Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
October 21, 2017, 02:29:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296]
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 29699 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4425 on: June 21, 2008, 09:57:42 PM »

MM's latest looks to be his "Pluto Nash" if not as badly mis-calculated, that is, and as a rule of 2's w/the Zohan (I know about the Zionist or whatever "subtext" or plot points and know that Deepak Chopra and his bullshit have nothing to do with the plot points in Zohan), because both are dim faker characters with dick jokes, and looks like Sandler won because his is a hit and TLG will struggle to $20 not even paying MM's supposed take on the purportedly quick back end which will never occur.  TLG will never make money until the year 2019 on break-even adjusting for inflation, so compare that with what any dough would make over the same time period in a money-market fund or CD or Google, and imagine how much of a financial black hole MM's new film is...

...and the reviews (that I read) state that MM has a funny mannerism playing the Guru, of laughing at his own jokes (that he is supposed to be unwittingly making or selling as a con man, you know, in character), while even his co-stars (the Onion, I believe) appear to recoil at in subtle horror.

I don't know how the Rule of 2's idea of Zohan vs. Guru (oh no, AvP worked, slate it for 2010??) missed me for so long, and I'm welcome to be corrected if I'm missing something spiritual or not, but when you have a commercial of 2 SNL vets playing quasi-spiritual entities in competing comedies within weeks of each other, do we really need a theologist to explain to me why the comparison is not apt??

It doesn't take Jack Warner to say WHERE IS MY QUASI-SPIRITUAL CHICKEN SOUP OF THE GO F*CK YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T GET THE SCRIPT TO ME YESERAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH...

The only thing that kind of bothers me is that you normally don't see comedies in the RoT gallery of fame.  Disaster sure, drama, horror, oh yeah, but comparing Sandler to Myers, and I happen to have a relative affection for Sandler because he at least seems humble whereas Myers seems like "I have so much money that you don't matter...," even if he's that way too, they're just not the same person.  But I would rather figure out who is on the bad end of Costner/Gere or Ryder/Theron or Basinger/Ryder or Sheen/Will Smith (well, okay, yeah).....but this RoT seems unworthy of mention except for I got fascinated with the idea.

I think you could really divide people on the basis of "What would you rather see right now:  "Deep Impact" or "Armageddon"?? and put them on a clock in soundproof rooms;  "Fu[king "Volcano" or "Dante's Peak"?? quick mother-fu*ker, quick, quick (this is a sadistic Showtime game show, cable)."

TLG did 7 on Fri., and I'm happy about that.

Note:  "The Strangers" is the counter-punch winner of the summer so far on it's way to $80M, that's where the margins are.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:04:08 PM by jbottle » Logged
JakeJoliet
Superhero Member

John, Matthew

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4426 on: June 22, 2008, 02:25:57 AM »

Took the boys to see "The Hulk" this weekend, and as much as I love Ang Lee, this was no Ang Lee.

Thanks God.

Kind of rough seeing Mr. Accidental Tourist play a cartoon character, but well worth seeing Ed Norton (maybe one of our best?  Is that saying too much?) go at the whole "they want to make IT (him) a weapon!" bee-ess, with conviction and "Fight Club" panache.    Sad to see the young Walk this Way scion retreating to Club Botox this early, but gosh I'll always love Arwen, nonetheless.

They snuck Robo Downey Jr. in there at the end.  Marvel is planning something big.   Maybe time to buy the stock, even.

Son, y'all gotta do bettern' this.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4427 on: June 22, 2008, 11:36:17 AM »

Dzimas,

Window to Paris
Okno v Parizh

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110719/

Looks like you came up with the exact move; unless they are in the habit of our custom of parceling out film themes to several directors as a sort of audition to see what they make of it?

THIS IS REALLY A VERY EXCITING AND ENCHANTING FILM  SIMILAR TO THOSE EXCEPTIONAL BOOKS FOR CHILDREN. WHILE SPINNING A FANTASY, PROVIDES A LOOK AT A REAL PLACE.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4428 on: June 22, 2008, 11:40:03 AM »

"Speed Racer" is 2008's biggest bomb to date, I guess?  What are the top 5? 

I guess "The Happening" is TBD at this point, but it doesn't seem to have much staying power so it could be a candidate.  "Leatherheads", maybe?  "Semi-Pro"?  "88 Minutes"? "War Inc."?

I wonder what the budget was on "The Hottie and the Nottie"?  bomojo.com says its YTD gross is $1.5MM.

BTW, how do you get the guy from a crappy HBO show to not worry about appearing to be "slumming", find a clean t-shirt and go with you to the "The Hottie and the Nottie" premiere? First you get a bunch of X, apparently... http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3086784000/tt0804492

Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4429 on: June 22, 2008, 12:26:11 PM »

Looks like you came up with the exact move; unless they are in the habit of our custom of parceling out film themes to several directors as a sort of audition to see what they make of it?

It comes up quite often on Russian TV, maddie.  I don't know how many times I've seen all or part of it.  It is a very fun movie with a unique view on Paris.  The pretty Parisienne takes it pretty hard in the movie but she manages to find her way home in the end.  Petersburg wasn't a very friendly city back in the early 90s.  You should check out some of the Balabonov movies like Brother (Brat).  Pretty harsh, but gripping as well.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4430 on: June 22, 2008, 09:59:47 PM »

"Maybe time to buy the stock, even."

Yes, but you missed the initial move, so wait, you know that the shorts are selling on the good news just like a drug pipeline, Marvel seems to be able to trot out "Iron Man" and "Hulk" and make $200M picture after picture, they did it with X-Men and nobody noticed, now that they did notice, the smarter play would be to buy Disney on value and short MVL.

I'm not a financial adviser and the above is opinion and not financial advice.

But seriously, if you want a stock "tip," go to yahoo/finance and look at AT&T, down on the general down but toward future earnings and a 4.5% dividend for a stock that will hit 50 in 2 years, that's the way to play.

You definitely don't want to buy MVL, not now, if they get killed by the shorts, sure, but can you wait until IM2 in 2010??  What happens other than everything else in the meantime?

If MVL pulls back to 27 or so on cynicism, you could trade it, but there are no good entertainment plays that work in this environment.  I suggest Gamestop on a pullback or Activision or ERTS.

Play video games with a pipeline, not spec and maybe not DIS who overpay execs.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4431 on: June 24, 2008, 10:39:02 AM »

Saw "Get Smart" this weekend and found it a reasonable updating which captured the goofy and slapstick spirit of the original tv series pretty well.   All the series catchphrases, which people my age adopted in order to endlessly annoy our parents and other adults, are present and accounted for.  Bill Murray's tree cameo was rather touching.

Basically one of those "a stupid movie, but it made me laugh" situations.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4432 on: June 24, 2008, 01:30:38 PM »

Just wanna' report I did not take Lemon Sky more than the first act going into two because it is fundamentally a play put on film rather than a film. (it is full of that stiff acting which is second rate on stage much less when done before the camera but maybe it reveals something about normal American people; that they are always imitating acting).

C'mon, I always knew that I didn't like Kevin Bacon, despite his six degrees of separation, but I don't like the rest of the cast in this film either. Lindsay Crouse, Boo! Kyra Sedgewick,bah! (yeah, I know which one you saw her in and it was really great....)

The only reason they bought this and put it on Sundance or HBO-(h?) whatever, they would make hours of view time to prove their existence by showing us Casey Affleck again. I didn't stay that long to even find out he was there.

I am now going to recommend that you look upon this with curiosity. It came in the Random House e-mail this morning and looks like this:

http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/classics/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780307269966
                               But it is about this:
http://www.bridesheadrevisited-themovie.com/

Personally nothing can ever upstage Jeremy Irons, and Laurence Olvier and Philip Roth's ex-wife as Lady Marchmain (and I loved Evelyn Waugh when I was just a mere kid).

However, I have to admit that I made a mistake and mistook Lord Howard's Castle in Yorkshire for Knole in Kent and thought that was LHC when I saw interior chapel, great lobby of the house, etc. and now I am disappointed although I did see a beautiful  side shot of the walled garden of the castle Knole where the Sackville family resides  and thought I was just seeing the Howard Castle from a different frontal perspective. My impression was that Knole was a sizable English town at one time in their history, given by Henry VIII(some say Elizabeth I ) to her cousin Thomas Sackville when he took it away from a Catholic. The story is much about that morality vs what? in Brideshead Revisisted. I must have the book around here someplace....
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4433 on: June 25, 2008, 09:31:57 AM »

So you found Vanilla Sky more to your taste than Lemon Sky?

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4434 on: September 27, 2017, 02:44:21 PM »

Brad's Status is very good stuff. See it.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4435 on: September 27, 2017, 09:54:30 PM »

Ignored, hilarious, what if a @sshole fell in the forest, lolol...
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4436 on: October 06, 2017, 03:08:29 PM »

Anne Wiazemsky, human star of one of my 10 favorite movies ever, has died at 70.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4437 on: October 07, 2017, 12:56:50 PM »

Anne Wiazemsky, human star of one of my 10 favorite movies ever, has died at 70.

Light a candle.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4438 on: October 17, 2017, 12:41:41 PM »

Blade Runner 2049 is a bit disappointing in that it doesn't stand on its own cinematic feet, both relying on knowledge of the first 1984 film, and hinting in an unsubtle way that another sequel will provide the epic scope that you might have thought, going in, that a nearly 3 hour movie would supply. Nor does it, for me anyway, manage to spackle over some logic holes that left me a bit puzzled. Don't want to get all spoilery yet, but may revisit the topic later. Basically, I found it hard to care much about the characters, due to performances that are either austere or just caricature (Jared Leto as the evil tycoon seemed straight out of a B movie or a comic book). No one can seem to do anything without portentous music or long disturbing pauses. No one ever says anything ordinary or makes a wisecrack. Perhaps it says something that the only character who generates much actual human warmth is a computer simulation hologram. And things don't go well for her.

Where is Uno, btw?  Can he not post anything if there's a chance it will "all go missing" ?  We're into the 4th week of the Old Backup, so I'm figuring this might be a longterm thing.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4439 on: October 20, 2017, 12:01:02 AM »

Wow, I was really into box office in '08.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296]
  Print  

Jump to: