Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
December 15, 2017, 10:42:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90]
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 13568 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1335 on: June 24, 2008, 10:48:46 AM »

The following George Carlin quotes may or may not contain one that has a bearing on his present situation:

Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

Is a vegetarian permitted to eat animal crackers?

I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons and forks so I wondered, what do Chinese mothers use? Toothpicks?

If a cop stops you, gives you a breathalyzer test, and tells you that you are legally intoxicated, then what's the problem?

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1336 on: November 22, 2017, 09:31:54 PM »

We need more television shows like "Little House on the Prairie," "Highway to Heaven," "Touched by an Angel," "Bonanza," "The Big Valley," and good wholesome shows like that. And we need more shows and movies that show the good side of Mexico and Mexicans, like "The Magnificent Seven" where good guys go to Mexico to save the good Mexicans from the bad guys, etc. We need to show the good side of America and Americans, and the good side of human kind, etc, and we need to reflect a good relationship between Americans and our good Mexican neighbors, and with our good Christian neighbors here in the Western Hemisphere.

And we need to make more projects which reflect things from the American perspective, as opposed to the perspective of the British and opposed to the perspective of the Canadians. We need to bring the entertainment industry back to Hollywood, and we need more American shows broadcast on American television channels, and fewer Canadian shows, and less British influence, etc. And it is about more than the money, it is about shaping our perceptions of ourselves here in America, etc. The USA is different than Canada, and England, and our entertainment needs to reflect that.

It is about more than bringing the jobs back to Hollywood, it is about us having our own voice.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1337 on: November 22, 2017, 10:02:04 PM »

Test.
Itz ME!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1338 on: December 06, 2017, 10:14:32 AM »

From NYT article re: Some Hockenberry
Ms. Kim {The author of the article being reported on in the NYT} also shared her own account, which began about a year after her December 2014 appearance on the show. Mr. Hockenberry asked to meet with her, she said, and then began issuing repeated suggestive messages by email, persisting even as she declined to respond.

He suggested that they “do a date” and “scheme some other way to get you back on the air,” she reported. One email arrived with the subject line “Need another dose of you.” He asked for her home address so he could send her letters.

In one email, which arrived on Ms. Kim’s birthday, he asked if he was “bugging you or creeping you out?” It was, she wrote, “as though he knew exactly how uncomfortable he was making me feel.”

"... issuing repeated suggestive messages by email, persisting even as she declined to respond." So your passive aggressive tactic didn't work. Why didn't you say, "Listen, Bub! I like to keep all interactions out in the open. So please stop contacting me in this way. If you want me on the show, please, contact my agent. Thank you for your understanding."

"...he asked if he was 'bugging you or creeping you out?' It was, she wrote, 'as though he knew exactly how uncomfortable he was making me feel.'”

OR, maybe he is just dense as a block of lead and he was asking you a genuine question! He didn't understand why you weren't responding. Why didn't he understand? Because you didn't respond!

Communication starts with COM. Which, in all Romantic (as in "From the Roman") languages in some form means "With." You are looking at a communication device of some sort. Aside from the fact that it is FUCKING RUDE to ignore someone who is speaking directly at you. If that person is willing to forgive you your boorishness and make excuses for your behavior, you have to give that person at least the benefit of the doubt that they are somewhat sincere. To blame that person is to absolve yourself of all your responsibilities within the social contract.

I don't know Hockenberry. He might be a creep, or he might be a lonely guy reaching out for human contact and intellectual stimulation.

I don't know how he interacted with people in his office. Maybe he was a tyrant. Maybe it's that he had ideas that he was willing to endorse and the other people weren't willing or able to stand up to his reasoning. They didn't identify Ad Hominem as a flaw in reasoning for nothing. Ad Hominem is often a rationalization of the person who lost the argument because they weren't as prepared as the victor.It's like Ole HS Truman used to say when they said "Give 'em Hell Harry!" he'd say, "I don't give 'em Hell, I just tell the truth and it burns like hell!" (or words to that effect).

