login
Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 24, 2017, 10:10:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372]
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 297308 times)

« Reply #5565 on: November 14, 2016, 03:24:26 PM »

RIP Gwen Ifill. 61 years old!

Months long battle with cancer. Not all cancer stories have a happy ending.
Jesus!

2016, still sucking, after all this year!

« Reply #5566 on: November 15, 2016, 11:47:09 AM »

Also for "Music" PBS has a new series called Soundscape that looks at the process of making rock music, starting with Sam Phillips and then George Martin and Phil Specter and on from there.

Ep two was about the effect of the recording studio and how it went from essentially Sun to laptops today.

Worth your time if music interests you.
barton3
Superhero Member

Ya khochu pechen'ye, tovarich.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5567 on: November 15, 2016, 12:09:55 PM »

Yes, sorry to see Gwen Ifill go, much too soon.

Soundscape -- I thought the part with Rubin, and how he would get musicians into a comfortable space where they could unwind and show themselves was interesting.  Part producer, part therapist.  Many good anecdotes....Paul McC waking up and hearing Yesterday in a dream and worrying he'd subconsciously filched it from someone else, George M reassuring him it was quite original.  The guy looked like a banker, but he got on with the lads of Liverpool just fine.

When the axe came into the woods, many of the trees said 'at least the handle is one of us.' - Aesop

« Reply #5568 on: November 15, 2016, 12:40:24 PM »

The SFX for Tommorrow Never Knows and the strings for A day In The Life as well as the strings for Eleanor Rigby.

Those stories are both mind blowing and otherwise. Sort of like. "We're making art here!" in a "But it's a pile of dirt!" age. It wouldn't work if you knew what the hell it was. Just like the Art "doesn't work" because you don't see past your perception. (Dia Beacon is pretty awesome!)

Likewise the seemingly random notes accelerated to make the beginning of On The Run A little depressing to know it was sort of noodling with knobs. But what noodling! 

« Reply #5569 on: November 17, 2016, 11:34:24 AM »

Lethal Weapon tossed up a bit of a hairball this time out. How can #1 complain about them spending an episode on character development? I know that I can't. And I do care about the characters, but I don't feel like I want the show to go that way. Riggs becoming the object of every woman's desire. I like it as a buddy cop show. This one had more than its fair share of people being shot in the head. And the plot devices, I find myself having to say "yeah.... noooo....whatever." That will wear out.

Graves: So we know the daughter is a recovering party girl, and we know that her love interest is **** Spoiler alert***(self censured) and we know that she's now knows it. But we are supposed to believe that the operation was put on hold as this guy went to the Graves' ranch to hide from the Feds? Makes no sense. But whatevs (again, that'll wear off, so they have to do better!) And we know that it is going to be an issue that Mrs. Graves is going to have to bury. And we know, sure as Vince Foster, she will.

Likewise the son.

Likewise the husband.

There's a reason the show is called Graves, we just assumed it was the family name.

Ash v. Evil Dead. Fun episode, with Ash's sister showing up as, you know, evil, and dead (ish) the original actress "revived" her role.

« Reply #5570 on: November 19, 2016, 03:06:50 AM »

So I watched more of that Black Mirror.

I'm not sure what was up with my Netflix and choosing the season and what not. I think I wound up in season 3. I saw and episode about a girl chasing a girl through some sort of afterlife.

I saw one about a boy being blackmailed and how you felt sorry for him until you found out something in the end. But we're never sure who is pulling the strings.

And I saw one where the mother is calling but the son won't answer, and then he has to travel through a program that tracks his fears.

Not in that order, in fact in reverse that order.

And now I'm awake! Thanks for that.

The thought it engenders is. Netflix achieved what You tube said was it's goal.

High quality talent is making programming. Expensive, well crafted programming. And they're making money off of it, on the internet.

You tube, doesn't. But the expectation (and it has worked to some extent) was that YOU Tube was to democratize content. And don't get me wrong, there is some fine stuff on You Tube. There are people doing great work. But not at the caliber of House Of Cards, for example.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5571 on: December 08, 2016, 04:23:35 PM »

Here is a ten minute video that my favorite acting teacher, Madonna, did with her husband, Ken, just before he died.

Link...

"The Itinerary"

https://vimeo.com/139433518

And her recent work on "Criminal Minds" will be aired on Wednesday, the first week of 2017.

Salute,

Tony V.
barton3
Superhero Member

Ya khochu pechen'ye, tovarich.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5572 on: January 02, 2017, 12:20:58 PM »

The new "Sherlock" last night was great, but sad to lose a cast member.  The plot was preposterous but somehow quite absorbing all the same.  The dialog is so good.   

When the axe came into the woods, many of the trees said 'at least the handle is one of us.' - Aesop
I Am Ex

Do U No me?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5573 on: January 23, 2017, 01:35:50 PM »

Watch Ing and Ed...

The Good Place came back and has left again. The twist was not the one I was expecting. I would have been happy if they had a dopey TV tie up at the season end (which I still expect could be a series end. I just don't know which it is. It'll work either way. But I am glad that I saw it anyway, either way.)

The Young Pope. The opening Homily (which... Spoiler alert... is a dream ) had the missus and I saying to each other, "This sounds like Trump's inauguration speech." It's as if he watched the Episode on Sunday and then "got to work" writing his speech. Spoiler Alert... the real First homily is also like the feeling we got from the DJT IS. (BTW, in the dream sequence there was a trump "miracle of the rain stopping. and in the "real" homily there was a Trump Thunder and lightning storm at the end of the homily. Just funny that Trump seems to think that he is the Young Pope. Funny that he would think he is the young anything!)

The program is semi enjoyable, but mostly because it seems that this mess is going to be wrapped up in 10 eps. Jude Law's character (The Young Pope) is a dislikable Papi! And the functionary looks like he's going to be the antihero's heretical Anti. I'm left to wonder if I am "routing for" the bureaucracy over the change. Meanwhile, you're teased with the admission of the Pope that he is A theist. And you have Cardinals scoffing at the very idea of a "Holy Spirit" having been the cause of the miracle which was that this kid got the job. You know, all that stuff they tell the rubes they should believe.

Problems with the story include the father confessor of the Vatican. That the Pope would encourage him to tell what is told to him in the confessional. And that this guy isn't bombarded with requests to join a conspiracy 24/7. So why does he find it odd that the Pope ask? and why does he decide THIS(?) time to enter into the conspiracy?

It's only 10 Eps, two per week.

This leads me to this next observation:

Taboo.

Oh my brothers and sister in TV, this one is loaded with folks that you have seen elsewhere. If you are one who plays "Where Do I Know This Guy From?" you'll appreciate this program. This is on FX, so it doesn't follow the HBO paradigm of naughty naked nudes in the first few episodes to get you coming back for more (Jude Law did two butt scenes for the beginning of TYP, and there was a dream sequence that left the show open to lots of pedophile comments. I'll leave them to others to make.)

Let me say; thus far, Spoiler alert... The title is not what this program is about. Don't believe them when they warn you of nudity (thus far). This is a story about the East India Company and 18th century English law and politics and business.

There is a dose of voodoo tossed in here and there to keep you on your toes vis-a-vis suspension of disbelief. The main character, James Delehany(?) comes off initially as bad news. Yet he manages to redeem himself with the viewer if not his fellow characters. He and his half sister (Oona Chaplin) have Taboo history. But thus far it is but a minor subplot. Let's hope it stays that way.

What I was getting at, however, is that this is a bad time not to want to want to watch TV. Watching these programs is more akin to great story telling than, it seems to me, anything that is happening in the cinema. Certainly the popular cinema. There has been a flip flop from the TV being the medium of the below average, and the movie houses the museums of high art.

It's as if the premise for Gilligan's Island were "They all died and are now in a purgatory on this island. Written and directed by Ingmar Bergman." Or if Bonanza were directed by Akira Kurosawa. Or if Get Smart were written and directed by Mel Brooks.

I did see Sherlock, I found it interesting albeit not compelling. I have other work that I want to focus on and so I am very reluctant to allow myself to get absorbed into a series (to the dismay of missus who is like a coke dealer, getting me to take a free sample of this one and that one, trying to get me hooked.)

Speaking of which. Ciao.

Yes, and No.
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372]
  Print  

Jump to: