Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
February 24, 2018, 11:13:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 301
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 35287 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4035 on: April 26, 2008, 05:27:05 PM »

You're right, Iron Man opens next week. For some reason, I thought it was May 9.   Besides giving Downey a new facet to the career, Iron Man may also give Favreau the opportunity to change his just-before-dragging-on-the-cigar line from "Since Elf...." to "Since Iron Man...."   

And gotta love Michael Caine and his outlook. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4036 on: April 26, 2008, 05:51:53 PM »

LOL FAVREAU, "since 'Iron Man'" sounds better than "...since 'Elf'..."

But I finally caught up with "Elf" and found it to be a quite well thought-out and well-executed family holiday movie that was funny for kids of all ages, really. 

Think of how inexpert "Daredevil" was, and you get really impressed with competently told good stories with three to five good jokes (I think I'm borrowing from oil, here), I mean, I like the idea of Downey playing an arrogant captain of industry or industrial tycoon, there's a lot you can do with that especially since, like Batman, he doesn't have any supernatural talents, just his faith in science and his wits, so it will be interesting to see Downey go from imperturbable tycoon to fear for his life ordinary man, which if that happens could make "Iron Man" a surprise on several different levels, but I don't want to get my hopes up too high.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 05:55:27 PM by jbottle » Logged
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4037 on: April 26, 2008, 05:53:11 PM »

"Look, when I made 'Elf', we had a saying..."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4038 on: April 26, 2008, 06:34:03 PM »

Oil:  Didn't you once post that there is something like a $2 per joke ratio that you should pay for a movie, in other words, if you don't get 4-5 "jokes," then you were the sucker born every minute, and if you get more than five or so good jokes you are "livin' on Tulsa time," so to speak.  I don't think you put it into a dollar ration, but it's more like, if there are three good jokes I'm happy type thing.

Like when Clifford makes a Bloody Mary sneakily all out of tobasco sauce for Charles Grodin in "Clifford," or when Pando Sinatra says "I'd sell my soul for a piece of ___"  and his buddy says "Don't say that" and Pando says "...but it's true..." and his buddy says "I know but don't SAY it..."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4039 on: April 26, 2008, 07:08:33 PM »

Good joke in "Clifford":

Like when Clifford makes a Bloody Mary sneakily all out of tobasco sauce for Charles Grodin...

Not so good:

When Charles Grodin pushes the lever to accelerate the Larry The Scary Rex ride, and says "Hyperdrive speed!" or whatever he says.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4040 on: April 26, 2008, 07:37:45 PM »

That was a bad set piece, but it's kind of like when, in "The Cable Guy," Jim Carrey doesn't get impaled on a satellite at a time when all thrillers ended up with the psycho impaled, as well as a bad set piece with the joke of cable vs. satellite, like what would be the most ironic way for a cable guy to die, be impaled on a DIRECT TV satellite, but yeah, I actually think that both jokes work from a sort of this is the "big ending" but in a "who cares" kind of way, like you can feel them giving up on the movie at the end and almost smell the flopsweat of a bad idea gone awesome or real bad, not knowing what the review will be, but expecting the worst.  I suspect that history will be kind to "Clifford," even as Ebert was not, just as I've begun to think this, "Captain Ron" is more wily than we first expected.  I wish somebody wanted to be in the Martin Short business, because he seemed so good in that enthusiastic American dad who gets in over his head role in "Captain Ron," I mean there's no reason that there shouldn't have been a "Captain Ron II:  Bon Voyage," where we sort of catch up with the characters, etc., maybe I just don't get it I guess.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 07:39:31 PM by jbottle » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4041 on: April 26, 2008, 10:27:39 PM »

jbottle,re:#4035

"...kinda like, "who would've thought I could play a superhero, I'm the guy who wakes up in your kid's bunkbed in Santa Monica by accident."

Sure, that's kind of the essence of it. I can buy that.  Having known people of that sort rather well, you just know that if they are asked to do the roll of the superhero in a movie coming up that is going to be a breakthrough cast against type role-reversal, they are not going to turn it down but go for it.  Then we can all say we knew them when.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4042 on: April 27, 2008, 08:51:17 AM »

I actually think that both jokes work from a sort of this is the "big ending" but in a "who cares" kind of way...

Nice - that would be a fun road-trip game, listing movies with we-give-up-let's-just-end-it endings.

RE: "Captain Ron", I'd submit it has one of the best jokes ("He said 'GO-rilla'... not 'GUERR-illa'... 'GO-rilla'... 'GO'... 'GUERR'... HUGE difference, kids, HUGE difference...") ever in a movie, which also had some good off-shoot jokes, like:

"'Pirates of the Carribean'?  Been to Disneyworld one too many times, have we Captain Ron?"

(Then, while Martin Short and the kids go back and forth about the Guerilla thing, Captain Ron has a conversation with himself, not to dispute what Martin Short said, but rather because what Martin Short said got him thinking about theme parks)

"Hmm... you know, I don't think I've ever been to Disneyworld.  I've been to Dollywood once..."

----

I'll do what I can to stick up for "Clifford" (which had one great joke - "Look at me like a real boy!! You can't do it, can you!?!?"), but I'll defend "Captain Ron" to the death. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4043 on: April 27, 2008, 11:27:12 AM »

I get what you mean, not everybody likes "Clifford" but could give "Captain Ron" a pass because it's so nicely paced, is a funny story, well done, whereas with "Clifford" you almost have to make a sort of "leap of faith," which Ebert in one of his funnier zero star or one-star reviews was unable to make. 

I think that "Captain Ron" needs no defense; but I would defend the right of "Clifford" to have it's place in the world, misguided and strange as it is, to the mos def.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4044 on: April 27, 2008, 03:08:13 PM »

"H & K Guantanimo:  13.278M"--jbottle

Actual:  14.6

So I didn't nail it but was off by around 8% or so...and with Baby (baby baby come on whats wrong...), sorry, I was about 5 high and the guru was about five low so we'll call that a draw.

I beat the guru and as I dust off the divining rod, I'm starting to chase his ass again, and I'm thinking about e-mailing him to let him know I'm coming this summer. 

[subject to amendment prior to guru Thurs. post] 

I think Iron Man will do exactly $62.369M over the weekend, there I said it.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4045 on: April 27, 2008, 05:13:09 PM »

"and as I dust off the divining rod, I'm starting to chase his ass again...."

Should I?  Hmmm.  Perhaps not. 

Has anyone seen Gashole?  It's making the rounds on limited release, so it may not be at a theater near you.  It's fairly edifying -- the subject matter is about what the title suggests, so its release now is pretty good timing.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4046 on: April 27, 2008, 06:26:46 PM »

Yeah, but I'm not queer, having anal sex with guys doesn't interest me at all, but yeah, I guess I left it out there.

Seeing if this dude with the Fidel Castro golf cap can top Adam Scott, who is not a good "crunch time" putter, though has been today.

Like to see Moore win his first and/or cash the .5K.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4047 on: April 27, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »

That's .7M for the loser prob, but anyway, the whole gay test is FUCK I CAN'T PLAY SPORTS as a professional (which the locker room and hanging out with the fellas, etc., and then going to the joint and getting, etc. being the best option), and want to procreate, I mean, I wish I was GAY, then I would just move to Santa Monica and write for a sitcom, I guess I want to have babies and I can't commit suicide anymore after having nieces.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 06:38:56 PM by jbottle » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4048 on: April 28, 2008, 10:42:51 AM »

LOL "....after having nieces."

Damn, you're funny.  Write that sitcom anyway, in between changing diapers.  The baby's, I mean.

The Trek film upcoming is rumored to be better than the previous slop, per my SF cronies.  I thought the whole movie franchise started to sag after the third or fourth one, the one where they go back in time to Earth and save a whale.  That's where I stopped watching.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4049 on: April 28, 2008, 11:19:58 AM »

I actually liked the first on that everbody thought was a bust but "The Wrath of Kahn" was awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 301
  Print  

Jump to: