Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
May 25, 2017, 02:45:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953]
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 588953 times)

Take Only As Directed

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14280 on: May 23, 2017, 11:04:23 AM »

Wow, Roger Moore was still alive! He passed at 89.

I think of him as the Adam West of the 007 franchise. Which is not a bad thing. I haven't really cared for a Bond film since. So maybe there have been better Bonds, but I liked Roger Moore as Bond.

Ripe old age, 89 is. He deserved a long life, didn't take himself too seriously (far as I know, I mean, it's not like I cared) and I never took the Bond books too seriously either. That the franchise went "Dark Knight" wasn't for me (or for the books). Far as I'm concerned, old Roger did alright.

Tightly Wound, Loosely Wrapped.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14281 on: May 23, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »

My favorite Bond was Lazenbee.

Madness!  Madness!

Take Only As Directed

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14282 on: May 23, 2017, 01:09:58 PM »

You're older than I.

Lots older.

Grin

bartonthehatches
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14283 on: May 23, 2017, 03:22:57 PM »

George Lazenby's nephew was my college dorm roommate.  Take this useless fact as thou wilt.  He was a fun guy.  Once I accidentally dropped a water balloon from the roof of the dorm onto his girlfriend.  His good-humored avenging was to sneak my bluejeans from my room while I was sleeping, soak them in water, freeze them solid in the freezer, and then present them to me the next morning as I was fumbling around to find them.  Stirred, but not shaken,  I wore a pair of dirty corduroys to class that morning. 

“There is no trap so deadly as the trap you set for yourself.”
-- Raymond Chandler, The Long Goodbye
Ut
Superhero Member

I'm a Fool to Care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14284 on: May 23, 2017, 06:36:02 PM »

Sean Connery was Bond. Better than smarmy Roger. But Daniel Craig is up there.

Forget the Pinot noir. Try the petite Syrah.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14285 on: May 23, 2017, 07:41:41 PM »

I was always lukewarm on Moore's Bond movies, but apparently he was an okay guy.  I didn't realize he was a UNICEF ambassador, and some guy tweeted a tale I'd like to believe is true.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:44:23 PM by harrie » Logged
Ut
Superhero Member

I'm a Fool to Care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14286 on: May 24, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »

The silent spaces in baseball used to be filled in by novelists and filmmakers. They supplied quick-witted, slang-driven repartee that felt both revelatory and reassuring for dugout conversations and meetings on the mound. The makers of films like 1989’s “Major League” and 1988’s “Eight Men Out” gave us the thoughts of the batters as they dug into the box, the catcher’s mantras and occasional trash talk, the umpire’s endless exasperation. And while all that may have been fantasy, it convinced you that what you couldn’t hear or see while watching a baseball game could be translated directly into cornfed American English.

Some mix of skyrocketing salaries, the steroid-era hangover and camera technology has rubbed away that implicit charm. Relatable baseball heroes are in retreat — and Hollywood seems to have lost interest in creating them. Over the past decade, there have been only four major studio baseball releases. Compare that with the late ’80s and early ’90s, when a handful of baseball movies came out nearly every year, including classics like “Bull Durham,” “Major League,” “Field of Dreams” and “A League of Their Own.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/magazine/where-did-the-great-hollywood-baseball-movie-go.html?smid=tw-nytmag&smtyp=cur&_r=1

The next great baseball movie could be written, but it would have to feature either a woman playing in MLB or an immigrant experience, in which ballplayers are exploited by big evil MLB.

The writer makes some good points about the visual landscape and its appearance as having baseball frozen in our minds, and not moving forward with the changes in our society.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:49:56 AM by Ut » Logged

Forget the Pinot noir. Try the petite Syrah.
bartonthehatches
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14287 on: May 24, 2017, 01:19:02 PM »

I was always lukewarm on Moore's Bond movies, but apparently he was an okay guy.  I didn't realize he was a UNICEF ambassador, and some guy tweeted a tale I'd like to believe is true.

Me, too.  Great story.  When I was 7 or 8, my Bond fan pals had me convinced that the actress who was painted gold in Goldfinger had died from "skin suffocation" on the set.  I don't care to say how many years passed before I learned that was total blarney. 

“There is no trap so deadly as the trap you set for yourself.”
-- Raymond Chandler, The Long Goodbye

Take Only As Directed

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14288 on: Today at 12:29:37 AM »

Wow! I just watched Wizard of Lies on HBO. Just... Wow!

Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953]
  Print  

Jump to: