Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 48

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 42347 times)

oilcan

Re: Movies
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2019, 08:01:02 PM »

"My son has been kidnapped by rock stars."

I liked EJ lyrics partly because they are distinctive....I often have trouble remembering rock lyrics exactly, but there are a dozen John songs I can easily recall in their entirety.   Even ones that got little airplay like "Grimsby. "

oilcan

« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2019, 12:24:00 PM »

JOSH,

The Third Eye film forum might be closing, and archiving itself (with the Wayback Machine or whatever), and some there wondered if Elba could accommodate them (it's about six active members left).  That would involve adding a couple more film threads (but wouldn't need to transport any posts, just start fresh ones). 

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2019, 12:57:58 PM »

JOSH,

The Third Eye film forum might be closing, and archiving itself (with the Wayback Machine or whatever), and some there wondered if Elba could accommodate them (it's about six active members left).  That would involve adding a couple more film threads (but wouldn't need to transport any posts, just start fresh ones).
Wait... they let you in?
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

oilcan

« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2019, 04:09:49 PM »

Hahaha!  I'm "Knox" over at Elba, where I peek in intermittently.   Last I heard, the real OCB was raising four kids and busy with career and all.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2019, 06:38:50 PM »

Who is there who is not here? Billy? Syd?

Current Film
Couch With a View

We already have trivia, Lobby is basically the rest of Elba. What else.gets used?
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

barton

« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »

Bill, Syd, Carol, Ghulam, Befade.  Grace stops by semiannually.   Yambu has vanished.

Bo, Oil, me,  Mr. Ferris Wheeler, already here. 

Yeah, Couch and Current should cover it.   

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2019, 06:45:46 AM »

"An American Woman". Oscar nomination for Sienna Miller's performance is due.

barton

« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2019, 11:54:08 AM »

Haven't yet had the pleasure, but you had me at "Sienna Miller."  She's been terrific in everything I've seen her in.

Rewatched Sita Sings the Blues, again.  Damn I love this film.  The Ramayana, and the bluesy torch songs that Annette Hanshaw sang in the 20s/30s, dovetail perfectly.  Superb and whimsical animation, great music, witty voiceovers from Indian-Americans who were steeped, or at least briefly dunked, in the Ramayana growing up, and a sad but redemptive breakup story - movies don't get more watchable, or rewatchable, than this gem.  Seen it four times now, and plan to see it four more at least before they apply my toe-tag. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2019, 03:25:06 PM »

Haven't yet had the pleasure, but you had me at "Sienna Miller."  She's been terrific in everything I've seen her in.

Rewatched Sita Sings the Blues, again.  Damn I love this film.  The Ramayana, and the bluesy torch songs that Annette Hanshaw sang in the 20s/30s, dovetail perfectly.  Superb and whimsical animation, great music, witty voiceovers from Indian-Americans who were steeped, or at least briefly dunked, in the Ramayana growing up, and a sad but redemptive breakup story - movies don't get more watchable, or rewatchable, than this gem.  Seen it four times now, and plan to see it four more at least before they apply my toe-tag.
Still fully and freely downloadable.  Still my favorite animated film this century, if not of all time.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2019, 03:28:44 PM »

Assemble the Monkey Warriors!

https://youtu.be/cgbp6AtU8Hw

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2019, 03:54:57 PM »

It's her best performance, evvahh!

oilcan

« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2019, 01:05:47 PM »

Burn After Reading - saw this again, and had that mixed feeling of laughing really hard while feeling pretty bad for most of the characters, especially the lovelorn Richard Jenkins (as the gym manager).  Nothing makes sense, as Greek chorister JK Simmons notes, and there is no justice, and no one seems to learn anything useful.  Most are dead, or embedded in a paranoid shell in Argentina.  The fact that the Coens can make this so entertaining, and poke some fine fun at American narcissism and body-image obsessions, speaks to their skill as filmmakers.  And how can one not love that Brad Pitt, who usually plays fairly savvy fellows, here embraces and owns the role of absolute knucklehead. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2019, 01:52:29 PM »

Burn After Reading - saw this again, and had that mixed feeling of laughing really hard while feeling pretty bad for most of the characters, especially the lovelorn Richard Jenkins (as the gym manager).  Nothing makes sense, as Greek chorister JK Simmons notes, and there is no justice, and no one seems to learn anything useful.  Most are dead, or embedded in a paranoid shell in Argentina.  (Venezuela) The fact that the Coens can make this so entertaining, and poke some fine fun at American narcissism and body-image obsessions, speaks to their skill as filmmakers.  And how can one not love that Brad Pitt, who usually plays fairly savvy fellows, here embraces and owns the role of absolute knucklehead.
JK Simmons is high on my list of great Coen brothers minor characters who run off with all or part of the movie. Right up there with the noir cops in Barton Fink. I would recommend the movie just to watch him in his two.scenes. That, and the way the photo of Putin looks over the shoulder of the Russian Embassy functionary.

I don't think the movie means much, but it is a hoot. Great performances. (According to Pitt, he told the Coens he was not sure he could play a character so utterly clueless. There response: a brief pause, and then, You'll be fine).

Though I would dispute one thing: the only person I felt any sympathy for.was Jenkins's character.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:55:20 PM by Hairy Lime »

barton

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2019, 12:26:34 PM »

" I have a drinking problem? Fuck you, Peck! You're a Mormon! Next to you, we all have a drinking problem!"

Still haven't seen Dermot Mulroney in "Coming Up Daisy."  On my must-see list....right next to "Home for Purim." 

Jenkins was the only truly sympathetic role, for sure, and is great off the blocks with his "I'm not comfortable with this" scene.  His axing, at the end, is your pure anti-Hollywood gesture - the one decent human being obliterated by Cox who, at that point, seems to be part of the machinery of an absurd universe with a god that is looking the other way. 

Simmons is one of those character actors who can arch an eyebrow, frown skeptically, and put the audience in stitches.  Not that I didn't also like him as a total bastard in "Whiplash." 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2019, 02:25:08 PM »

Having heartily disliked his BFF Oscar Winner Ida, I approached Pawel Pawelkowski's Cold War with some trepidation. What I got was a beautiful (B&W, academy ratio, interesting changes in contrasts and background focus as the move progressed), passionate, musical and lyrical story of ill-matched obsessed love. Great acting - Joanna Kulig is a force. Loved it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 48