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:16:05 AM by Itz ME! » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1339 on: December 06, 2017, 11:54:16 AM »

I don't know the radio guy's specific gravity, or if it's equal to lead.  My thought is:  if you ask someone if you are creeping them out or bugging them, and they don't answer, then you have your answer.  Personalities vary among Homo Sapiens.  Some people are bold.  Others are reticent, and have a hard time directly offering, or agreeing with, a negative assessment.  No answer might be an answer, and in some cultural traditions it's considered a clear one.

Actually, a non-response to an email that suggests or hints at an intimate relationship, sent by a man to a woman, is pretty freaking clearcut in any culture on the planet.

Most men are decent fellows and don't sexually harass, and manage to figure out the signals.  This guy isn't one of those decent fellows.  Hopefully, he can learn and move on.

I think the above would apply to Gary Keillor, too. 

Itz ME!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1340 on: December 06, 2017, 02:42:54 PM »

"Actually, a non-response to an email that suggests or hints at an intimate relationship, sent by a man to a woman, is pretty freaking clearcut in any culture on the planet."

Is there some information you are culling from a source other than the cited article? Because, the article as I read it (which may be faulty) doesn't specifically cite any of the actual emails, only her perceptions of them. Perceptions which I think are slanted to her particular POV.

"  if you ask someone if you are creeping them out or bugging them, and they don't answer, then you have your answer. " and we don't know if she got anymore emails after that. It may have occurred to him that it was a possibility with that email and then when she didn't respond he stopped. Again, she's writing the story from her POV. Her POV presumes to know his. Her POV aims to protect her ego, that's what POVs are designed to do. So why should we assume it is otherwise?*

I don't dismiss her POV. But I have lived with and against women for 60 years. They are frustrating creatures. A random example... "He didn't even say hello to me!" "You don't like that guy, and you told me 1,000 times before we got there that you didn't want anything to do with the guy." "I know, and he didn't even have the decency to say 'hello,'!"

Or.

"He didn't even say 'hello,' to me!"
"You put out a vibe towards him."
"He doesn't know that."

And she might be right, he might just be oblivious. Males often are. Males often are "Blunt force" versus women who are naturally stealthier due to the fact that they generally lack the muscle mass of their male counterparts (evolutionarily speaking).

The guy works for Public Radio. Do we think it was a conscious choice between that and movie stardom? Or even between it and shock jockery? It was going to be this or Bill O'Reilly? Or was this guy more probably a guy with social issues which kept him from the glare of the limelights?

It is a rare combination where a man has both brains and savior faire. Not that there aren't plenty of examples of those that do, but that's because of the "Talking Dog" nature of the phenomenon.

She didn't stand up for herself. Hey, this is NYC, everybody has to fight for every scrap of crap they scrape off the sidewalk. Nobody rides for free in NYC. If you're going to be here, you'd better know how to defend yourself against the onslaught of humanity that lives here too. So she didn't stand up for herself and just tell the guy "Back off, call my agent if you need me." OK, a "No" is as good as a "Yes." That way he knows it's No and he looks someplace else. Now she's being the bully.

And I'm supposed to look differently upon her behavior versus his, why? At least he wasn't publically humiliating her. He didn't cost her, her job. She cost him his job, because he asked her out.(?)

And make each prisoner pent
unwittingly represent
a source of innocent
merriment
of innocent
merriment

* So John Oliver is taking Dustin Hoffman to the woodshed and he reads from the girl's diary (contemporaneous notes, ask anyone in your HR dept, they'll say they are strong evidence!) that Dustin is a pig but she likes him.

DH asks "Do you believe what you read?"
JO, "Yes, because she has no reason to lie." After all, it's a diary, and what she's writing is actually self incriminating because she likes him even though he's a pig.

I mention this, because it is so diametrically opposed to the earlier situation and yet it is so similar. We assume the truth of the diary based upon what we know about human behavior. We know this other thing about human behavior too (that the POV is, most often, ego centric), why wouldn't we include it in our calculus?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:59:30 PM by Itz ME! » Logged
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1341 on: December 06, 2017, 08:56:52 PM »

Uno has returned. I guess he found his melds. Or went off them, again.

Grin

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1342 on: December 07, 2017, 09:27:57 AM »

"melds" -- Uno is Vulcan?

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90]
  Print  

Jump to: