Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 20, 2018, 11:37:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 51487 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2250 on: October 20, 2007, 02:39:22 AM »

Yeah, Raul Julia was one of those guys where, oh, Kurt Russell, sure, man, hey, where is Hopmo (Anthony Hopkins), where you were just like jealous that that guy had the key to the city...

...I just watched almost all of the Z and I have to say if Downey, jr...doesn't get a nod, then the whole thing is fucky.  He's drunk, smart and spots Gyllenzy, yeah, I get it, but he is really, really good in every scene, he's playing an alcoholic, and it comes from experience, but then, I don't guess you can pretend to be what you are any easier than phoning it in...

...but why would you when the director abandons tricks for storytelling, note, I like auteurism, but I also like if you shoot a movie like it's a moviemovie, and make the hard point on time...which is why I haven't seen the whole thing, which I will tonight, look, I'm going to reassert my loyalty in fancy words sometiome soon, but it's nice to be with you, prob this morning rather than night, but anyway, respeK.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2251 on: October 20, 2007, 02:48:11 AM »

That babble was me saying that I like that Lynch abandoned imagination in favor of fact due to the subject matter, he didn't have to after all, but it was smart nonetheless...big fan...and huge fan of "Fight Club," for, God bless them all who survive, will have the opp to consider in college.  I liked how Dave made a studio film with traditional set-ups, etc., I'm not a pro, but you have to say, cool, man, no reason to swing for the fence when something that happened needed to be meticulously documented, way to rock that frame on the partic gig, clock it.  Respek.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2252 on: October 20, 2007, 11:35:08 AM »

Jbot, I thought Downey nailed his journalist-in-decline and should def be considered for a supporting oscar.  And Gyllen plays the earnest boy scout nicely, but I thought he owed too much to the power hitters in the film like Downey and Ruffalo to really be up in the Oscar zone.

Re Lynch, I didn't quite follow the segue between your postings...do you mean John Carroll Lynch, who played Leigh in Zodiac?  Or did you jump the rails to a David Lynch thread there?  Wait, you said "Dave" later...ok...hmm, so you were watching both Zodiac and Inland Empire?  OK, now I'm confused.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2253 on: October 20, 2007, 06:34:13 PM »

"Fincher" for "Lynch," my only confusion being the name I was typing, happy that DFINCH could shoot a police drama and get out of the way an not be burdened with the visual challenge of "Fight Club," nailed it, or "The Shining," depends on who you ask, but directorial direction needed in both cases, anyway, I like that he was able to step away from a film that wasn't the biggest film he ever made and try to do too much.  Good storyteller, which is what it is supposed to be.  I like it when guys with more money than sense tell you about how they got money by having sense, and by getting out of the way, and I mean Fincher, he seemed in service of the greater good. 

Also:  The movie was very YELLOW.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2254 on: October 20, 2007, 07:35:12 PM »

Charming conversationalist, isn't he?

effusive bullshit for several moons now

piss on it

I'm your boy.

Anyway, I plan very soon to get hammered...

the whole thing is fucky.  He's drunk...

What, validate you by "fuck you"...sure.

…sick fuck,

That babble was me...

my only confusion being the name I was typing,

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2255 on: October 21, 2007, 02:10:29 AM »

Watched Sleepy Hollow the other night.  Definitely not a movie for little kids but our little one laughed at all the decapitations.  Although she got very scared when the Horseman came after Katrina Van Tassel.  Kind of like Michael Myers meets the Headless the Horseman.

I didn't see much of Washington Irving's story in this movie.  As I remember, Ichabod Crane was a gangly schoolteacher, not a handsome forensics expert.  Anyway, the movie was entertaining, if a bit too violent for family fare.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 02:15:05 AM by Dzimas » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2256 on: October 21, 2007, 12:11:29 PM »

I am rather surprised in the competitive interest with Movies and Movie Club that no one caught TCM the other night --which was a night of Tod Browning, the original purveyor of  Dracula.

They chose instead to show, Mark of the Vampire, I  had to turn it down however because of the incessant shrieking, which simply reminded me that in those days, early Thirties, they hired actresses in particular for their screaming ability to fill these parts. It was annoying The Cat, who preferred to sleep through it; as I'd seen it before at some point early in my life, and remembered the various scenes, I wasn't surprised that she wasn't too interested, the people nuances were just too boring for  her. Jean Hersholt is there of course; in a pompador hair-style which was most effected but that was the point. This kind of stuff does not interest a feline. Also Lionel, the obnoxious Barrymore; although it is a contest between the big three,John,Ethel, and John, for first place; he performed in a simpering voice, obsequious and affected.  This too does not interest a cat. We turned  way down before the arrival of Lugosi.

This film is otherwise known as Vampires of Prague.

However, when Tod Browning's,Freeks was the next feature, Kiki perked right up, rushed into the more comfortable viewing room (she likes to observe television pretty much at a direct level of vision)and jumped on the bed, because this is by far Browning's  "piece de resistance" and believe me if you were not born in the Thirties this has to be a wicked surprise.

Especially for those of you who have no idea where latter-day director Lynch got his ideas or whence the source of his interests.  There is a wonderful couple in this film, playing Hans and Frieda, who are German and I have to suppose that they got away just in time. The scene is a typical German traveling circus road show (or, carnival) with various European artists. This genre was later cleaned up to be taken in a more poetic German language direction of philsophical metaphysics by Wim Wenders  and starring Bruno Ganz.

Kiki, the cat, stayed up and enjoyed every minute of it and was well into the third Browning, The Devil Doll, which you've got to admit would be intriguing to a cat, while I crashed for a big day.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2257 on: October 21, 2007, 12:50:43 PM »

Olga Baclanova

Three Sinners (1928)

Maddy... please see Movie Club for more clips...

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2258 on: October 22, 2007, 10:41:04 AM »

Just watched....

"The TV Set" -- sharp funny satire of how tv pilots get made. For me, one of those films you will go back and watch every so often, and laugh every time. Sigourney Weaver is scary/funny, the intimidatingly clueless and philistine network manager who sees to it that poor director Mike Stein's (Duchovny) creation is drained of most of its wit and originality so as to ensure that test audiences giggle a lot and feel good and are carefully shielded from bummers.

Howlingly funny, perfectly cast....wondrous.

I don't know why this film (2007) hasn't gotten more attention.

martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2259 on: October 22, 2007, 10:45:18 AM »

Yesterday evening I watched Mulholland Dr. because you people were speaking about it.I think I´ll have to watch it again and take down notes. I understood some of it but I missed the general idea.The sentence "everything is an illusion" is ,I suppose, the clue.The two blond girls were so similar they drove me nuts.
Is there any good link to David Lynch? I found like 9 million,but which are good.Thank you for any help.I had watched Twin Peaks and I feel that he is like a magic babushka box one has to open and marvels come out.   
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2260 on: October 22, 2007, 11:01:38 AM »

"Gone Baby Gone" was pretty good, even though the plot was kind of ridiculous.  The trashy mom was very convincing, and her trashy friend was even more so.

But the highlight of the evening was the previews... yes, we have a "No Country For Old Men" preview sighting.   I watched a "NCFOM" preview on the internet, but the one I saw on the big screen was a little different, and it goes without saying, much more impressive. 
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2261 on: October 22, 2007, 11:10:32 AM »

The theaters are offering pretty good choices this year.  I plan to see Gone Baby Gone, as well as Michael Clayton and The Darjeeling Limited, which are all on screens here this week.  I've heard a couple comments elsewhere that GBG is a little too neat or something in its plot, but I'll reserve judgment until I see it.

Oilcan, you would love "The TV Set," I think.  I mean, you never know, but I suspect you would.

Finally, as one whose family moved to Boston (for 3 years) in 1967, and helped me bond for life with the Sox, I can only say, "woohoo!"  I know this isn't the kind of fine-grained analysis that they look for over in the Sports forums, so I'll just tuck it into off-topic asides and nonsequiturs elsewhere.  I look forward to a Rockies/Sox duel, given how both teams can manifest such a formidable defense.

Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2262 on: October 22, 2007, 11:17:15 AM »

Yesterday evening I watched Mulholland Dr. because you people were speaking about it.I think I´ll have to watch it again and take down notes. I understood some of it but I missed the general idea.The sentence "everything is an illusion" is ,I suppose, the clue.The two blond girls were so similar they drove me nuts.
Is there any good link to David Lynch? I found like 9 million,but which are good.Thank you for any help.I had watched Twin Peaks and I feel that he is like a magic babushka box one has to open and marvels come out.   

This site it pretty good.

http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2263 on: October 22, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »

I need to add, for Harrie's benefit, that "The TV Set" also features M.C. GAINEY as a rather long-suffering dir. of photography. 

For those of you who haven't discovered the wonders of M.C. Gainey, he is that uniquely talented screen presence who so often is cast as a sociopathic and menacing yokel of one kind or another, and was one of the more unsavory "Others" on the tv series, Lost.  Some may remember him as the nasty henchman to J.T. Walsh in "Breakdown."

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2264 on: October 22, 2007, 01:14:38 PM »

For those of you who haven't discovered the wonders of M.C. Gainey, he is that uniquely talented screen presence who so often is cast as a sociopathic and menacing yokel of one kind or another... 

They went with a "casting-against-type" joke in "Beerfest", with Gainey playing a priest.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: