Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
February 24, 2018, 04:45:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 92
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 16553 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #750 on: October 16, 2007, 07:00:29 AM »

I agree with earlier post about the men mostly being kind of weak on DH.  I'm not saying it's a chick show or anything, but I do sense that suburban women would be a stronger demog for this than me.  The only woman I really dig on the show is Felicity Huffman.  I did watch several eps where she's being paranoid about her new neighbor, thinking he's a pedophile, and thought it was a dark funny commentary on middle-class paranoia.

Eva Longoria is vastly overrated.

Huffman is the best thing the show has going for it.  Longoria plays Gaby well, but her character is the classic "rich bitch" and is not overly appealling, especially in season 3, but dear Eva always looks good in lingerie.  The show plays more to demographics than it does to any sense of place, as I couldn't imagine bringing together 5 more disparate figures than these "desperate housewives."  Nevertheless, I find the show fun to watch.  Kind of a Sisters meets Thirtysomething meets Picket Fences sort of thing.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #751 on: October 16, 2007, 12:26:50 PM »

SPEAKING OF: Thirty Something, that's why I originally dropped into movies this morning to ask very sotto voce who had been discussing Blood Diamond in there. (and promptly forgot)

I've been watching it piece-meal when I have a moment;and, it comes by(not a Desperate Housewives viewer but, you probably get that,by now). My first impression was to be turned off by the fact of Leo. He is not named that for nothing. Yet,he is growing up and filling out nicely and I have to remind myself that anybody who could carry the role of Rimbeau
in Total Eclipse...

(I figured he was so-so in The Aviator)  but, I am not here to praise
Leonardo Di , nor to bury him, since he was surpassed by Damon in the The Departed.

I simply recalled that many people in this forum were not enthralled by Thirty Something although I was amazed with the writing that went into it and really tired of Peter Horton. That kind of "cool" hipster is still happening on this week's latest tv. Have you caught,"Tell me,You Love me"?

Therefore, I think that Blood Diamond was not bad for Zwick and Herskowits (which just goes to show that I did not love them enough to get the spelling of their names correctly).

Without discounting DiCaprio, it has an interesting premise, excellent photography of African highlands and jungle, lots of action, some sensible romanticism about the Colonial Past or why people are what they are, but that does not overlook the sometimes ingenue performances of Jennifer Connelly and Leo in tandem; yet, perhaps that is what you get when you throw a couple together on a heated dance floor, innocuous pick-up lines from once or twice in a bar and irrevocable banter when you can't entirely make out what you actually heard over the loud music but will become memorable when things inevitably go wrong which they have to .

Leo going in and out of two or three different East to Southeast African dialectical intonations of how to speak English when you are raised speaking two or three languages will require me to listen to this on the other tv. but I have a feeling his delivery was so spontaneous that I may not be able to tell what he says when he shifts because he seems to have a pretty good ear without getting tongue-tied for mimicry and imitation of idiom unless that was all he remembered from the dialect coach.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 12:28:23 PM by madupont » Logged
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #752 on: October 16, 2007, 01:13:16 PM »

Eva Longoria is vastly overrated.

Guessing you are over 30 Barton?
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #753 on: October 16, 2007, 01:23:29 PM »

So I guess now we know why more commercials aren't turned into television shows.  I suppose this could have been riotously funny, but the writing is pretty bad.

What's next?

Stay tuned for "Whaaaaat'sss  Uuuuuppp"  The hilarious hijinks of two beer drinking friends...

Immediately following  The Talking Gecko with the British Accent  absurdly funny, cuddly reptile does observational stand up comedy...
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #754 on: October 16, 2007, 02:23:34 PM »

Good guess, Trojan.  But it's not the attractiveness issue (though she isn't really my type) so much as my sense that if she weren't shapely and perky, people would notice that she wasn't all that great an actress.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #755 on: October 16, 2007, 08:13:32 PM »

Haven't heard ONE call her a good actress.  That's why I got the chuckle from the "overrated" line.

DAMN - forgot to TIVO Caveman.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #756 on: October 18, 2007, 11:10:52 AM »

Haven't heard ONE call her a good actress.  That's why I got the chuckle from the "overrated" line.

DAMN - forgot to TIVO Caveman.

I was about to say something similar regarding Eva. I think the appeal is purely physical.

If you like Caveman, you should try to record it permanently, because it doesn't have much more time would be my guess.

I still have episodes of Max Headroom and Sledge Hammer taped and pull them out once in awhile--not too mention Briscoe County Jr.

Wait, didn't we have this conversation a few months back?

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #757 on: October 18, 2007, 09:43:09 PM »

Cavemen thus far is certainly no DINOSAURS
luee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #758 on: October 18, 2007, 10:01:54 PM »

No need to tivo you can catch many of the complete episodes from the networks or
http://www.channelsurfing.net/

Catching up on some of the best and worst. Cavemen was better than the commercials, still needs work. I like journeyman but Quantum leap was better. One reality competion I cannot get into is dancing with the stars. Nation of kids is alright.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #759 on: October 19, 2007, 11:40:07 AM »

Cavemen thus far is certainly no DINOSAURS

...not the mama!

loved that damn show...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #760 on: October 19, 2007, 11:46:50 AM »

jury is still out on Journeyman, but I am enjoying it so far.  It seems to me that they are using the Lost concept to some degree...

they are developing a story between all the characters while only giving occassional clues to the central mystery.

If nothing else it's funny listening to the main character trying to hold his "american" accent...

Speaking of Lost...what the hell?  It's already late October...
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #761 on: October 19, 2007, 12:57:53 PM »

Speaking of Lost...what the hell?  It's already late October...

Lost is coming in February.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #762 on: October 19, 2007, 12:58:55 PM »

jury is still out on Journeyman, but I am enjoying it so far. 
If nothing else it's funny listening to the main character trying to hold his "american" accent...

He was better in ROME.  Accents aside.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
luee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #763 on: October 20, 2007, 01:48:45 AM »

Checking out the adventures, no canned comedy please. Journeyman was good but not quite a Quatum Leap, a big fav. Chuck yes a goodtime romantic comedy; adventure, action, smart lines, borrowed from the 70s Get Smart, UNCLE, Charlies Angels etc., etc.
Bionic woman, ugh much too serious and bloody for such a bizzaro premise. Took the old series and went way over the top.
luee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #764 on: October 20, 2007, 01:54:30 AM »

To answer the opening question I was one of the few that was disappointed in the Sopranos from the start, so the ending did not disappoint me more.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 92
  Print  

Jump to: