login Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
August 19, 2017, 06:18:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 608954 times)
NYKnicks12
Superhero Member

I aim to misbehave.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14340 on: August 09, 2017, 11:16:18 PM »

Wait there were Opels in America, I only saw them in europe.

I always think of elephants (take that, George Lakoff!) when someone mentions Buick Opels because of their series of ads for the Kadett.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5KXY-ksYBsY

“He has reached a level of douchebaggery that will live on for generations, passed down by windtalkers and the like.”

--- Borrowed from Jimmy McGill
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14341 on: August 10, 2017, 01:03:31 AM »

Maybe I am thinking of a europe car brand.

Salt Grains Sold Separately

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14342 on: August 10, 2017, 09:50:01 AM »

Maybe I am thinking of a europe car brand.

Just like the Minis that they drove in the remake of the Italian Job, they were Fiats in the original (don't quote me on that, I'm only topicalizing) so too does it seem that Buick was just the cover name for the Offal (note correct spelling when translated directly from the original).

Buick is GM, right? American car makers made much cooler cars for the European markets. Remember the Mercury Merkur xr4ti? That was a sharp looking car (if you have an eye for Saabs).

Sort of the amazing thing is that the cars they made there that sold well there generally did not sell well here. And yet, European cars, well, German European cars, BMW, MB, VW and Volvo (not German) sold here. Lots of people tried hard to like Brit carz other than the Rolls but the Brits were too into "making do with what we have" and so they used surplus parts and reconfigured the the system around them. They were gawd awful!

Americans loved the VW Bug but hated the Citroen DCV (and it was a convertible.) It's like they say in the Grand Duchy of Fenwick, "Best thing that can happen to you is you lose a war with the Untied States!"

Maybe THAT's Kim Jung Un's plan!

That which doesn't kill me.
Will only make me stranger.
Barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14343 on: August 10, 2017, 10:11:01 AM »

When I lived in central France for a summer, mes amis et moi liked to joke the Citroen was mispelled with an unnecessary "e."  Citroen ---> citron (Fr. for lemon). 

"A fool and his money are soon elected." - Will Rogers
bankshot1
Superhero Member

Hoosier Daddy!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14344 on: August 10, 2017, 10:35:52 AM »

I hitch-hiked in Europe for a summer WBW (1970) and caught a few rides and for a marginal French speaker it was clear the locals were both fond of and ridiculed the Deux Chevaux

"If I were you I'd be pretty pissed, too, but I don't think anyone but you and I know what actually went up there on the board last weekend. I know I stepped over the line, and I did apologize, but I apologize again. It has bothered me all week, frankly, to know that I acted in such a manner"-Utley
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14345 on: August 10, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »

My friend ditched his Opel for a VW. Which he promptly flipped into a swamp trying to get away from the couple he had flashed with faked police lights as they were parked in a noted make out spot.

Which lead.to him calling his mom at 3 am: "Hello mom? I'm in the hospital, but I am all right! And the cops say they won't even charge me this time!"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:19:43 AM by whiskeypriest » Logged

And it is said that the Princess returned to her father's kingdom. That she reigned there with justice and a kind heart for many centuries. That she was loved by her people. And that she left behind small traces of her time on Earth, visible only to those who know where to look.

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14346 on: August 10, 2017, 12:50:46 PM »

When I lived in central France for a summer, mes amis et moi liked to joke the Citroen was mispelled with an unnecessary "e."  Citroen ---> citron (Fr. for lemon).  
That was what my old man said when he was in the market for a new car and I urged him to get a Citroen.

He bought a Chevy Impala! They should have called it the Quel Dommage, oofta!

Hey, didn't Burt Reynolds flip an SM in the beginning of The Longest Yard? (I've never caught the beginning of that movie even though I've seen the rest of it several times.)

Guy in my small town had an SM. Left it in gear one time and rolled it down a hill. Drove it through an orchard without raising it up and tore up the underside. We were horrified (we 14 year old selves). My buddy from then has a show quality SM now. Those cars are dyno! Headlights that are attached to the steering mechanism so they shine where you're going. The hydraulic system and the whole front wheels wider apart than the rear wheels (not to mention, they were way ahead with the placement of the rear lights at the top of the car so you could see them) joke all you want. Those cars were designed! They made the Edsel look Luddish by comparison (and the Edsel had a lot of cool innovations!)

So the thing as I understand it is that if you flip a full sized Citroen (with the varied wheel bases) they'll replace it. Because it is nigh on impossible (assuming you stay on the road) no matter how fast you take the hairpin turn.

(BTW, that's more than all I know about cars.)

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14347 on: August 10, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »

My friend ditched his Opel for a VW. Which he promptly flipped into a swamp trying to get away from the couple he had flashed with faked police lights as they were parked in a noted make out spot.

Which lead.to him calling his mom at 3 am: "Hello mom? I'm in the hospital, but I am all right! And the cops say they won't even charge me this time!"

Irony being that it was Dodges that usually had the "fake" police light. Although lots of time they were real because the cop cars were sold off when new ones came in.

Blues Brothers! Look, I made it topical again!

Barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14348 on: August 10, 2017, 09:50:58 PM »

Arg, you MF CS and your acronyms.  WTF is an "SM."  Stutz-Meerkat?  Suzuki Mountebank?  Sable Mercury?  Strativarius Metrognome? 

I know I'm going to be embarassed, as it turns out to be something obvious and that I've suffered a giant mental block.

Shit Mobile?

Sex Machine?

Super Mustang?

Please advise!

Barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14349 on: August 10, 2017, 09:54:56 PM »

OK, NM.  Googled "car burt flipped in the longest yard."

"The Citroën SM is a high-performance coupé produced by the French manufacturer Citroën from 1970 to 1975. The SM placed third in the 1971 European Car of the Year contest, trailing its stablemate Citroën GS...."

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14350 on: August 10, 2017, 10:35:27 PM »

Sorry, bout that. Yeah, Citroen Maserati! It has a Maserati motor (at least).

SOBs were made for the AutoBahn!

True story, I drove the autobahn. Before I ever got my license! (LSS) In Spain, Met girl, (Aside, buddy from above appeared two days earlier. I didn't know he was in Europe)3 went to Morocco. She/I. She went back to Switz (Interpol was looking for her! I shit you not!) I followed (wouldn't you? 18 years old you) Her husband has to pick up his car from the shop. Means he has to drive there. He says, "You come with me, and then you drive the VW back." I do think I told him that I don't have a license. I took drivers ed. For all I know he figured I knew how to drive his wife, so. There I am. Driving behind this guy who just picked his "Big car" from whatever the hell they were doing to it. And now he's on the autobahn, airing that baby OUT! I did NOT keep up. Which is great because I don't know where the Fuck I am! I showed up at his house like yesterday! And now I have to find my where there by map. Did I mention that I didn't drive at the time? (That's short.)

Maserati... In 1971 the only way you had ever heard of a Maserati was if you were a reader of one or more of the car magazines. Sports Car Magazines. Those pictures couldn't have been sexier to an early adolescent boy if the cars were draped over scantily clad women.

That They were going to put a Maserati engine in something that we Americans could actually one day put on the actual road! If we knew what hard was, that woulda worked.

Plus, in the movie Rug Rats Go To Paris Stew Pickles Drove a Citroen. Actually, it is the car of choice in all the Rug Rat Adventures that involve Stew Pickles and his Car. (Topical, cuz, Stew Pickles is a crazy inventor always with the ideas. Sometimes they even work! But he's a lovable geek with a hot wife. As far as role models go, he was pretty good. ) 

Barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14351 on: August 11, 2017, 01:48:18 PM »

Nice total immersion lesson in highway driving!  At 18, my knowledge of the Autobahn was (a) people could speed on it, and (b) there was a song on the radio called Autobahn that was even more tiresome than 99 Luftballoons if you heard it more than twice.  As for being 18 and following a woman anywhere, ah those were the days.  And a lot more ways to follow were acceptable and not labeled "stalking," which permitted a young person far more creativity in circumventing the laws of probability.  And permitted me to meet the mother of my 2 children. 

Hamilton the First
Superhero Member

"All the genius I know comes from hard work."--Me

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14352 on: August 11, 2017, 03:36:27 PM »

Nice total immersion lesson in highway driving!  At 18, my knowledge of the Autobahn was (a) people could speed on it, and (b) there was a song on the radio called Autobahn that was even more tiresome than 99 Luftballoons if you heard it more than twice.  As for being 18 and following a woman anywhere, ah those were the days.  And a lot more ways to follow were acceptable and not labeled "stalking," which permitted a young person far more creativity in circumventing the laws of probability.  And permitted me to meet the mother of my 2 children. 

And...uh...Did the kids meet you yet?

Grin

“Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---James Baldwin
Barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14353 on: August 11, 2017, 07:59:19 PM »

LOL! 

I set that line up perfectly, didn't I?  Heh.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14354 on: August 16, 2017, 11:36:31 AM »

Why do you have a piss test image below your name?  You on papers, dude?

What is the Skynard song that's playing in that first scene in "The Longest Yard," up for greatest first 5 minutes of any movie for sure, killing me, I think either "ooo that smell"??
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958
  Print  

Jump to: