Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
February 18, 2018, 08:42:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 301
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 35114 times)
MrUtley3 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1920 on: September 13, 2007, 05:52:36 PM »

Also, kind of figured you were from the Crystal City area or familiar with it...

Does it show (smile)? You can take the boy out of the sticks...

An uncle of mine was active in LULAC as far back as the 50s. Don't know if they mingled much with La Raza, though.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1921 on: September 13, 2007, 08:16:49 PM »

harrie, got a copy of The Hollywood Reporter? I bet this is not out of turn around. But I don't bet much, literally p'nuts.

madupont,
Ummm, no.  But I checked it out, and are you referring to the Cillian Murphy bit? (http://tinyurl.com/28bpe2)  If so, thanks for the heads up -- I hope he doesn't get overexposed.  If not, then what did I mss?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1922 on: September 13, 2007, 08:24:51 PM »

The bottle, harrie, aww, you missed me.  Happy New Year, sweet thing.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1923 on: September 13, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »

Ups to Jodie Foster for making the riotgrrl version of "Death Sentence" with her expectedly more nuanced revenge thriller "The Brave One." 

I'm just curious to see how you Neil Jordan a Deathwish movie.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1924 on: September 13, 2007, 08:48:23 PM »

Now all we need is for John Carpenter to step in and let Angela Bassett start blasting freaks.  Shit I might pay gate to see that one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228333/

Would you settle for Pam Grier, Henstridge and Cubesie?
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1925 on: September 13, 2007, 08:59:43 PM »

Happy New Year, sweet thing.

Sweet call, too, by Harrie (or whoever it was) re: "Cutter's Way".  It's in myqueue but it came on one of the movie channels last night and I saw the first 10 minutes - Wow.  Cutter's drunken-depressed lady friend (Lisa Eichhorn) is amazing.  And good call also by whoever noted the whole ancestor-of-"The Big Lebowski" or precursor or whatever.  I

I only saw up until Cutter gets home from the bar the next day, but already it was like wow, John Heard, etc.   He was probably still in divorce proceedings with Margot Kidder when they were shooting that.  Anyways, it's not like, "John Heard, who knew?" because you already know he's great but I never would have imagined him doing this.

How is it that I never even heard of this movie?  At the time, I guess I was just too distracted by "Raiders of the Lost Ark", but still, I've never come across it on TV or anything until the other day. 

It should be here in a few days so if it turns out to be another "Ravenous" I suppose I'll report back as soon as it's done.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1926 on: September 13, 2007, 09:18:48 PM »

No, it's pretty darned good and I can't remember the reason for Bridges being so loyal to Heard, but he, in a perfect hardscrabble way, is, and it's a really good movie. 

BTW, the Bush speech about what has happened is more fun if, after every sentence, you go:  Huh, REALLY??

I have a great new high concept for a movie called "Barell of Monkeys," but after "Sunshine" I'm reluctant to reveal the clever plot elements here.  Not that I'm paranoid, far from it, but I am world-wise, and I have people on the internets and copywright lawyers working round the clock, so all you back off of the "I Bash Harold" concept," quick, before I change my mind...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1927 on: September 13, 2007, 09:49:35 PM »

Senor bottle, you are in rare form tonight.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1928 on: September 13, 2007, 10:21:31 PM »

Or ordinary form, depending on your perspective.

Ok, teaser, we open we are on a cruise ship that looks very ADVANCED and there's something curious about the STAFF, and we find out that the year is 2038, and we assume that this is a pleasure cruise set in the future, and then we hear military drums and we see as people are lured/torn in cross-cutting from their co-bon vivants to a secret chamber deep in the ship, and then, after we see that they've all been put in place and the McGuffin revealed, the SERVER from earlier is confronted by the CAPTAIN FROM EARLIER, who takes off his CAPTAIN's HAT, and they BOTH LAUGH, and the former captain says, you should go sir, and extends the CAPTAIN'S HAT, and the CAPTAIN says, putting on his hat, as we draw away, "No, you?"  "Cigar?"  "No, I don't smoke."  "That's too bad..."

[CREDITS, OPENING]

"Barell of Monkeys"

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1929 on: September 13, 2007, 10:59:06 PM »

And for madupont (or anyone who's interested), here's an update on the Dylan flick coming out this November.   http://movies.msn.com/movies/TIFF07/dispatch4?gt1=7701 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1930 on: September 13, 2007, 11:21:03 PM »

OK, the idea is that in the future the government runs all transportation, and a supposedly-wealthy run of fun cruise folks have already been genetically pre-selected for survival, the idea being that from a cruise ship you have the 5 min. advantage to fire a team of five men and five women, selected some, pre, some inentionally not, and fire a nuclear submarine "ARROW" into the sea floor, to preserve genetic material, etc.  So one guy wakes up and says, "Fuck all, where did my martini go??," etc.  And they SLOWLY FIGURE IT OUT.

Why not just preserve genetic material and create people from a couple of scientists you preserve, that was an idea, and they died, who is left around to screw if you kill all the scientists in a bad LOVE TORPEDO.

Oh, and they are cryrogenically frozen like ALIEN for a couple hundred years so that everybody they know and cats and dogs are LONG DEAD.

So, are they the only ones.  How do we get to the surface.  Who is the android, who is the mole?

It's basically MOONRAKER ON A SMALL NUCLEAR SUB.

Plot point at the end of ACT II, and spoiler:  You live in a NUCLEAR MISSILE, and all that HAL STUFF...

Basically it's Wargames meets Submerged meets Boat Trip meets Deep Star Six meets Logan's Run meets Beerfest.

I don't think we'll get a PG-13, but that's only because we want 11-yr. olds to watch it on Cinemax 4 instead of COCAINE ISLAND or whatever those bouncy boob channels are...not that in, what was it Paul Simon said, I took some comfort there, but I digress...

...I am pitching to the void...

only because I remain...

Truly yours,

the bottle
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1931 on: September 13, 2007, 11:24:02 PM »

"Barrel of Monkeys," Summer 2010.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1932 on: September 14, 2007, 01:20:10 AM »

The next sink may be the one I puke in...

...I am pitching to the void...

The problem is that I'm not straight...

We're in the service of the queen Harold...

Definition of insanity?
We have a weiner.

May I make a little suggestion, jbottle?

If you've got to puke, dish gays or void out somewhere...

Then do it over in the Gay Rights forum...

And not in the new Movie Club.

It hasn't been up a day yet...

And you've tried to queer it already.

Couldn't wait could you, little jbottle boy...

Like the proverbial skunk at the picnic...

Homophobes like you are dime-a-dozen...

Just like skanky whores...

The internet is full of losers...

And you're one of them, baby.

You're on Ingore now, have fun...

Playing with yourself...

& Detective_Winslow.  Smiley

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1933 on: September 14, 2007, 07:00:12 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWv53OJ-ydI
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1934 on: September 14, 2007, 11:24:32 AM »

Oilcan, I've got Cutter in my queue, too, and look forward to a chat when all relevant parties have watched it.

The film club seems a bit turbulent but might get focused when a particular film is chosen.  The only difficulty I foresee with choosing a film that everyone has seen is that time dulls memory, i.e. unless we've all seen it recently, there won't be as sharp a discussion.  Sounds like it's more a matter of picking a film, watching it, then discussing.  Doesn't mean it can't be an old classic (and they have the advantage that they are easier for everyone to obtain quickly -- or many may already own a copy).

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 301
  Print  

Jump to: