login Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 23, 2017, 06:21:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 350882 times)
Ut
Superhero Member

I'm a Fool to Care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5655 on: May 12, 2017, 12:38:46 PM »

Worth your time documentary illustrates the complicated views surrounding abortion, and how religious zealots in Missouri are wrecking women's lives with self-righteousness and impunity:

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/abortion-stories-women-tell

My favorite part is watching the woman who's job it is to man the front door at the clinic. She's as real as a person gets, IMO.

Forget the Pinot noir. Try the petite Syrah.

Salt Grains Sold Separately

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5656 on: May 17, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »

Better Call Saul: (Spoilers live here, but it's not a big deal, you know what happens anyway)

It's like a Brady Bunch reunion show. Even [redacted]!

The thing I don't really know is what it says about me that I like the plotlines that are "criminal" in nature. We all want Saul Goodman to show up. We all want to see what jinks he gets up to and down to such that he comes to know guys like the vacuum cleaner guy who disappears people. The (re)intro to Saul happened this week. What is nice is that it is consistent with the character going back and forth. Well done, people.

And, yes, the Mike story line is the only thing that has managed to keep me interested in this show thus far. And Mike's story is taking a sabbatical as the Gus v. Hector storyline is taking the front of the stage.

The wife was all "Hector, you dirty dog!" and I reminded her that eventually Hector was the hero of the day (ish).

The writers have made Hector truly despicable in what he wants to do to/with Nacho's father. Actually it is a fairly implausible plotline. Hector sees the Chicken Man's operation and he's flush with cash (He's a drug dealer for crimminy sakes) so why not build an business to launder the cash? I guess I could say "Well Hector isn't smart, after all, he's a Mexican drug carteleno." which is both semi accurate and wildly stereotypical. It's not far from a "Sonny" in Godfather archetype.

There is an echo of Walter and the whole Ricin beans plot at least bubbling with Nacho palming a pill wit his boot. What kind of pill it is, who knows. From my perspective it was a Pepcid that Hector took after chewing the scenery pretending he was in need of a tab of Nitro after hearing that Tucco misbehaved in jail, extending his stay. But Nitro tabs don't look like that.

Truth be told, I can't clearly remember Nacho's intro. He did the burgle at the embezzler's bungled bungalow, and then he hired Saul... Then he had an interaction with Mike... Mike caused Tucco to go to jail... faaaah. We're just wondering if this is the thing that puts him in a wheelchair, no voice, but full mental faculty.

Side note, the guy who seems to have been at least part of the Walter White story just died this past week. He was the cook who make Orange Window Pane(?) LSD, reportedly the purest made.

And then there is Gus. Will we find out who he was in Peru? And what is the deal there? Do they want us to forget what geography is? Why would a Pollos Hermanos truck cross the border? So how would it have smuggled product for Hector to take? So far it doesn't make sense.

It's only a matter of time now before Gale Boetticher shows up (I'm certain the Gail Boettichers across America can't wait!).

Don't care about Chuck. Don't care about Kim.

Tightly Wound, Loosely Wrapped.

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5657 on: May 17, 2017, 11:27:29 AM »

Genius:

Surprisingly entertaining. There is some stuff I still don't get, I think they rushed through the train/lightening thought experiment. And then the explanation of the E=MC2 thing was nearly parenthetical. Not to mention that the abrupt change from kempt to perpetually unkempt was almost just a convenient contrivance.

They talk way too fast. Make Sorkin look like the ground based observer as the train is zooming past while they're speaking at Sorkin speed. Even with the closed captions it is hard to watch and understand. Plus they have about a dozen different accents! Mileva's storyline is sad, especially when you know how it played out earlier in the series (I don't know her "real story" I guess I could look it up.) But the overlay of the Pierre and Marie Currie story is fairly damning of Albert. Nicely done.

If you're not watching it, well, it will be around on digital from now on. When you have the opportunity, just remember that your old friend #1 said, "It's worth your time." (keeping in mind that I don't recommend zombie series, so, if that's what you're into, then, you probably won't like this.)

bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5658 on: May 19, 2017, 09:52:44 AM »

Watching S.1 of Wayward Pines, seeing elements of both "The Prisoner" (the 60's UK series) and Twin Peaks.  A worthy addition to the Mysterious Town genre.  Matt Dillon is always a compelling presence, big or small screen.  Somewhat marred by supporting characters who border on caricature, but it's possible to accept this as we are led into evil places where becoming a caricature of yourself is the best survival strategy. 

Speaking of Twin Peaks....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/19/twin-peaks-snoqualmie-washington-mysterious-deaths

"I have played a crooked game and I have lost."

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5659 on: May 19, 2017, 11:37:46 AM »

Blacklist season ender: Two parts. Spoilers...

I have to say that the second half of the season was well done. Red's cleaner, Kate whom he shot in the head at the endish of last season was a formidable adversary here. The whole thing was wrapped in intrigue and strategery as Red was kept back on his heels as the honor amongst thieves was the edge of the sword he was facing.

The Mr. Kaplan character (who was Kate) had a number of weirdnesses to her beyond the nomination. For example, that she survived the gunshot to the head because the bullet bounced off the metal plate in her head that had been put there because she had been shot in the head once before, and lived. Well That was the sort of thing that made me think that Fonzie's boots were getting wet once more.

But they pulled it out. Yeah there are still questions, like, Why have the confrontation at the apex of the bridge. And How did Keen and Navabi show up at the right exit when the motorcyclist ditched them on one side of the maze of tunnels? And how did they manage to tail a guy speeding away on a motorcycle after he left them flatfooted on the street ? They had to run to their vehicle, AND get in AND start it up AND accelerate towards the guy who was headed in the opposite direction they were facing, AND he was on a motorcycle AND they were in an SUV. NFW! But alright.

And then there is Lizzie. Gawd do I dislike this whiney white hiney! Holy Moley! I really can't stand her. And I am also SO happy that her husband, Tom, is off in his own spin (off). Except that the spin off got cancelled....ugh! You know what I mean?

As to the other cliffs that others are hanging off of. It's a regular Palisades Bemusement Park (or Palisades Abusement Park) with story lines that might go in any direction. Boy scout calls the freelance cleaner after an accidental slip and fall makes him out to be a killer. The Arab and the Israeli finally lock lips. Liz "finds out" that Raymond is her father, but then Dembe says "And you didn't say anything so now she thinks that's the truth that Kate was referring to." (As if everyone that watches the show hasn't asked "Why didn't they just run a paternity test in season one and find out if he's her father?") Not to mention, I'm fairly certain they did the DNA thing before.

And then there is the question of what's his name? The guy who thought Liz was hiz, then when the showdown came, Red told him that the wife was still alive and Red was going to reunite them. Katarina! And now Kate dug the bonz and they're going to be used as blackmail?

Come on! Liz didn't even know that Kate had been her nanny. Kate was a lesbian lover of Katarina. And the nanny to Liz. So now when Liz finds out that Raymond chopped her mother into chunky nuggets she's going to hate him? And that is Kate protecting Liz like she promised Katarina she would?

Thing is. I trust the writers have a story arch to explain all of this. And that's what's still good about this show. They do manage to pull it off (perhaps with directorial license aplenty, but.) 

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5660 on: June 07, 2017, 02:36:24 PM »

Ut asked "What fictional character on TV best represents your identity?" (Not a direct quote)

It's a fun question but you'll have to look in Trump to find its genesis

So I started thinking. I thought of going with Carter Nash, on the idea that it was a very short lived series that might tax those without googles to decipher.

I do have googles that bing and Carter Nash was not hard to find at all. I was entertained to find that he was played by William Daniels. I liked this show, a lot. But I knew it had about the same chance as my other show I liked a lot and that character John Monroe. (I have to admit, either I don't know the guy I think the actor is, it's William Windom, or the actor isn't the guy I have always thought he was.)

I might say that Rob Petrie is sort of me, but then, so is Oscar Madison. I'm more Norm than Cliff but... nah. I'm more Rebecca than Diane... I'm not Sam coach or Woody...

How about you? ?   ?   ?

Reginald Perrin! (probably won't stick with that one but, for now)
Gomez Addams...

More Al Calavicci than Sam Beckett
A little too much Julia Sugarbaker, with a dash of Jim Dial
Murphy Brown's secretary
More Newhart, than Bob. More Larry than either Darryl or Darryl... (unless I'm with my brothers, then I'm more Darryl than either Larry or Darryl, yeah.) (Meanwhile, I never got the anagramish nature of the names, till now.)
Uncle Martin
Crewman with the red shirt on.
Equal parts Illya Kuryakin  and Kelly Robinson
Will McAvoy
Ben Stone (but Jack McCoy too)
As a father I'll say Steven Douglas and John Robinson

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:45:54 PM by #1 » Logged

bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5661 on: June 07, 2017, 03:07:08 PM »

In no order of any kind...

Number Six - The Prisoner (original version) (captures some of the surreal feeling of my so-called life)
Mr. Scott (I like tinkering and getting engines to work properly)
Jim Rockford (trailer on the beach, solves mysteries, hates guns, sardonic sense of humor, etc.)
Fox Mulder (Rockford with a hotter partner and weirder mysteries, I guess)
Lisa Simpson (we share a love of learning, and the life of the mind)
Harold Finch, on Person of Interest (using IT skills to benefit mankind, embracing nerdiness)
Nate Fisher, on 6FU (not sure....some personality traits in common...)
Bob Hartley

.... fun topic....

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:33:49 PM by barto » Logged

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5662 on: June 09, 2017, 12:07:09 PM »

Ooh,

Josiah Bartlet

Ut
Superhero Member

I'm a Fool to Care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5663 on: June 10, 2017, 09:12:10 AM »

I'd say I'm one part Frazier Crane, one part Ray Romano, one part Hawkeye Pierce, adding in Tincture of Louie DePalma and a sprinkle of Herman Munster, finished off with a dash of Mr. Eddie's Father.

Serve with a Rasteau, fresh fruit, and some goat cheese on the side.

It's an acquired taste for most.

bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5664 on: June 10, 2017, 11:07:37 AM »

I'd say I'm one part Frazier Crane, one part Ray Romano, one part Hawkeye Pierce, adding in Tincture of Louie DePalma and a sprinkle of Herman Munster, finished off with a dash of Mr. Eddie's Father.

Serve with a Rasteau, fresh fruit, and some goat cheese on the side....

What, the Romano wasn't enough cheese already? 

I'm more Newhart (Hartley) than Frasier.  And probably more Klinger than Hawkeye, in terms of how I'd be responding to wartime and military life. 

Interesting that Mr. Utley doesn't make your list.  Heh.

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5665 on: June 10, 2017, 11:35:57 AM »

Serve with a Rasteau, fresh fruit, and some goat cheese on the side....

What, the Romano wasn't enough cheese already? 

I'm more Newhart (Hartley) than Frasier.  And probably more Klinger than Hawkeye, in terms of how I'd be responding to wartime and military life. 

Interesting that Mr. Utley doesn't make your list.  Heh.

What is Munster? Chopped Liver?

bankshot1
Superhero Member

Hoosier Daddy!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5666 on: June 10, 2017, 12:33:21 PM »

Adam West

the night grows darker

RIP

"If I were you I'd be pretty pissed, too, but I don't think anyone but you and I know what actually went up there on the board last weekend. I know I stepped over the line, and I did apologize, but I apologize again. It has bothered me all week, frankly, to know that I acted in such a manner"-Utley
bankshot1
Superhero Member

Hoosier Daddy!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5667 on: June 10, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »

what fictional...

good questiom

maybe some Columbo, Norm, Sonny Crockett, Mork, Fonzie, and Alex Reiger

"If I were you I'd be pretty pissed, too, but I don't think anyone but you and I know what actually went up there on the board last weekend. I know I stepped over the line, and I did apologize, but I apologize again. It has bothered me all week, frankly, to know that I acted in such a manner"-Utley
Ut
Superhero Member

I'm a Fool to Care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5668 on: June 10, 2017, 02:14:03 PM »

what fictional...

good questiom

maybe some Columbo, Norm, Sonny Crockett, Mork, Fonzie, and Alex Reiger

You seem more like Cliff Claven than Norm, but that's here. I try not to presume that how we are here is how really are. Because, as Sam put it the other day, "When we presume, it makes a pres out of you and me."

bankshot1
Superhero Member

Hoosier Daddy!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5669 on: June 10, 2017, 02:29:42 PM »

Nope not Cliff, the know nothing civil servant.

I'm more Norm, a street wise cynic looking for my seat at the bar, a cold one and a few laughs

And I see you as more like Frank Burns than Hawkeye

the guy most likedly to get fragged.

but mostly I think you're somewhere between Joffrey Baratheon and Eddie Haskell.

heh

Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379
  Print  

Jump to: