Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
May 24, 2018, 02:18:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 25100 times)
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #765 on: October 21, 2007, 12:03:19 AM »

I have found it!  HBO On Demand has 19 episodes of "The Wire" until 10/28 so I will return from Baltimore about then (only found this last night and since I'm a responsible  chore-doer am only up to #7). 

I figure I'm allowed, never got into Sopranos or other such, though some years back another Baltimore show, "Homicide: Life on the Street," did have my undivided attention on the nights it was on.  A veteran of that show is in "The Wire" along with many fine performers.  Any other fans here?   
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #766 on: October 21, 2007, 12:05:44 AM »

I'm a big fan of The Wire.  I think its the best show on HBO.  I caught Episode 1 again.  Funny how they did it.  They took themselves too seriously.  With the close-ups and the security camera in the elevator.  They were trying too hard.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #767 on: October 21, 2007, 08:11:54 PM »

Heads up! I just found out that I missed the first of tonight's showings of a remake of --The Wicker Man--as it was finishing up.  I noticed something odd although I was familiar with what was going on; the girls/women looked different from what I'd previously seen, the old British version quite awfully frightening to say the least. Then I found out why, that it was a remake, permitted by Studio Canal that I'd  never known about.  I have no idea how it varies but suspect it does as more modernized.

It will be on again tonight in various places on HBOHD. Check your HBO schedule to see if it is showing in your area. Definitely part of the film build-up for Halloween.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #768 on: October 21, 2007, 10:45:58 PM »

I have found it!  HBO On Demand has 19 episodes of "The Wire" until 10/28 so I will return from Baltimore about then (only found this last night and since I'm a responsible  chore-doer am only up to #7). 

I figure I'm allowed, never got into Sopranos or other such, though some years back another Baltimore show, "Homicide: Life on the Street," did have my undivided attention on the nights it was on.  A veteran of that show is in "The Wire" along with many fine performers.  Any other fans here?   

Homicide is all over STEALTH Network.  Don't know if you get that.

A great way to catch up with TV sets/seasons is the local library.  Our system here in North Jersey is fantatstic (share between about 40 towns, where you can get a title sent to your home library).  WEEDS 1 and 2 are my next looksee, but I can't stop rewatching West Wing.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #769 on: October 21, 2007, 11:35:58 PM »

up to episode 6 myself.  its great seeing the first season and seeing Prez being a total fuckup asshole when in later season his character is such a nice guy.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #770 on: October 22, 2007, 01:05:54 PM »

Maddy, I wasn't familiar with any earlier version of The Wicker Man.  Saw what you say is the new version the other night.  I knew nothing good was going to come of things when the float plane turned up sunk in the bay.  I can still hear our hero (can't think of that guy's name to save me) screaming.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #771 on: October 22, 2007, 01:15:37 PM »

My sympathies to a "Lost" fan who was unaware of the super-long hiatus that was imposed on the series.  Yes, it's not coming back until February, for various complex reasons that might fall under the category of "screwing with us." 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #772 on: October 22, 2007, 01:21:51 PM »

Maddy, I wasn't familiar with any earlier version of The Wicker Man.  Saw what you say is the new version the other night.  I knew nothing good was going to come of things when the float plane turned up sunk in the bay.  I can still hear our hero (can't think of that guy's name to save me) screaming.

Nicholas Cage/

Donotremove, I just gave this version an absolutely bad review over in the other Movies or, one or another of them, as it is getting confusing. I think it stunk versus the "British cult Classic" and I gave my reasons why. It would be just a little like having Rachel Ray as the new Miss Marple.  It would get lots of attention from viewers, I'm sure; but it would not be the same as  to what Miss Marple brings to analyzing and solving the crime after serving everybody canapes and sherry.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #773 on: October 22, 2007, 02:45:42 PM »

Speaking of Ms. Ray, I caught part of her show the other day, and she doesn't look good -- she was puffy and tired-looking.  I don't mean this cattily; I actually like her in small doses.   (Nor will I make the too much DD coffee joke.)
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #774 on: October 22, 2007, 02:47:03 PM »

Rachel Ray as Mrs Marple. What a hoot.  Thanks for the laugh, Maddy.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #775 on: October 23, 2007, 12:41:39 AM »

its great seeing the first season and seeing Prez being a total fuckup asshole when in later season his character is such a nice guy.

And aren't we thankful for nickname for one whose name is unspellable, though not unpronounceable!  You can see why his penchant for noodling out solutions to puzzling parts of the investigation might very well lead to his later occupation, but I still can't figure out other parts--like the shooting up of the cop car told about early on and attacking the kid that he half-blinded (guilt attack over this also  contributing to later career change?)

I'm getting way more of McNulty's angst than I want and less than I want of such scenes as the opening of one ep where the kid gets the younger kids off to school, each (except one) with a bag of chips for nutrition.  Some of these kind of details convince me that portions are drawn from real experience, just as some of the cop "war stories" are interlaced with the fundamental, practically tribal, conflict. 

Back another time, kid's running me off the PC.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #776 on: October 24, 2007, 05:51:41 AM »

I see Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman is now available on DVD,

http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Hartman-1/dp/B000MEYKA0/ref=cm_cr-mr-title/105-5791205-4542015

Louise Lasser always reminded me a bit of Jane Curtain, or vice-versa.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #777 on: October 24, 2007, 10:41:58 AM »

But,wow,dzimas, she reminded Woody Allen of Mia Farrow or vice-versa.
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #778 on: October 24, 2007, 04:40:02 PM »

Barton:

I love that cat; he looks really tired.  Didn't you give him/her any food?  [g]

Damages

Did anyone watch the conclusion?  My head spins with this show.  People are good then bad then good then .....  Despite the insanity of it and the head spinning from watching the show, I will be back next season for more masochistic entertainment.  For some reason, it's addictive even after I shake my head after watching an episode and I couldn't even begin to explain any episode.  A fascinating train wreck
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #779 on: October 25, 2007, 05:48:10 AM »

Lulu, I was rummaging around in the online LATimes yesterday, to get a closer look at what's going on with the fires, and ran across a review of the final episode of Damages.  Whoever it was--sorry, I didn't pay attention to the author--really 'splained to me what's what with that show.  Hot damn, now all is revealed.  And, with all that knowledge under my hat, I'm quite sure, now, that Frobisher will survive.  He MAY survive to have the last laugh at Patty.  Now that we know the bitch will kill to get her way, I'll believe anything.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: