Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 42370 times)

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2019, 01:20:17 PM »

I found much to like in Green Book, a warm dip in what may be some fantasy, which does provide a good buddy dramedy and an amusing role reversal.  Seemed like the two guys save each other, to some degree.  I doubt the the pianist, from what i know of musicians (living with them, and being one), actually blew off his final gig.  At the end of the day, you know that hurts the next group who wants a booking there.  And the next.

In a fictional interpretation, however, it delivers an easy feelgood  moment. 

Not a best pic, imo,  but a compelling look at loneliness and oddly matched friends.

So, you realize this positive post on Green Book will make you a racist in the eyes of that fucking displaced to Arizona moralist who continually overlooks the disgusting immoral record of the Catholic Church.

While he gets himself into a lather over a movie, he stays mum on the rape and sexual abuse of women and children.

Sad.

barton

« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2019, 05:45:47 PM »

I can't find a sentence, or even a clause, in your post that seems true. 

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2019, 06:26:27 PM »

I would not worry about it. There is no one whose opinion of me means less to me.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2019, 10:21:47 PM »

I would not worry about it. There is no one whose opinion of me means less to me.

Though likely a couple of folks occupying the same prime real estate.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2019, 10:29:04 PM »

You're shifting the topic.  I didn't say the film was racist.  I said I understood that some argued that it had a racist cliche or two, and that this opinion was part of their basis for asserting it wasn't best picture.  All you argue, so far, is that anyone who has that opinion and not yours, is an idiot.  That argument is only persuasive if you are somehow sovereign over all our movie viewing and how we may react. 

Nor does informing me that Spike Lee looked angry give me a detailed understanding of his opinions.  Maybe you can make fun of his clothes again or call him a twelve year old girl having a hissy fit.  That'll convince me!

Did you see the fucking movie?

Apparently, not. There's no White Savior in it.

Shockingly enough, I will take the dozens of African-Americans' opinions on this over yours.

One of many articles on the topic.
https://www.salon.com/2018/12/30/hollywood-still-loves-a-white-savior-green-book-and-the-lazy-feel-good-take-on-race/
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2019, 10:10:01 PM »

You're shifting the topic.  I didn't say the film was racist.  I said I understood that some argued that it had a racist cliche or two, and that this opinion was part of their basis for asserting it wasn't best picture.  All you argue, so far, is that anyone who has that opinion and not yours, is an idiot.  That argument is only persuasive if you are somehow sovereign over all our movie viewing and how we may react. 

Nor does informing me that Spike Lee looked angry give me a detailed understanding of his opinions.  Maybe you can make fun of his clothes again or call him a twelve year old girl having a hissy fit.  That'll convince me!

Shockingly enough, I will take the dozens of African-Americans' opinions on this over yours.

https://www.salon.com/2018/12/30/hollywood-still-loves-a-white-savior-green-book-and-the-lazy-feel-good-take-on-race/

So you did NOT see the movie.

The end.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2019, 10:47:32 PM »

So you did NOT see the movie.

The end.

So, I saw the movie - and I understood the movie. But I still defer to the judgment of others over yours.

And had I thought as you thought and they had chimed in as they did, I would have reassessed my opinion.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2019, 04:57:22 PM »

Well, you are easily influenced by others. Perhaps some day you'll learn to think for yourself.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2019, 05:32:40 PM »

Well, you are easily influenced by others. Perhaps some day you'll learn to think for yourself.

You are still a bigot and as far as I can tell there is zero chance that you will learn to listen to those who know more than you.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2019, 06:54:40 PM »

Because you know more than me, right, Professor? Naaah....you just like to threaten to ban people for telling the truth.

Bite me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2019, 07:20:12 PM »

Because you know more than me, right, Professor? Naaah....you just like to threaten to ban people for telling the truth.

Bite me.

No, Piggy. Because they know more than either of us.

But I figured that would be too subtle for you, in your haste to defend your bigotry.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2019, 09:45:44 AM »

Taking a page from Lazy AZ Steve? Can't win an argument on it's merits? Label your opponent as a racist or bigot.

So, tell us, Joshie. Why did your wife leave you?

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2019, 12:09:17 PM »

Taking a page from Lazy AZ Steve? Can't win an argument on it's merits? Label your opponent as a racist or bigot.

It is merits? What is that supposed to mean, you fucking racist troll.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2019, 02:29:43 PM »

Changing your argument, since you lost your way on the last one?

Piggy, you should stick to simpler questions like "when did you stop beating your wife?"

The argument about whether there is a white savior character in Green Book is the basis for the immediate observation that you are a racist, but you've been demonstrating that for years, now. It's not a new observation relative to this argument, merely one you illustrate anew.

Your decision to pretend that Michael Jackson is relevant to the discussion is just further proof.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2019, 08:28:48 AM »

See? Joshie. Your "arguments" always boil down to the same concept. If one doesnt "get" or agree with you, they are a racist/bigot.

How sad that you lean on such a worn out crutch.

But again, why did she leave? Was it the scruffy, greying, beard that was perpetually reaking of the scent of Fritos? Was it the craft beer gut that seemed to grow larger with each successive day? Or was it the pictures she found in your phone that bankshit accidentally forwarded to you?

It's okay. You can share with us. We are here to support you.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48