Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
May 21, 2018, 03:16:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 49559 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3570 on: February 15, 2008, 11:54:13 AM »

"Jbot, I don't know what your winter is like..."

We had a pretty good run of 70+ highs for a while, but it's gotten colder, but not so you'd need more than a sweater other than a few days in the 30's in Jan.

Word on escape from cold in NEB; We do the same in July/Aug and use their air conditioning.

Trying to get motivated for a TWBB matinee; but lazy indoor TV/Computer/Videogame seems like more fun.
Urethra_Franklin
Superhero Member

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3571 on: February 15, 2008, 01:43:44 PM »

TWBB was better the 2nd time, go see it

It's rare that a film running nearly 3 hours in length can grasp my attention the entire time

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3572 on: February 15, 2008, 02:02:42 PM »

Urethra doesn't mind the near-3 hours, but how does Bladder feel?

TWBB is one I keep considering, but my present film companion seems averse, and it takes some motivation for me to go by myself.  To the film, that is. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3573 on: February 15, 2008, 03:38:45 PM »

GOOD ONE, Barton.

Rest assured the main violence of this film takes place directly at the ending as the climax to the film account of the hero's life. Other than a well-deserved pistol whipping sans pistol that he gives to the False Prophet self-aggrandizing himself among the witless because DD-L can't take one more minute of this kid's pusilaneous self-importance at the expense of others including the kid's father whom young Dano beats up on just to show how religious he really is about honoring his father. That was the son to father violation that I truly found offensive.

And the reason that I brought it up is because oilcanboyd had wondered about something and I just want to let him know that I do too!

I mention the actor's name in this role because though he has apparently caught attention in a number of films which I had not gone to see(like you, I am sometimes not eager to be entirely "with it" to the extent enjoyed by some others. My time is shorter, you might say. I'm going to get in everything out of life that I always wanted to get done, while I'm at it,  you might say).  To the extent that I think this is the most disgustingly degenerate face I've seen on a young male actor, brazenly displaying that he is amused by what ever the rest of us are that he is not, that has come down the pike to become a "current face" in a long time!; and leaves me with a desire to probably not have to watch him do variations on a theme of himself from here on out.

So believe me, by the time that Daniel Day-Lewis clobbers the ingrate phony jerk with a bowling pin, if you've been with me so far,you are so disgusted with this creature displaying the recessive genes from an earlier self-centered stage of human evolution that you know you would have walloped him yourself if you'd been around.  Instead, the audience sits there in resolute stunned silence.

What you have to do is remind yourself that You are at a Movie! and the special effects guys are ingenious at conveying these details; otherwise they would have already been fired.

Okay, so I'll use the phrase,"to the extent" one more time, to declare once and for all that to the extent that I understand where the character enacted by Daniel Day-Lewis gets his virtues and concepts of honor and pragmatism about the effort it takes in this world to achieve anything by staying on the straight and narrow, by getting your act together and perfecting it to produce a yield, I respect his choices as his choices, not because it is due the individual but it used to be called in his day(and Sinclair Lewis was close enough to it),"the Code of the West".

Enuff said.

Except for: I made my report to jbottle immediately after viewing, that not once, despite the length of PTA's production(something, he seems to relish) did I have to excuse myself and fumble my way to the rest room
and thus ruin my sequential viewing of the plot. And if, at my age, I can do it, so can you.

By the way, as I also mentioned to jbottle, this is a sound track that has such a subliminal turn-on, you will know that you are in the hands of an accomplished trip-master.

Of course if your present film companion is an offspring of yours, you may have to think about this further; as it is one thing to let the young know that there are bad things in this world but, all in due course.

And yes, as somebawd has been undully bating me about stereotypical fatherhood or non stereotypical paternal responsibility for their own Dano-esque amusement, my impression is that the character played by Day-Lewis from first to last displays appropriate responses to the child in his care.

I was unaware until this morning when I filched the UK press release that he had lost his own father at the age of fifteen, and the emotional effect was such that when he had the opportunity to perform Hamlet to demonstrate his acting mettle, D D-L muffed it since he was so emotionally into character that he could not continue the performance and had to leave the stage. Never attempted the role again, of a son's loyalty to his father's memory. A lot of that sensitivity went into this role for There Will Be Blood; which gives new significance to that choice of words as the title.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 03:53:11 PM by madupont » Logged
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3574 on: February 15, 2008, 11:05:02 PM »

So, what about DDL in In The Name Of The Father then?

I also thought he did a fine job in My Left Foot, though I have no idea what his feelings are concerning any of his appendages.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3575 on: February 16, 2008, 02:24:10 AM »

He's no...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0101570/
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3576 on: February 16, 2008, 11:50:30 AM »

LOL -- "Service Animals 5: Sometimes a Great Motion" is among the titles that had me chuckling.

Watched Carlito's Way last night -- mos def a masterpiece that bears repeat viewing.   Possibly the most brilliant and deeply lyrical use of "bookending" in the history of the motion picture.  A film so finely wrought that I really don't want to diminish the experience by encapsulating parts of it in wordy analysis.

(Billyweeds is the party animal dancing with Steffie, right before she walks past the pool and pushes some guy in....)

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3577 on: February 16, 2008, 01:46:02 PM »

Yeah, I remember old Billy every time I see the movie and glad that you have come to appreciate it, too.  Only in the last couple of years I've come to regard it as a masterpiece, whether I never saw it in full or had had my fill of Pacino at the time of it's release (I suspect so), whatever, it was one where I had failed to appreciated the two bravura performances and a master (DePalma) unobtrusively weaving a great story together.  Did you note the scene at the beginning where Penn seems to momentarily lapse into perhaps and actually inebriated Sean Penn laughing at Pacino's story and not being able to "keep a straight face" and stay in character (even though his character would be laughing, too)?  Good moment.

Billy always looks like he is having fun doing that dance and I laugh every time even though he once accused me of being "anti-personal trainer."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3578 on: February 16, 2008, 03:01:16 PM »

nytempsperdu,re:#3596

In the Name of the Father (and the Son and the Holy Ghost, etc,etc.etc.)
Yes, that too, as I particularly liked the Father:Pete Postlethwaite

I'm rather fond of Irish actors, as I've done some Irish acting meself, Lady Gregory mostly. I had an Irish godmother; that helps. Visiting with her family of origin over the years taught me much. She had brothers with names like -- Byron, the family drunk.  Whereas Thomas was my fave and his sister Agnes who looked and behaved like Cloris Leachman.

I was far less smitten with My Left Fott, excuse me, Foot.
Nor wit seeing how he wanted to play a Paki, in his, rather than,  My Favorite Laundromat.  Isabel_k taught me how to be discriminating; you remember her don't you?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3579 on: February 16, 2008, 04:32:09 PM »

Afterthoughts on Carlito:

The cat-and-mouse chase in Grand Central station is one of the best on film -- I like it better than DePalma's other famous train station shootout, the ambush in Chicago in The Untouchables.  Both are good, but the greatness in C'sW lies in the stellar camera work which so absolutely shows us the zigs and zags, gives us angles that really put us vibrantly in the scene, and lets us see all the gears working (or grinding, in the case of the wheezing Behemoth Guy)  in the heads of both Carlito and his hunters.  It is so very real that a part of one's mind, even if one has seen the film before, is still breathless with suspense and a hope that somehow Carlito will evade the fatal lapse of attention at the end.  DePalma seems to achieve the Holy Grail of putting us in the moment, and he makes it look easy. 

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3580 on: February 16, 2008, 05:23:27 PM »

Well said, great sequence.  In contrast to the sweeping, graphic, audacious "Scarface," which is also of course brilliant, "Carlito's Way" "reads" more as a memoir or lament, and romance of sorts, it's a more tender film for sure, that delivers everything you want in a crime drama, great movie.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 05:27:45 PM by jbottle » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3581 on: February 17, 2008, 04:26:29 PM »

"Jumper" is having a nice little weekend, good news for Liman and Christensen; and for sci-fi, even if it cost too much to make and comes in at like 88 min. all was not lost and everybody lives to play again another day.  It's staring 20+ right in the face, which is pretty surprising given the reviews which uniformly said it sucked.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3582 on: February 18, 2008, 01:02:50 AM »

"Jumper" did 33M, welcome to the A- list HC, well done.

If they try to make you fuck Sandra Bullock as a ghost, you or her, don't do it.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3583 on: February 18, 2008, 07:46:08 AM »

jbottle,

Speaking of ghosts...   Have you heard much spin on Goya's Ghosts?

Javier Bardem of course looks awesome(I shouldn't say this but he's becoming the new  Gerard  Depardieu).   The leading lady is Natalie Portman whom the Grand Inquistion wishes to get their hands on. Bardem is their man, or their monk as the case may be; one can never quite be sure, as he has some snazzy wardrobe in this. But underneath the Napoleonic duds, he is really the Grand Inquisitor.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3584 on: February 18, 2008, 10:50:40 AM »

"The leading lady is Natalie Portman whom the Grand Inquistion wishes to get their hands on."

Me, too.  Will watch for that one.

GdT has one opening at the local arthouse, The Orphanage, speaking of ghosts.  Will try to get to this one, given previous efforts like Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone.

"Infamous" arrives tomorrow -- looking forward to Craig's take on the Kansas killer.

Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: