Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 20, 2018, 04:38:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 51500 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3600 on: February 20, 2008, 01:48:04 PM »

Bravo, Barton, for the review.  Now you've got to see this one, you know why.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/people,696,no-royal-dramas-for-johansson-and-portman-on-red-carpet,18057

Check out this video as well. Reviewers got it right,this is a "bodice ripper".  I could include pictures of that....

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/?filmID=854
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3601 on: February 20, 2008, 09:57:17 PM »

"...ragged claws..."

Depends on whether you are quoting Elliot or Brando, old bean.
peloux

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3602 on: February 21, 2008, 01:38:46 AM »

"...ragged claws..."

Depends on whether you are quoting Elliot or Brando, old bean.

Ah!

(you mean, er, Eliot  ... right? ... sorry)
Wink
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3603 on: February 21, 2008, 11:09:24 AM »

Dammit!  (I wasn't even sure about whether there was a difference between the movie lines in AN and "The Waste Land," er,  "The Wasteland.")
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3604 on: February 21, 2008, 11:47:35 AM »

Barton, have another present for you, have you seen this one(not the film;the news)?

Natalie Portman does Amos Oz

As, for example, Nathan Burstein reports in The Jerusalem Post, Portman to direct Oz adaptation in Hebrew, as:
The world's most famous Israeli-born actress is joining the ranks of Hollywood stars getting behind the camera, but with a major difference: she'll be doing it in Hebrew.

Natalie Portman reveals in the March issue of W magazine that she'll make her directorial debut with A Tale of Love and Darkness, bringing to the big screen Amos Oz's memoir about growing up in 1940s and Fifties Jerusalem. Portman told the fashion magazine that she plans to preserve the language of the memoir by directing the film in Hebrew.
       Interesting that the film's backer are willing to do it in Hebrew.
       We do rather enjoy watching Ms. Portman in front of the camera, and we're curious to see what she does behind it. But we are keeping our fingers crossed that she didn't learn anything from George Lucas, whose inability to deal with human actors made even her unwatchable in three 'Star Wars'-films.

[Sorry! but the link to the Jersulem Post was dead when I tried it from here; so,eraced the dead link.]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:51:03 AM by madupont » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3605 on: February 21, 2008, 12:39:42 PM »

I'm on a filtered PC today, which seems to be rejecting some of the above links.

Looks like Sigourney is back playing a tv producer again (if you haven't seen her yet in The TV Set, I urge you to do so) -- saw a clip from tomorrow's opener, Vantage Point, which looks to be banking on a weighty ensemble of A-listers.  At the risk of being tasteless, I think there's also a certain natural BO draw in any story where the POTUS gets shot.  And who better than William Hurt, eh?

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3606 on: February 22, 2008, 02:15:33 PM »

Hurt Billy?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3607 on: February 22, 2008, 03:44:44 PM »

Hey, have you guys seen Tobseys new feature on the ONION, yeah, it has to do with THE NEW "MIDNIGHT MOVIE" IE the "SHITTY MOVIE" or another reason for THE ONION to champion ideas that are counterculture "sure's," not that they shouldn't have a market, love the ONION, but Tobes is getting ready to pick on "Morvern Caller," which admittedly, is not the best Spring Break movie ever made, but shouldn't be put in the "Weirdo Bin" just because they didn't get all the plot points right.  Don't kill the fraternity guy in the first scene...seriously, Europe, don't do that.  It's one of those if you can teach a man to fish try taking a Latvian on Spring Break, you end up dancing the night away, about architecture.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3608 on: February 22, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »

And "Donnie Darko" sucks.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3609 on: February 22, 2008, 03:53:28 PM »

I figured I just didn't get it (Donnie Darko).  Have meant to watch it 15 or so more times to decipher, but never got around to that.  Or were you just playing around?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3610 on: February 22, 2008, 05:09:18 PM »

No, I never got it either, but that makes me somebody that doesn't "get" DONNIE DARKO, I feel confident enough just to say "it sucks," but then what does Tobes do but post a clip from the film ("Head Over Heels," in semi-jest??)that makes you go, yeah, that sequence, yeah, but then when I was in high school it was the South and it wasn't all cool to show up with TEARS FOR FEARS HAIR, no, jokes, but nothing about the movie grabbed me the first time around, but I (sorta) get the idea that the movie was pushed on geeks so hard from start to finish that it's probably the first internet movie to be PRETENDED TO BE a "CULT CLASSIC."

You know, that is CLASSIC.  Way to go, ONION, you just knocked the lid off NOOKIE.

http://www.avclub.com/content/home
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3611 on: February 22, 2008, 05:37:40 PM »

But having said all that, "Morvern Callar" was a resonably NICE TRY EUROPE version of the SPRING BREAK MOVIE, suffused as it was with melancholy and remorse, seemingly chilly pool fun and weird hotelsex later, it shouldn't stick with you other than how to write a clunky EUROPEAN PLOT POINT around a SPRING BREAK MOVIE.  I appreciate that Tobias was in film studies at the University of Georgia, so, will be interested in his thoughts, as I was about Rabin's comments on O.C. & Stiggs, The Party Animal, etc., thank you gents for bringing an editorial spirt to what flies off the keyboard no prob.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3612 on: February 22, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »

The mere mention of Donnie Darko induces a strange fatigue in me.  Yeah, it is vastly overrated.  Actually, I was glad to see the guy do better in "Zodiac" because it assured me he could do more than look melancholy and Swedish -- no, that's NOT redundant.

I'll check out the Onion article.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3613 on: February 23, 2008, 01:46:09 PM »

Well, if Scott Tobias doesn't mention that MORVERN CALLER is considered a "shitty spring break movie," then I will take that as a personal affront and don't need attribution, but it would be nice to know that when he watched it the third time he had the posture of EUROPEAN SPRING BREAK MOVIE GONE WRONG.  Of course it's possible that I'm just dense enough not to recognize it as a way before it's time act of postmodern anarchy, maybe that is how twisted some of these EUROPEAN CATS are, even making the joke of, okay, America, here's the morose T & A scene just in case you still watch Cinemax to see if Europe took off its BLOUSE AGAIN.

So, yeah, I dunno.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3614 on: February 24, 2008, 01:41:47 PM »

Watched "Final Cut" -- in the future, a person can have a chip implanted in the head that records their entire life, video and audio.  Robin Williams is a video mortician, who edits lives down to a 1-2 hour feature that loved ones come to watch at a special service.  Myra Sorvino is the woman who loves him, for some reason -- he is obsessed with his work, and devoid of passion for his own actual life, but she seems able to overlook these flaws.  Anti-chip forces, who hold the devices to be immoral, want to buy an unedited life video from him which contains evidence of company malfeasance, and conflict ensues.

This might once have made a good Twilight Zone episode, running maybe 25 minutes tops, so the feel at 90 minutes is of something pretty thin which has been padded out with f/x and scenes that feel somehow superfluous.   Jim Caviezel, who should probably have been cast in the lead role (Williams'), plays an old colleague who has been turned by the Luddites, and provides what little spark this film manages to strike.

Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: