Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
September 22, 2017, 11:55:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 613630 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14370 on: August 22, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »

Yes, like 97%, but it was very overcast, not just cloudy.  Some people saw thru the clouds but not me.
Superhero Member

Salt Grains Sold Separately

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14371 on: August 24, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »

Cloud Atlas anyone?

I've seen it once. Didn't have any expectation going in. Well, one, I thought Tom Cruise was going to be in it. So I didn't recognize all of the hankerins right away.

I'm not going to worry about spoilers, It's not what the movie is about anyway.

My first question is "why?" What in nature would result in this cross millennial romp? And then there is, do we know who is who? does it often matter? and why if Tom Hanks is neither is he instrumental in the story and yet in the end he's the man. And what about overlap? and why/how?

The first answer is "Love" and there was a line drop where someone said that their grandfather had a theory that love was a thing, like gravity or matter. And then it was gone. no more explication. That seems strange to me. If you're going to all of this trouble to set up no less than 6 period pieces, why wouldn't you take the time to explore the core? And still it is a fairly weak premise.

Anybody saw it? Interested in discussing it?

That which doesn't kill me.
Will only make me stranger.
Barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14372 on: August 24, 2017, 09:48:14 PM »

Reincarnation?  Or, given the aggravation factor in trying to connect the people in various eras, Yosemite Sam might cry, "Reintarnation!"

Makes a good double feach, maybe, with Terrence Malick's "Tree of Life."  Two films that seem to promise deepness, but leave you confused and sitting in a shallow puddle.

"A fool and his money are soon elected." - Will Rogers
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14373 on: August 25, 2017, 07:47:15 AM »

I may have underestimated Lewis, based on Hamilton's quoted article.  The comparison to Bunuel made my jaw drop.  Maybe time to re-see some of his films, post age 20.

Bottle - were you in the path of eclipse totality down there in....SC? 

For what it iz wortj we were in Oregon, smack in the middle of totality. It was fucking awesome.

Non vi mettete in pelago, ché forse,
perdento me, rimarreste smarriti
Barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14374 on: August 25, 2017, 09:53:09 AM »

Yes.  The changes in the land around you are in some ways more interesting than the black disk with corona around it.  In a semi-desert locale (Crawford, NE), the temp drop was very noticeable.  Out in chapparal, cattle starting laying down, as if evening were coming on.  And since there are areas getting sun beyond the horizon, there's a twilight glow 360 around the horizon.  If there are trees nearby, you can see the partial eclipse showing as the ground below spangled with little crescents - the apertures in the tree crown are like hundreds of pinhole cameras. 

Our view glasses said they were approved by various scientific organizations....and Bill Nye.  So I guess we won't get cataracts anytime soon. 

I liked Bill Nye in that movie cameo, that movie I can't quite remember.  Topic relevance!

Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14375 on: August 25, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »

Mise en scene et al.

The light during the totality.

I wanted to say, I appreciated this week for all that it brought. I enjoyed the opportunity to stop and think about the Moon. One of those things that you always say to yourself, one day I'm going to take the time to figure that out. (There's still a lot about it that I understand but can't quite visualize). But you don't.

Then, two nights ago there was zero moon (after it set) and zero clouds and wide open skies. Out with the dogs taking our walk and I had the binoculars (Look, I'm going to tie this to a movie) and I discovered another of those truths.

In used a single point of light (I'd say it was a star, but it could be a galaxy, I could have used my Galaxy to identify it, but the galaxy was on Orion's belt and I was looking to the east of it. That wasn't the movie tie in I was expecting, but, "Waist not want not"  Shocked ) to focus the Binoculars. And then I moved the binoculars to see the Milky Way.

The idea is that, sometimes we can use a particular ideal to focus, but then when we stop focusing on that ideal alone we are able to see the myriad other ideals that surround it. I reaffirmed a life lesson for myself in that.

I love looking at the Milky Way. Up here on the coast I have "Big Sky" and Dark Knights (also not the connection, but I'm getting closer) I can see (with my aged eyes and a pair of glasses) the MW from horizon to horizon. It's like being in a Planetarium, except not.

Now, I guess you need to know that I did not grow up with this spectacle available. I grew up in a valley with light pollution. It was better than the city, but... So those of you flat landers might not know it was like not to have, what I never had.

I remember the first time I actually pointed the Binoculars at the MW. I actually said, out loud to no one there, "Oh My God, it's all stars!" (Ok that was the one. Sort of a test for you that I know you'll know, so I won't bother to cite.) I have to hand it to either Arthur C. or Stanley K. for the veracity of that line. It is as if it is pulled out of you, naturally. 

It was a great week. Thanks to all those who helped.

Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14376 on: August 25, 2017, 10:39:40 AM »

Reincarnation?  Or, given the aggravation factor in trying to connect the people in various eras, Yosemite Sam might cry, "Reintarnation!"

Makes a good double feach, maybe, with Terrence Malick's "Tree of Life."  Two films that seem to promise deepness, but leave you confused and sitting in a shallow puddle.

That's what you got out of that? Reincarnation?

I guess. I might rather call it reiteration in that the characters had no knowledge of their past, other than the Cloud Atlas music. I wrote a piece one time around the idea that Leo and Jaconda meet under the picture. They understand that tomorrow reality will be totally different, but the picture remains (maybe). Same sort of thing as the Cloud Atlas music.

Further, there is a complication of the Composer having dreamt of the music in some future, indicating a two way street between the generations.

I must say, that I have a dislike for the movie because it makes me jealous of their story versus my own story (although, my story is sort of the unifying theory of these type stories. I have had people compare mine to Beelzbub's Tales To His Grandson ) but getting beyond that.

Do you suppose that the author was talking about Buddhism? In that the life repeats until there is comprehension of the love (bliss, nirvana) at which time the story connects and they are happily dead ever after?

As to mental dismissal of the message. I do agree with the impulse. But I do wonder if that is a function of the story or our own compartmentalization, prioritization functions? Do we turn away from the task of understanding because we have processed the information and we can see that it challenges so many of our primary stabilizers that keep us focused on what we collectively agree is "reality" that we shut the process down?

Not unlike not seeing something horrific in a picture because our mind blocks out that image to protect us from the shock. Or the "repressed memories" of a childhood where we see our father kill our mother's lover... or was it the lover who kills the father? Personally I didn't see it , I didn't hear it, so I'll say nothing to no one, I'll never tell the truth. (bonus movie citation)

Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14377 on: August 25, 2017, 02:55:19 PM »

Meanwhile, from a movie, story telling POV I thought that they did a good job of taking an obtuse collection of recollections and putting them into a form that carried the story forward.

I'm not a cinephile by any definition, but this is a pretty impressive juggling act.

Let me ask this. The slave being whipped. When he spotted the guy who was wearing way too much wool for the Southern climes. Was he the woman? Was he Halley Berry? Or was he Tom Hanks?

OHHHH! That's who Georgie was! Now I get him!

So there are the three. The lovers and the evil. The doctor poisoning the guy, the front desk Hanks I guess there might be others I'll have to look again. I imagine it would be the composer, but I don't know. It could be the brother (that was a funny conceit!) and for whatever reason he was there to keep them apart? He would be like the "anti Love" if Love were a "thing."

Hmmmph. 

Sir Utley
Superhero Member

Levine is a coward.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14378 on: August 29, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »

"Deep Throat"in the era of "small hands":

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/liam-neeson-has-particular-set-of-skills-in-mark-felt-movie-trailer.html

What hath Mark Felt wrought?

That's you in the water.
Sir Utley
Superhero Member

Levine is a coward.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14379 on: August 31, 2017, 09:48:48 AM »

Amazing stuff: https://www.yahoo.com/movies/carl-reiner-reveals-secrets-man-two-brains-favorite-moment-jerk-intel-oceans-8-181944840.html

That's you in the water.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14380 on: September 09, 2017, 10:47:55 PM »

Nobody is clicking on your links, you won't clue anybody to anything.

If you have an original thought share it somewhere else.

Unless you have thought about it for a month.

A link from you is like getting an $8 check from gandma, supposedly.
Sir Utley
Superhero Member

Levine is a coward.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14381 on: September 10, 2017, 11:08:03 AM »

Nobody is clicking on your links, you won't clue anybody to anything.

If you have an original thought share it somewhere else.

Unless you have thought about it for a month.

A link from you is like getting an $8 check from gandma, supposedly.

"Nobody" is your first name. Say hi to "gandma", when you sober up, Nobody.

That's you in the water.
Barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14382 on: September 10, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »

That little girl bystander scene in TMw2B is a classic.  All the Martin-Reiner collabs are worth watching again. 

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14383 on: September 15, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »

Fuck. Harry Dean Stanton has died. The "I knew these people... these two people" speech from Paris.Texas is one of my favorite 10 minutes in all of movies.

Non vi mettete in pelago, ché forse,
perdento me, rimarreste smarriti
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14384 on: September 15, 2017, 08:25:19 PM »

Loved by everybody who loves movies, if you wanted  Harry Dean Stanton type you had to cast him.
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960
  Print  

Jump to: