Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 42368 times)

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2019, 04:45:46 PM »

Shocker of the evening was not that the most boring film of the year (Roma) did not receive an award...   

Cinematography, directing, foreign film.  Won 3 awards.  So, yes, that wasn't a shocker.

Excuse me THE BEST PICTURE Award...which it had business being nominated for, in the first place.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2019, 04:49:26 PM »

Bingo bongo!

Yeah, there were, what, four widely distributed movies that approached the black experience through black people, but the best pic pick was the one that didn't so much.

Maybe that is because whites are the key to changing the black experience, as they've always been, since 1619.

Btw, is Spike Lee still throwing a hissy fit like some 12 year old girl?

barton

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2019, 08:02:34 PM »

Green Book was maybe just intended to be a buddy movie, in which case it may be too modest a movie to really be much concerned with authentic tracking of racial experience, whatever that may be.  My reading of reactions to it, from friends, is that it drew rather uninspiredly on the tropes of Magical Negro and White Saviour, as a way to make it more "accessible."  Usually when I hear that word, I'm hearing about a film that lacks what seems to me to be that special voice that resounds from great movies.

Instead of name-calling, consider the possibility that Lee saw the deficiency I just outlined. 

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2019, 10:29:43 PM »

Green Book was maybe just intended to be a buddy movie, in which case it may be too modest a movie to really be much concerned with authentic tracking of racial experience, whatever that may be.  My reading of reactions to it, from friends, is that it drew rather uninspiredly on the tropes of Magical Negro and White Saviour, as a way to make it more "accessible."  Usually when I hear that word, I'm hearing about a film that lacks what seems to me to be that special voice that resounds from great movies.

Instead of name-calling, consider the possibility that Lee saw the deficiency I just outlined.

Did you SEE "Green Book", because none of that White Savior BS applies.

It's just a form of  entertainment in which two characters of vastly different types become friends. If anything, the Savior in the movie was the black character, nit the white character. Anyone insisting that there is some litmus test to pass for making a movie involving racially different characters is an idiot, or has his or her own agenda.

Lee is not the final arbiter of art, and merely showed himself to be a stereotypical sore loser.

His statement about losing to someone driving a car every twenty years may have inspired his outfit, though. He was dressed in a purple chauffer's outfit.

barton

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2019, 01:41:17 PM »

So aside from a racist mockery of Lee's clothing choices, which pretty much undermines everything else you said on the lofty topic of racism and litmus tests (whatever those are)....where is your evidence he is a sore loser?  Maybe he was just disgusted at the choice of an okay buddy movie for Best Picture.  And honest enough to show his disgust.  Lots of movies are "just a form of entertainment."  That doesn't really qualify them for best picture.  If Guillermo del Toro had registered the same disapproval for the Best Pic choice, what would you have done?  Tell me he's not the final arbiter of art and that he was dressed like a Tijuana pimp? 

And I'm still confused at this strawman "final arbiter of art" - who said anyone is the final arbiter of art?  People have opinions.  Some of them, like Lee, openly express them.  That doesn't mean they are having a "hissy fit....like a 12 year old girl." 

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2019, 03:22:45 PM »

So aside from a racist mockery of Lee's clothing choices, which pretty much undermines everything else you said on the lofty topic of racism and litmus tests (whatever those are)....where is your evidence he is a sore loser?  Maybe he was just disgusted at the choice of an okay buddy movie for Best Picture.  And honest enough to show his disgust.  Lots of movies are "just a form of entertainment."  That doesn't really qualify them for best picture.  If Guillermo del Toro had registered the same disapproval for the Best Pic choice, what would you have done?  Tell me he's not the final arbiter of art and that he was dressed like a Tijuana pimp? 

And I'm still confused at this strawman "final arbiter of art" - who said anyone is the final arbiter of art?  People have opinions.  Some of them, like Lee, openly express them.  That doesn't mean they are having a "hissy fit....like a 12 year old girl."

After presenter Julia Roberts announced “Green Book” as Best Picture, AP reporter Andrew Dalton was one of several journalists who noticed Lee wave his arms in anger before storming out of the theater. However, before he could leave, he was stopped at the doors and was forced to return to his seat once the speeches had stopped.

Jordan Peele, the Oscar-winning writer-director behind last year’s “Get Out,” reportedly didn’t clap either, nor did other attendees nearby.

The backlash appears to be in response to controversy surrounding the film, which had been criticized for perpetuating what some saw as a “white savior” narrative approach to examining race relations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2019/film/news/spike-lee-oscars-green-book-1203148178/amp/

You really should know what you are talking about before you express such idiocy as the above.Nothing racist. Anywhere, but in Lee's, and apparently, your minds.

barton

« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2019, 03:44:54 PM »

You're shifting the topic.  I didn't say the film was racist.  I said I understood that some argued that it had a racist cliche or two, and that this opinion was part of their basis for asserting it wasn't best picture.  All you argue, so far, is that anyone who has that opinion and not yours, is an idiot.  That argument is only persuasive if you are somehow sovereign over all our movie viewing and how we may react. 

Nor does informing me that Spike Lee looked angry give me a detailed understanding of his opinions.  Maybe you can make fun of his clothes again or call him a twelve year old girl having a hissy fit.  That'll convince me!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2019, 03:54:29 PM »

After presenter Julia Roberts announced “Green Book” as Best Picture, AP reporter Andrew Dalton was one of several journalists who noticed Lee wave his arms in anger before storming out of the theater. However, before he could leave, he was stopped at the doors and was forced to return to his seat once the speeches had stopped.

Jordan Peele, the Oscar-winning writer-director behind last year’s “Get Out,” reportedly didn’t clap either, nor did other attendees nearby.

The backlash appears to be in response to controversy surrounding the film, which had been criticized for perpetuating what some saw as a “white savior” narrative approach to examining race relations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2019/film/news/spike-lee-oscars-green-book-1203148178/amp/

You really should know what you are talking about before you express such idiocy as the above.Nothing racist. Anywhere, but in Lee's, and apparently, your minds.

It's as if you didn't even read the quote you  posted!

What do you think "a white savior narrative" is???! It's racist.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2019, 04:58:55 PM »

Hamilton will always - ALWAYS - offer precisely the argument you would expect a racist to make. Including,  " No, YOU'RE a racist" and consistently negatively judging the behavior of black people.

Black persons did not clap for Green Book. White person presenter Brie Larson, for one example, did not clap for Casey Affleck two years ago. Half the white audience protested Elia Kazan's Honorary Oscar by leaving or sitting on their hands.  Guess who Hamilton has a problem with.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2019, 10:42:45 AM »

You're shifting the topic.  I didn't say the film was racist.  I said I understood that some argued that it had a racist cliche or two, and that this opinion was part of their basis for asserting it wasn't best picture.  All you argue, so far, is that anyone who has that opinion and not yours, is an idiot.  That argument is only persuasive if you are somehow sovereign over all our movie viewing and how we may react. 

Nor does informing me that Spike Lee looked angry give me a detailed understanding of his opinions.  Maybe you can make fun of his clothes again or call him a twelve year old girl having a hissy fit.  That'll convince me!

Did you see the fucking movie?

Apparently, not. There's no White Savior in it. There is a black Savior, though.

I didn't inform you Spije looks angry. I informed you he WAS angry.

And he was angry that the movie went to white artists.

And he was dressed as a chauffeur. The end.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2019, 10:47:26 AM »

Hamilton will always - ALWAYS - offer precisely the argument you would expect a racist to make. Including,  " No, YOU'RE a racist" and consistently negatively judging the behavior of black people.

Black persons did not clap for Green Book. White person presenter Brie Larson, for one example, did not clap for Casey Affleck two years ago. Half the white audience protested Elia Kazan's Honorary Oscar by leaving or sitting on their hands.  Guess who Hamilton has a problem with.

Fuck you, altar boy. You don't know shit, other than running around labeling anyone with a different opinion than you as a racist, you pusillanimous, pimple-faced, putrid, piece of anal pus.

Run along and defend the Church and its fudgepackers, you elephant turd.

barton

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2019, 01:13:52 PM »

Confused now: is he anal pus or an elephant turd?  Those are two quite different things.

I don't have my copy of Lexicon of Angry American Eight Year Olds handy, atm.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2019, 01:42:07 PM »

Confused now: is he anal pus or an elephant turd?  Those are two quite different things.

Like I said, ha.ilton always reacts as a.racist reacts. As in assuming Lee acted as he did not because a specific movie with a typically Hlywood view of race won, but because any white won. Hamilton is white grievance entire. Any racial protest, and he attacks the blacks for it, for the content or the manner of it. White movie after white movis has won the Oscar with no peep from Lee. But Hamilton is always loath to admit any justice to Black protest, where he cannot attack the protest he attacks the protestor.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2019, 08:46:41 PM »

Like I said, ha.ilton always reacts as a.racist reacts. As in assuming Lee acted as he did not because a specific movie with a typically Hlywood view of race won, but because any white won. Hamilton is white grievance entire. Any racial protest, and he attacks the blacks for it, for the content or the manner of it. White movie after white movis has won the Oscar with no peep from Lee. But Hamilton is always loath to admit any justice to Black protest, where he cannot attack the protest he attacks the protestor.

No assumption, chimp smegma.

barton

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2019, 12:35:04 AM »

I found much to like in Green Book, a warm dip in what may be some fantasy, which does provide a good buddy dramedy and an amusing role reversal.  Seemed like the two guys save each other, to some degree.  I doubt the the pianist, from what i know of musicians (living with them, and being one), actually blew off his final gig.  At the end of the day, you know that hurts the next group who wants a booking there.  And the next.

In a fictional interpretation, however, it delivers an easy feelgood  moment. 

Not a best pic, imo,  but a compelling look at loneliness and oddly matched friends. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48