Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 19, 2018, 11:04:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52943 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2985 on: December 29, 2007, 04:16:25 PM »

Is PTA's new one the oil/western with D. Day Lewis?  Might try to catch that one this weekend, if it opens here in outer america.

They played the "There Will Be Blood" preview before NCFOM (which I've seen 3 times) and it looks great.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2986 on: December 29, 2007, 06:13:39 PM »

http://www.flakmag.com/film/nocountry.html

Came across a solid review of No Country For Old Men at the above link. I like his interpretation of Chigurh's quote, If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule.The reviewer, new to me, is Sean Weitner and he also does a good job 'splaining Mulholland Drive. I've only seen No Country... twice but will take Weitner's viewpoint with me to see it at least once more.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2987 on: December 29, 2007, 08:25:54 PM »

Nice piece, Sean Weitner!!
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2988 on: December 29, 2007, 08:34:58 PM »

Guy's a good writer, never heard the term "catspaw" before, and I usually know words, and the term that I now forget that describes the hole made in the lock, good job.  I like how he ends his review with a bang like he's writing a story and esentially he is, about experience and having the devil's advocate on your shoulder, "Why should this book be a film," and saying why at the end.  I agree on sometimes overthinking type or tycasting to where you have a guy playing against "type" because he has the money to, or where a guy is playing "type" to someone's lousy screenplay, which is not playing type but playing shit no matter what the central casting calls for...TLJ isn't necessarily the name that makes the donkey move in terms of casting anymore I wouldn't think, but "Coen Bros. picture," so I would hope that it was a choice where he didn't disappoint instead of an economic reality where they were "thank god he can act," which, you would think, the Coen's probably stalked him but you never know.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2989 on: December 29, 2007, 09:18:30 PM »

Do you buy that story on IMBD re: Robert Rodriguez shooting an audition tape for Brolin to send to the Coens?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2990 on: December 29, 2007, 11:00:43 PM »

I also heard good stuff about There Will Be Blood from a reliable source.  He liked Daniel Day-Lewis's performance and says the flick kicks ass literally and figuratively.  Plus kudos for PTA's direction -- calls it pretty much a must-see.

And speaking of the Coen brothers, Flix is running a Coen double-feature tomorrow (Sunday, Dec 30), with Fargo at 8pm and The Big Lebowski after - 9:40 maybe?  I know I've seen them to death, but I'm looking forward to it anyway.
rmdig

« Reply #2991 on: December 30, 2007, 11:53:18 AM »

My son and I took in No Country for Old Men yesterday and generally admired it.  Good acting all round, good script.  As we filed out of the theater we overhard a couple people wondering if Chigurh was ever brought to justice.  They seemed to think Sheriff Bell retired after he got his man.  We both saw Chigurh walking down the sidewalk after that auto accident as an indication that evil is alive and, if not exactly well, still out there nonetheless. I haven't read the book, however, and was wondering if McCarthy suggests anything different regarding Chigurh's fate. Can anyone help?   
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2992 on: December 30, 2007, 12:31:53 PM »

"No Country For Old Men" *** SPOILERS ***

The ending in the movie was pretty faithful to the ending in the book (ambiguous, unsatisfying, Moss dies and we don't get to see how, etc.), even though the movie probably would have been better received by the general movie-going public had they changed the ending to reduce the WTF? factor.
rmdig

« Reply #2993 on: December 30, 2007, 12:45:21 PM »

Moss is dead on the floor of that motel room, shot I presume by Chigurh.  What was your take on that?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2994 on: December 30, 2007, 02:05:13 PM »

Presents, for various curiosities, I've been researching this morning or catching up with things that I meant to follow through.

Here's one from a conference-interview. Turn up your sound and listen closely to the voice of Xavier Bardem.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3WMFHeJen2Q
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2995 on: December 30, 2007, 02:09:03 PM »

My son and I took in No Country for Old Men yesterday and generally admired it.  Good acting all round, good script.  As we filed out of the theater we overhard a couple people wondering if Chigurh was ever brought to justice.  They seemed to think Sheriff Bell retired after he got his man.  We both saw Chigurh walking down the sidewalk after that auto accident as an indication that evil is alive and, if not exactly well, still out there nonetheless. I haven't read the book, however, and was wondering if McCarthy suggests anything different regarding Chigurh's fate. Can anyone help?   
Chigurh was not brought to justice, at least by Bell.  He abdicates his responsibilities, and decides he does not want to put his soul at hazard, as he put it in the opening narration.  That's the point of the scene with Ellis, and his dreams.  Least, that was my take.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2996 on: December 30, 2007, 02:10:43 PM »

Harrie,  more trivia to which the New York Times did devote a magazine some Sundays ago about what is happening to the Western; and I shall post that link to oilcanboyd23.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/11/11/magazine/20071111_STYLE_SLIDESHOW_inde

Ps. Sorry! I  found this was not linking to site although it is listed under the article link that I posted to oilcanboyd23. Scroll down the column to: Coen Brothers Country (slide show of 13 characters)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:27:52 PM by madupont » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2997 on: December 30, 2007, 02:11:46 PM »

oilcanboyd3

http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2007/11/11/magazine/index.html
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2998 on: December 30, 2007, 02:13:09 PM »

Moss is dead on the floor of that motel room, shot I presume by Chigurh.  What was your take on that?
I know the answer to that, but I ain't at liberty to give out no int-formation.

Actually, I thought it was pretty clear that Moss was killed in a gun battle with the Mexicans who had also been chasing him, and not by Chigurh.  

What does it matter?  All is grace.
rmdig

« Reply #2999 on: December 30, 2007, 02:18:09 PM »

whiskeypreist --

I concur on the ending -- seemed straightforward to me, although I can understand that some viewers might have been disappointed.

As for those Mexicans in the pick-up truck, that's a possibility.  The truck they took off in looked somewhat familiar.  However, I was thinking they were just some guys staying or hanging out at the motel who high tailed it out of there once Chigurh starting shooting.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: