Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 20, 2018, 04:53:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 51505 times)
peloux

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2850 on: December 17, 2007, 09:54:04 PM »

peloux --

I don't think you are supposed to like Senta or completely understand why Philippe hooks up with her.  And yet, love does have a way of leading people to do things that they might not otherwise do.  I thought The Bridesmaid was terrific for being unnervingly understated.  I enjoyed watching the story unfold and wondering what exactly Philippe saw in Senta.  Then at the end, I thought, he doesn't really amount to much without her.  It's twisted but true.

Rmdig, my take on the movie was less a criticism, per se, and more a strictly a gut reaction. People like Senta drive me up a wall with all that nonsense and it interfered with my enjoyment of the story. Normally in a case like this I can restrain myself and just watch the movie but Senta was just too much for me. Roll Eyes  I, too, wondered what Phillipe saw in her. Who wouldn't. He  seemed much too down to earth and she much to far out to make them believable for me.

Weezo, some time ago, when the International Channel was on regular cable, a French movie was shown once a week sometimes with other French programming usually having to do with movies or actors. The feed was always from the same TV statiion, a Channel 5 if I remember correctly, from Canada. Maybe it’s the same station to which you refer. Wherever it is, I miss it. 
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2851 on: December 17, 2007, 10:24:11 PM »

Peloux,

If the channel also showed the Red Green show, it is the same channel we used to get on the old satellite system, which pulled in everything available, rather than Direct TV, which has "packages" which make  selections for you. Before the changeover, we could get 2-3 Canadian channels on one of the satellites.  But they are not included in the Direct TV "package" we get. Not sure what network has recently picked up the Red Green show, but we have been able to get in in recent months. Check out what you can get on Direct TV and compare it to what you are getting on cable.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2852 on: December 17, 2007, 10:54:08 PM »

"So jbottle, is that a ritual, or it just happened?"

Yeah, it's kind of the ritual, the significant bother just shakes her head and goes to be when I say:  "I think I have to stay up and watch 'Spartan' again..."

It's kind of a problem.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2853 on: December 17, 2007, 11:20:30 PM »

I liked "Spartan" a lot - mark it Ed O'Neill!!

Indie gem thing alert... Check out "Great World Of Sound" - sort "Glengarry Glen Ross" but less gloss or whatever.   
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2854 on: December 17, 2007, 11:41:35 PM »

Like "Boiler Room," awesum (joke)?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2855 on: December 18, 2007, 12:58:12 PM »

Will look for it on the Netflixt.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2856 on: December 18, 2007, 01:18:15 PM »

The movie itself isn't the greatest - you never get the feeling that you're watching the work of a skilled storyteller or whatever, but the quality of the performances of the two leads more than makes up for it. 

Pat Healy plays the main character, and is very good, but the powerful/sad stuff comes from Kene Holliday, his partner.  If you've ever watched TV, you've seen Holliday 18,000 times.  Check out his resume - the guy was on freakin "Kojak", for crying out loud.

Anyways, Healy is very good, but Holliday's performance is one of the best and most haunting I've seen this year.  I'll say no more at this time - if anyone can check out "Great World Of Sound", please report back as soon as it's done.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2857 on: December 18, 2007, 10:50:06 PM »

I was just now watching TBL again, and I immediately wonder all over again why John Goodman is so good in Coen Bros. movies and so average in everything else, I think his character is a close second to Bridges portrayal of "Lebowski," he is such "of a type," that they must know somebody close to even write it, but maybe you can just imagine it, probably a little bit of both.

"It's laundry, dude.  Underwear.  *The whites.*"

I'm kind of flipping around, but I can watch TBL over and over, it's funny how when you find something on cable, it's like listening to the radio, where, if you want to see it or hear it ON DEMAND or intentionally, it's not as funny or fresh, you know when you're listening to the classic rock channel and "Don't Fear the Reaper" comes on?  Or am I the only person who still listens to terrestrial radio for the lack of predictability?  I know satellite can make you listen to what demographic you fall into, but sometimes you just NEED MORE COWBELL, and cable is like that to, without surfing into some movies, midstream, like "White Hunter, Black Heart," actually a good Jeff Fahey performance, where it's like, yeah, I haven't seen this one in a while where I thought I really wouldn't watch it again.  It's pretty lean though as it should be for a time-compressed snapshot biopic, six months in the life of Huston, basically, that I thought it a nice idea for a movie, the memoir of "The African Queen" or John Huston experience by the writer serving as so well suited for a feature film, now I need to read the book.  Rambling again I'm afraid.
peloux

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2858 on: December 19, 2007, 01:09:24 AM »

>>>Or am I the only person who still listens to terrestrial radio for the lack of predictability?

Not in the least and, of course, you probably knew that already. As you indicate, the anticipatory aspect of getting that CD ready (using music) is already impinging on the "fresh"-ness. OTOH having something we like a great deal thrust upon us unawares is a nice surprise. A friend of mine eschews the radio because he thinks he has everything and he can just put it on.

I didn't care that much for TBL. I had heard about it but really didn't know anything at all about it going in. This can be a disadvantage with certain movies. Maybe reading those synopses (which I deplore) can serve a purpose. I may have been a little overwhelmed. And I'm not sure my temperament is in line with TBL. I agreed with Leonard Maltin who writes (in part):  "Mostly an excuse for off-the-wall character vignettes, some of which are amusing, others which are just ... strange. Minor Coen concoction with a most agreable cast." But he's probably a little stuffy too. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 01:45:12 AM by peloux » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2859 on: December 19, 2007, 12:44:45 PM »

Jbot, congrats on superhero-hood.  I haven't had much time to post this week and so have yet to achieve the realm.  TBL does seem to improve with repetition, there are nuances caught that are missed first time around.  Once you've tasted lingonberries, you know what I mean.  Goodman also stood out as the menacing "common man" in Barton Fink.

Just watched "Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD" and posted a review over at the "other" place.  Life-changing.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2860 on: December 19, 2007, 01:07:12 PM »

Barton,

Who is Stella Artois?  Just a note to let you know Sundance Festival is doing an entire month, every night at 9pm, all of January. Drop me a note in that other place for notes.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2861 on: December 19, 2007, 01:18:07 PM »

Leonard Maltin is an idiot.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2862 on: December 19, 2007, 04:42:21 PM »

http://www.stellaartois.com/lecourage/go.php?lang=ENG&language=ENG&market=GLOBAL&hasLegalAge=true&tracking_lang=english
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2863 on: December 19, 2007, 05:31:16 PM »

Who is Stella Artois? 

You mean that's not who Stanley Kowaski was yelling about?  (Sorry, old drunk joke)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2864 on: December 19, 2007, 06:35:32 PM »

Harrie,

Be sure, when you click on that link to go to all the little underground links about the "making of beer?". I kept myself entertained in there for far too long, although I never could find that werewolf again. It was  just a short trip one side of hysterical  humor, in French no less(or, rather the Belgian version of it. But, that's about all that it takes is some odd Frenchman, like Jean Reno or Daniel Auteuil standing around leering, to say something exasperated, for me to fall off my chair laughing).

Only one link that didn't click in for me; unless that was the joke? Just endless water running by like that flood (in the bathroom before you figure out where that knob is that turns off the toilet, or the sink, or the tub...) during the sequence where the peasants go to find pure water in the Dangers of the Forest so that they can make the beer.

It didn't take long for me to notice they are more advanced at making commercials for beer than we are, either.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: