00 AM »

The Fair and Equal Oscars were held last night, making sure everyone both loved and hated who in whatever category was given a trophy.

Shocker of the evening was not that the most boring film of the year (Roma) did not receive an award, but that Glenn Close was denied the statuette.

It worked well with no host, producing only two awkward moments---Samuel L. Jackson's inability to read the script, and stunning-in-pink Julia Roberts left on the stage at the end meekly saying into the camera, essentially, "That's all, folks!"

barton

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2019, 11:48:31 AM »

Shocker of the evening was not that the most boring film of the year (Roma) did not receive an award...   

Cinematography, directing, foreign film.  Won 3 awards.  So, yes, that wasn't a shocker. 

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2019, 12:07:47 PM »

The complete non-shocker was that Hollywood's Glory Syndrome, in which the Black experience can best be presented through its effects on White people, is alive and well.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

barton

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2019, 03:28:37 PM »

Bingo bongo!

Yeah, there were, what, four widely distributed movies that approached the black experience through black people, but the best pic pick was the one that didn't so much.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 48