Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
February 22, 2018, 09:20:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 92
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 16502 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #840 on: November 16, 2007, 02:33:46 PM »

Barton,

You see that cat over there Draping Pelham123 ? I found today that I had the chance to write my thoughts on my own female counterpart to that cat who looks like he spends all his time watching movies on tv.

But I don't know where to post it. Perhaps Pets? That is if I don't find some long dissertation in there about Proust; or,  some cartoonist repro artist pretending his posts are poetry. (or,even snide remarks from the resident alien from outer space who has been writing his movie club reviews out of the Criterion Club liner notes, blogs and forums, instead of being a regular guy and writing from scratch).

I've had two days of Pet-mania, among other things.

My cat also views tv from the couch but I am dumbfounded what she gets off on because it displays an advanced empathy quotient. No Teletubies, Barney,or Big Red Dog, for her.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #841 on: November 17, 2007, 02:46:36 PM »

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

Re: Larry David, bicoastal Curbs your enthusiasm for Seinfeld or vice-versa?

Today, I ran across a good one that I can only paraphrase. A poster who got caught in a really bad line-up of comments about Katie Couric dissing Dan Rather had this to say. "I used to like that morning show until I realized it reminded me of an episode of each morning with Katie as Elaine, Al Roker as George, and  Lauer as Jerry."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #842 on: November 17, 2007, 11:42:29 PM »

Well steel yourself for Episode 60, because it is roll on the floor funny.  I love Dr. Bright.

I just watched #60. That finale  took awhile before it crept up on you. Tell me, Do  you think possibly Larry had a brilliant idea when Imus got in trouble about some injudicious choice words?

L.D. on the other hand will take a chance on anything, if he thinks you will get how funny it is to be bizarre.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #843 on: November 18, 2007, 02:17:43 PM »

Madupont:

"My cat also views tv from the couch but I am dumbfounded what she gets off on because it displays an advanced empathy quotient. No Teletubies, Barney,or Big Red Dog, for her."

I don't imagine a cat would care all that much for Clifford the Big Red Dog.  The other two I suspect have soundtracks dominated by shrill voices, which can drive a cat away.  We used to have a cat that would just go nuts over nature shows on PBS that focused on birds -- he would perch in front of the set and, for a while, would paw at the screen.  After a while, as he came to understand that the wall of glass was forever blocking off the birds, he would just stare and make tremulous sounds, his lips trembling.  There were some (to us) amusing experiments, in which he would try going around, or over the top of, the tv set and getting in through the back.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #844 on: November 18, 2007, 03:05:54 PM »

Barton,

I had to put a stop to that immediately - that going around to the back to investigate how to get at the birds.  Fortunately, there are really enough birds around here because of plantings that interest them, so she can observe them on a larger scale: 56inch by 70inch is the smaller, mostly robins but a squirrel visits  on this channel to make her jealous with his speed.  How about 72 by 72 just for Gold Finches, canaries,and red cardinals, and sparrows. Used to get rabbits but I think they were killed off by request of some tenant with seniority or maybe it just went forward automatically by the kind of people who have to kill everything living?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 03:12:00 PM by madupont » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #845 on: November 18, 2007, 03:09:26 PM »

Ps,

As I compared with donotremove about the film,The Story of the Weeping Camel,  Kiki the cat could not leave the room while that was on but was transfixed listening to the  unhappy and complaining camels. One very hungry.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 12:38:38 AM by madupont » Logged
luee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #846 on: November 20, 2007, 05:54:08 AM »

Anyone interested in some classic commercials from the sixties?

http://www.archive.org/details/Televisi1960
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #847 on: November 20, 2007, 01:13:51 PM »

Tonight's "House" looks intriguing...involves a magician as a patient.   Last night has become a tv void, now that Prison Break is on hiatus.   Read a witty and funny sci-fi writer from the SF Bay Area, Rudy Rucker.  Very readable, excellent as a written substitute for tv.

As with most boomers, sixties tv commercials are burned deeply into the longterm storage part of my brain.  I'm reluctant to reactivate the relevant neurons.  (hey, alliteration!)

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #848 on: November 20, 2007, 01:15:26 PM »

Tonight's "House" looks intriguing...involves a magician as a patient.   Last night has become a tv void, now that Prison Break is on hiatus.   Read a witty and funny sci-fi writer from the SF Bay Area, Rudy Rucker.  Very readable, excellent as a written substitute for tv.

As with most boomers, sixties tv commercials are burned deeply into the longterm storage part of my brain.  I'm reluctant to reactivate the relevant neurons.  (hey, alliteration!)

Monday is High Stakes Poker followed by Journeyman.  Come on!
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #849 on: November 20, 2007, 01:21:46 PM »

Well steel yourself for Episode 60, because it is roll on the floor funny.  I love Dr. Bright.

I just watched #60. That finale  took awhile before it crept up on you. Tell me, Do  you think possibly Larry had a brilliant idea when Imus got in trouble about some injudicious choice words?

L.D. on the other hand will take a chance on anything, if he thinks you will get how funny it is to be bizarre.

What I picked up on was the gerbil rumor - a minor news item several months back was Sylvester Stallone's confession that he started the gerbil rumor that went around about Richard Gere in the 90s.  Apparently the two of them hate each other's guts and Sly did that to Gere as a revenge thing.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #850 on: November 20, 2007, 02:38:33 PM »

des,

Two more despicable guys, as human beings, have ever existed on the big screen (or, the small).
luee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #851 on: November 20, 2007, 07:23:18 PM »

Humor; 
24: The Unaired 1994 Pilot

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1788161
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #852 on: November 26, 2007, 07:56:50 PM »

Truman Capote's life--specifically his trip to research and write the classic 'In Cold Blood'--is the focus of this adventurous biopic.

Start Date 11-26-07

End Date 12-23-07

Category HBO Movies

Sub-Category Drama

Cast Toby Jones
Sandra Bullock
Daniel Craig
Peter Bogdanovich
Jeff Daniels
Hope Davis
Gwyneth Paltrow
Isabella Rossellini
Juliet Stevenson
Sigourney Weaver

Director Douglas McGrath

Year 2006

Rating R

ADULT CONTENT
ADULT LANGUAGE
VIOLENCE

Runtime 117 Minutes

nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #853 on: November 27, 2007, 12:23:17 AM »

So what's the title of the Capote biopic on HBO?  It looks interesting.

(I still can't believe In Cold Blood was on a reading list for high schoolers -- at least one 9th grader who did a book report on it was fairly traumatized.)
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #854 on: November 27, 2007, 01:05:07 AM »

And, please, what are the two "Other" shows on the ballot in the header?  (The "Pushing Daisies" vote was mine.  Am still watching, in spite (or because?) I can't imagine a show more diametrically opposed to The Wire catching up on which was a mini-project during T'giving time off.  The Wire has featured a surprising lineup of directors--Agnieska Holland's vision of hell (Ep. 33, I think) was akin to Bosch TV.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 92
  Print  

Jump to: