Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 28, 2017, 01:50:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 952
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 582699 times)
oilcanbodacious

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14205 on: January 09, 2017, 11:52:35 AM »

It's worth quoting here:

Thank you, Hollywood Foreign Press. Just to pick up on what Hugh Laurie said: You and all of us in this room really belong to the most vilified segments in American society right now. Think about it: Hollywood, foreigners and the press.

But who are we, and what is Hollywood anyway? It’s just a bunch of people from other places. I was born and raised and educated in the public schools of New Jersey. Viola was born in a sharecropper’s cabin in South Carolina, came up in Central Falls, Rhode Island; Sarah Paulson was born in Florida, raised by a single mom in Brooklyn. Sarah Jessica Parker was one of seven or eight kids in Ohio. Amy Adams was born in Vicenza, Italy. And Natalie Portman was born in Jerusalem. Where are their birth certificates? And the beautiful Ruth Negga was born in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, raised in London — no, in Ireland I do believe, and she’s here nominated for playing a girl in small-town Virginia.

Ryan Gosling, like all of the nicest people, is Canadian, and Dev Patel was born in Kenya, raised in London, and is here playing an Indian raised in Tasmania. So Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners. And if we kick them all out you’ll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.

They gave me three seconds to say this, so: An actor’s only job is to enter the lives of people who are different from us, and let you feel what that feels like. And there were many, many, many powerful performances this year that did exactly that. Breathtaking, compassionate work.

But there was one performance this year that stunned me. It sank its hooks in my heart. Not because it was good; there was nothing good about it. But it was effective and it did its job. It made its intended audience laugh, and show their teeth. It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter. Someone he outranked in privilege, power and the capacity to fight back. It kind of broke my heart when I saw it, and I still can’t get it out of my head, because it wasn’t in a movie. It was real life. And this instinct to humiliate, when it’s modeled by someone in the public platform, by someone powerful, it filters down into everybody’s life, because it kinda gives permission for other people to do the same thing. Disrespect invites disrespect, violence incites violence. And when the powerful use their position to bully others we all lose. O.K., go on with it.

O.K., this brings me to the press. We need the principled press to hold power to account, to call him on the carpet for every outrage. That’s why our founders enshrined the press and its freedoms in the Constitution. So I only ask the famously well-heeled Hollywood Foreign Press and all of us in our community to join me in supporting the Committee to Protect Journalists, because we’re gonna need them going forward, and they’ll need us to safeguard the truth.

One more thing: Once, when I was standing around on the set one day, whining about something — you know we were gonna work through supper or the long hours or whatever, Tommy Lee Jones said to me, “Isn’t it such a privilege, Meryl, just to be an actor?” Yeah, it is, and we have to remind each other of the privilege and the responsibility of the act of empathy. We should all be proud of the work Hollywood honors here tonight.

As my friend, the dear departed Princess Leia, said to me once, take your broken heart, make it into art.
pigday31
Superhero Member

Satisfy me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14206 on: January 09, 2017, 05:55:59 PM »

Nailed it

I've sipped the finest brandy
Smelled the sweetest perfume
I kissed the softest lips
But even they wouldn't do
I drove the Autobahn
In a Coupe de Ville
Climbed Kilimanjaro
It was just a hill
bartonvacation
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14207 on: January 10, 2017, 11:35:49 AM »

I had a similar reaction to that Trump moment -- to me, it seemed like his Martin-Sheen-in-The-Dead-Zone moment, when all the world could see the wrongness, when his numbers would plummet and he would be out of the race.  Shamed, pilloried, gone.  But no.  I hope Meryl takes those moments and keeps making good art. 

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save its species. I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14208 on: January 13, 2017, 01:24:05 AM »

That was hollywood terrible
bartonvacation
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14209 on: January 13, 2017, 01:06:18 PM »

How so? 

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save its species. I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14210 on: January 13, 2017, 10:14:13 PM »

It's why I shouldn't watch msnbc, they preach to converted, and sanctimonious hollywood cheeky "it's obvious that trump is a racist genophobic misogynist serial adulterer sexual assailant shit is right on, but nobody cares, and they don't want to hear it from meryl streep.

Maybe don't cozy to a shitty candidate next time, I'm sick of it, shit eating grins all over their faces.

Face reality, bitches, you played yourself.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14211 on: January 13, 2017, 10:18:13 PM »

I have never been moved by a meryl street performance and that one sounded like what if a tree fell in the forest...the world is a big angry and cruel place, and she got president she deserved, just like everybody else.  She should fucking own it, not moan it, $$$ liberal.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14212 on: January 13, 2017, 10:18:32 PM »

Fuck her.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14213 on: January 14, 2017, 12:34:51 AM »

Love over fear, peace in our time.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14214 on: January 14, 2017, 08:38:15 PM »

What is the only thing worse than Friday the 13th?

Saturday the 14th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8WIdpIsBnw

Salute,

Tony V.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14215 on: January 15, 2017, 04:28:54 AM »

What is the only thing worse than Friday the 13th?

This month? Friday the 20th.

Jeff, you know if someone came in here, they wouldn't believe what they'd see? You and me with long faces plunged into despair because we find out a man didn't kill his wife. We're two of the most frightening ghouls I've ever known.
bartonvacation
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14216 on: January 15, 2017, 09:51:09 AM »

(rimshot)

I am predicting this will go viral on the net.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14217 on: January 15, 2017, 11:14:39 PM »

Barton: Sorry about the diatribe or whatever on the globes, I am just so frustrated by the the outcome of the election, that the last thing I want to hear is a hollywood liberal saying everything I've been thinking, but after its too late.  It seemed self-serving to me, but it's only out of disappoint in the Clinton's that makes me so angry.  Hollywood can't admit it backed a loser anymore than the GOP can admit it's lost control.  Both sides should blame themeselves, not Trump, he's just a byproduct of alienation, anger, and weird times, but my vitriol, as inarticulate as it was, shouldn't have been been and wasn't intended to be aimed a t you personally, it was an I'm mad as hell, you know the rest, just so we are square, because we're from the same "circle."
bartonvacation
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14218 on: January 16, 2017, 10:05:27 AM »

Jbot, it's cool and I didn't take it as anything but venting.  I've been mostly AFK past couple days, so was slow to reply, but I was not dismissing anyone's rage.  It's very hard to watch the Dems so alienate their traditional base that said base lets itself be beguiled by a con artist.   I hope you stop by the White House thread, too. 

Is there an alternate universe where Biden's son didn't die?  In that one, I imagine him deciding to run in 2016 and cleaning Trump's clock. 

bartonvacation
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14219 on: January 16, 2017, 03:45:52 PM »

I also get the sense that, as Bill Maher noted, that Streep is another case of liberals talking only to other liberals.  That's fine, but we really need venues where people can talk across the divide.  I am so tired of the way party politics has become like soccer fandom, where identity is so defined by a party affiliation and navel-gazing, where you wave the foam finger and paint devil horns on the other "team."   I can barely remember a time, I was pretty young, when most people just put actual humans before ideology.  Before electronic cocooning,  when people walked around and looked at each other.  Some cities are trying to restore that, but it doesn't help rural people get in the conversation.   

Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 952
  Print  

Jump to: